Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 1:41:18 PM EDT
I am cheap, so what ak can I get that will run well but not break the bank?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Vector and Global Trades both make nice, mid-priced AKs.

You could even get a Century Yugo underfolder.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#2]
WASR baby, WASR.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Vector and Global Trades both make nice, mid-priced AKs.

+1 IMHO most "AR" guys who buy an AK should step up to at least a Vector/GT AK and skip the WASR.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Romanian SAR-1, Egyptian MAADI
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:37:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the Vector. If you want to shoot mine one day let me know, then U can see and feel it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Get the Vector. If you want to shoot mine one day let me know, then U can see and feel it. img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/M4-TUNA/DSC00275.jpg

Cool, will you be at the next FDCC match?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get the Vector. If you want to shoot mine one day let me know, then U can see and feel it. img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/M4-TUNA/DSC00275.jpg

Cool, will you be at the next FDCC match?

I hope it is been long time not going for me or we could meet up in town U in Jax? OH here is one for sell.VectorPosted five minutes ago.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#8]
M4 Im just north of Gainesville, and I have not been in Jax enough to know east from west.

Quoted:
and skip the WASR.

Are the WASR unreliable? What exactly are we talking about here? I am not looking for a collector piece, just something that can spit fire. I have seen some Romanian AKs that seem to be cheap in price. Are they prone to failing?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with others, skip the SAR's and the WASR's, spend 50-75 more bucks and get a Century Yugo Underfolder from CFS or AIM.  You will be glad you did in the long run.  I have personally wore out a SAR1.  Receiver holes started elongating after sevral thousand rounds.  This will not happen with a 1.6mm receiver AK whether it be a Yugo, Arsenal, or other heavy receiver model AK.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#10]
If yuo've got the money, then get a good one.

Otherwise Romanians(SAR-1 & GP-Wasr) will spit fire just fine. SAR-1s are no longer imported so they are a little harder to find and eventually the supply will dry up. GP wasrs are still imported. they dont have dimples, but they are cheaper than an SAR-1 even and make a great starter AK. $300 bucks is a good price for a GP wasr.  if you were to wear it out(which would take a while) just go spend another $300 and get another one- or after you get totally hooked buy a little more expensive one.

Another thing- GP Wasr's are sold in a lot more stores than your more hard core stuff. usually you have to get vectors and such of the interweb and deal with the whole FFL transfer crap.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#12]
WASR GP

pics of the worn out SAR1???  the entire reciever should be heat treated on the romanian stuff?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
and skip the WASR.

Are the WASR unreliable? What exactly are we talking about here? I am not looking for a collector piece, just something that can spit fire. I have seen some Romanian AKs that seem to be cheap in price. Are they prone to failing?

no actually they are just ugly,...mine has functioned flawlessly,..but has an annoying wiggle if you use a old beat up mag. WASR's are great starter AK's,....you can beat the crap out of it and it wont make a diffrence,.. it will shoot no matter what you do or dont do (cleaning)

either way what ever AK you get you should have alot of fun with it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 on that

early WASR's had a bad century trigger group. the new wasr GP's have a tapco group. it should function 100%  aside from the crappy finish and unfinished wood

aim surplus sells the wasrs cheaper than atlantic
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#15]
As an AR guy you are accustomed to a higher grade of accuracy, and my wasr shoots 4-5.

I really just wish I would have laid down the extra $ for a good AK when I got that, but Im in a minority among people who love their WASRs to death.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top