Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/16/2006 5:34:43 PM EDT
www.gunauctions.org/auction/viewitem.asp?Item=43750639

I have never seen one of these. How many are estimated to be in the country?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I think there were SKS-D and SKS-M models of these and they show up from time to time.

There was also a company that manufactured a kit so that you could do the modification yourself and a friend of mine did his own a long time ago.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#2]
That one was not modified, it came from the factory accepting AK mags. They are fairly uncommon, but the RAREST is the one that has the bayonet and stripper clip slot on it. There were VERY few of those imported.

SKS-D= the one with the bayonet that takes AK mags

SKS-M= the one with no bayo lug, but takes AK mags

They go for $300-$400.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Model D or M:  It's commonly believed the "D" stands for detachable or "M" for magazine, as in detachable AK-47 magazine.  These are sometimes referred to as "Sportsters", more on that in the Sportster section below.  These came in a variety of different stocks, some better than others.  Some include Monte Carlo, Thumbhole, and piece of scrap 2x4 lumber.  The technique for converting a fixed magazine SKS to a magazine fed SKS was perfected by Midwest Ordinance.  They invited representatives from China Jin An to the US to learn the process and before long, they started making the D model in China.  The Thumbhole pictured right looks better in this picture than they look in real life.  I think someone carved away the back part of the thumbhole section to make for a smoother, more graceful look.  Most simply have a roundish hole with hard edges.  

simonov.net/ubertypes.htm
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:03:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I got my SKS-M from J&G for $119 back in the day.  Still have it unfired and put a poly Drag style stock on it so it could take drums.  Still have the original ugly square stock.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:18:10 AM EDT
[#6]
it's one of my all time faves improved feed angle over standard sks plus ( I know I shouldn't say this here!)I believe the sks action tends to be more accurate & as reliable as long as you don't try to put aftermarket mags in it . mines an m7 morks like a Swiss watch! R1150R
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Anybody know the url for the company that has the AK magazine conversion for the SKS?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Anybody know the url for the company that has the AK magazine conversion for the SKS?

It was Midwest Ordnance I believe in MI but the stopped making them when the ban was instituted I believe.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:17:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a factory Norinco that uses AK mags. It has a Monte Carlo style stock and no bayonet lug with a 16" barrel. I love that gun, it's way more accurate than either one of my 2 AK's.

I paid a pretty hefty price for it at the time, I paid $239. That was when you could get regular Norinco SKS's for less than $100.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I think that is worth it to have the convience of using standard AK magazines.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I 've got the later Norinco version made in '93 w/ no bayonet lug and a MonteCarlo style stock. Pinned barrel, but chrome lined. Came with a 5 round detachable, but uses all AK mags -  I've tried, Chinese, Polish, E. German, Romanian. Runs like a sewing machine. Paid $169.00 at a show in Birmingham NIB, have still got the receipt. Second from left in photo.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Here are both of mine.  I bought the one on top at a gun shop for $250 a few years ago.  I found the bottom one for sale in a local newspaper.  It had the folding stock on it and came with all the mags shown for $250.  I had the extra wooden stock for it.  I still have one more stock laying around.

I had an SKS-D back in 94 that I picked up for $200.  I sold it for $250 in 97, I had no idea how rare they were when I sold it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#14]
They are great. A little more exacting in how you rock the mag into place....Takes more time on a reload.   Also tend to be a smidge more accurate than the AK(47- mak 90) brethren. I have had good experience with two of them. I prefer the thumbhole stock.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the information. Is there anybody here who doesn't learn new stuff every day??
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Put a scope on mine and it's a fun plinker
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I got a bunch of the Yugos when they first came in, one was modified to take AK mags before it was imported.  There were also a few other differences than other SKS's.  Seems like it was pick of the litter and then modified slightly

I have the Chinese models also.  The Yugo is different.  It also has a three hole pattern on the left side of stock/receiver that I have not been able to locate mount for

Also, has nice trigger, modified short gas rod, slightly different grenade launcher...

I can send pics if anyone is interested.   Have sent to different experts, no one has seen one before.

It came in the country w/10 round box...   I have dozens of 7.62x39 rifles, so have quite a few variants...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I have one that is just a normal SKS with the mag conversion, the seller told me that a few were imported like that, and then the chinese started to "sporterize" them by removing the lugs, and adding the Monte Carlo, then finally, the thumbhole versions, mine is also a full lenth rifle, not the shorter "Paratrooper" length.

250 from J and G sales about 2 years ago, during the ban actually, I thought it was a steal.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#19]
The gun show in Minnesota had a Norinco NIB paratrooper for $400.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

A guy I know just sold one for $130.00.  Idiot, I told him I could get more for it, I would have paid him more myself.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A guy I know just sold one for $130.00.  Idiot, I told him I could get more for it, I would have paid him more myself.

That's really too bad you couldn't pick it up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:31:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I drooled over the one at the MN show both saturday and sunday.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's really too bad you couldn't pick it up.

He went and put it on consignment at a gun shop.  They probably told him it sold and bought it themselves and took their consignment cut out of it.  The guy isn't very bright.  I already have one but I would have bought it and given it to my brother if he wanted it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:33:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I ran across a type M at a gun show a couple months ago. The guy was a SKS nut with dozens of different versions. This type M para model had the bayonette and the monte stock was cut out for it. If it wasnt factory- someone did a heck of a job. He was asking $250, in hindsight that was probably a darn good deal.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top