Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 5:14:01 PM EDT
Hey everyone, Im looking to get a good quality AK, and I like the idea of having one that can fold down compact style like the Vector underfolder. I have shot AK's, Ive never shot one with an underfolding stock before. Does anyone here own one of these, if so what do they think of them?
Ive heard they are uncomfortable to shoot, whats the arfcom consensus on this?

thanks
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Underfolders are a very slick, compact package.  They aren't "uncomfortable" to shoot but some people complain because the cheek weld is not so good.  There's a little bit of a trade-off here, but I really like underfolders!

...and lets face it, underfolders grade high on the COOL-O-METER!  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I just shot my Vector underfolder for the first time this afternoon.  I had never shot an underfolder before, and I can tell you, the cheekweld isn't anymore uncomfortable than a Romy sidefolder.  The Vector shot 6 30 round mags without a hitch.  I shot the first mag to sight it in then another couple for grouping and the last couple mags just as fast as I could pull the trigger for a little torture test.  The rifle ran without a hiccup.  I highly recommend the Vector to anybody who will listen.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a Vector underfolder.  Rifle was great.  Good workmanship and function.  I just did not like shooting the underfolder.  Would not hesitate to buy another Vector product.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Vector is a good deal . Buy it!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I love my Armory underfolder,  but
here is the down side.

Stock locks up tight at first but will loosen more and more with each case of ammo.
Cheek weld is OK, but after stock begins to loosen up
you will notice that your jaw is a little sore after a couple hundred rounds.

+1 on the cool factor.

This weekend I blasted a half dozen mags fulls, with the stock folded (closed).
A small crowd gathered to watch and they all seemed very impressed.
Got a lot of questions and made some new friends.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:00:50 PM EDT
[#6]
It also is super compact for transport. Mine is about 28in. I put a Kobra on an ultimak mount and with the stock folded I can use both eyes with a comfortable cheek weld on the reciever cover. Odd I know but it really works and is practicaly a bullpup.

That definitly turned some heads.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't just talk about it. DO IT!

The cheek weld sucks if you care about such things, but I wouldn't say its uncomfortable.

The vector is very well made and has that 2 year (?) waranty.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:16:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not much for underfolders, but I had one of the Vector underfolders for a short time.  It was built very well.  Fit, finish and workmanship were excellent.  I requested that the rifle sport an Armory USA receiver.  Blaine, from Atlantic Firearms, fulfilled my wishes.  He's great to work with.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:17:55 AM EDT
[#9]
DO IT!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:21:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I like my Vector Underfolder very much.  It is nicely built, accurate, reliable and comes with a 5 year warranty.  I would recommend them highly.

Ron
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#11]
If the cheek weld sucks........
Shoot it with the stock folded!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a Vector U/F that I waited 7 months for and happy I did.
Vector uses very nice Polish AKM kits, which are top notch among the comblocs.

The versatility and compactness of the AK underfolders really make for a very potent, handy weapon.
This is were the AK really shines for me. For getting in or out of vehicles, in or out of buildings, I can even fit it in a backpack or ATV saddlepack for when I head for the hills quite inconspicuously. This is the only rifle I have that can do this.
Personally, I really don't have a problem with the cheekweld; besides, stocks of any type on AKs were never their strong point anyway (even the fixed stock is uncomfortable to me) because after all, they were designed as an assault weapon for quick snap automatic fire. I'm fine with that.

A note on the function of the U/F stock. After some time they do loosen up and develop some play so that's something you'll have to get used to - I guess it's a flaw in the design. I'm used to it by now and just think of my AK as affectionately "worn in" IMO it is still a strong rugged design and the looseness as a tradeoff  is well worth the compactness gained.

With a Polish-kitted  Vector you'll also get the very nice "Old school Soviet" look, beautiful mint condition (mine were) laminated handguards.

Vector is just a damned good bang for the buck.

tacman22, I hope all this helped your decision!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy it. The cheek weld is fine for me and the stock is good on MY shoulder ,but I am chunky guy. LOL
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I have had my Vector for 1 week so far - easily the nicest AK I own.  I love the fit and finish on this gun.

They also offer a discount to AR15.COM members....cant beat that.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#15]
How much was it out the door?  How much did you save with the discount? =)
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How much was it out the door?  How much did you save with the discount? =)

The gun is $589 - the AR15.COM price was $559 - so it was a $30 discount.  Shipping was $20 and my FFL transfer was $15.  Total OTD was $594........
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:44:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Do you need to be a Team Member or just a member? Shoot the gun with the stock folded? I thought the idea was the hit the target, not spray ammo! And the folding stock was so you can hide it in your golf clubs.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:44:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Ummmmm. . . .I think that pistol grip is ILLEGAL
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:55:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I got my Vector Polish underfolder a few days ago.  It came with a manual that listed the US parts.  The pistol grip was not listed as a US part.  The 6 parts listed were gas piston, muzzle break, receiver and FCG.  At least on mine, as far as I know, the pistol grip can be original Polish (and it looks a lot better with the Polish grip on it).

Whole Bunches
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:32:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Do it now before they are all gone!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:51:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I got my Vector Polish underfolder a few days ago.  It came with a manual that listed the US parts.  The pistol grip was not listed as a US part.  The 6 parts listed were gas piston, muzzle break, receiver and FCG.  At least on mine, as far as I know, the pistol grip can be original Polish (and it looks a lot better with the Polish grip on it).

Whole Bunches

My US parts are:

Receiver
hammer
trigger
disconnector
gas piston
slant brake
pistol grip

So I took the US pistol grip off the Vector and put it on my Romak 2.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Do you need to be a Team Member or just a member? Shoot the gun with the stock folded? I thought the idea was the hit the target, not spray ammo! And the folding stock was so you can hide it in your golf clubs.

No need to be a Team Member - just a regular member.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Those Vector AKMs  pictured are very nice...+...the Special Pricing for this web site... = Temptation.
Were they all assembled on Armory USA receivers ?........................................................................................Thanks
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#24]
those are some sexy guns
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#25]
+1 for Atlantic Firearms, +1 for Blaine at Atlantic, +1 for the Vector Underfolders!!

~ Get it!  You definatley wont regret it.  ~

Far left one is the Vector Underfolder from atlantic.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Instante,

I count 13 guns in your pic...a very unlucky number...

You should go out and buy #14 right away!!!

Here's your excuse...you owe me one...(this worked with my wife!)
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Instante, nice collection!
it needs a 1911 tho
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#28]
This is probably a stupid question, but as far as the issue of the underfolder lossening over time; You can buy just a stock set and hypothetically replace the underfolder with a new undefolder or sidefolding stock later cant you? How much trouble is it to change out the stock on an AK?
NOOB here.

Oh and I went ahead and ordered it. Thanks arfcom!

tac
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I just ordered one last night and was wondering the same thing. If the stock is not for me, in time can I just swap it for a full stock or is there more to it?

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#30]
i dont think you can, i think it requires you to drill out some rivets and remove the trunion and then you need a trunion for a full stock or a bulgy side folding stock riveted back in
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
This is probably a stupid question, but as far as the issue of the underfolder lossening over time; You can buy just a stock set and hypothetically replace the underfolder with a new undefolder or sidefolding stock later cant you? How much trouble is it to change out the stock on an AK?
NOOB here.

Oh and I went ahead and ordered it. Thanks arfcom!

tac

You would need to replace the trunion to put a standard stock on an underfolder AK or vice versa.  This isnt as simple as removing some screws.  Its easier to buy what you want to start with.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Tag - I need to read this thread later.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Instante, nice collection!
it needs a 1911 tho

Sorry, that is just a partial pic of my collection...I do have a Kimber TLE not pictured....it was in my car that night and it was just too damn cold to go get it for the pic....

Congrats on the order!!!!  You'll love it!

-instante
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top