Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/9/2006 12:06:30 PM EDT
Will a G3 mag fit and function in a cetme??? I got that 50 mag, 50 dollar deal from tapco, now I cant find a G3 clone, but have run across some cetme's, and They look sorta similar. So I was thinking about just getting one of those instead. Or should I keep looking for a G3 clone rifle.

thanks
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:28:30 PM EDT
[#1]
They're pretty similar, in fact, they're almost identical. Almost. Most Cetmes won't accept G3 mags, but some will. Mine won't.

I would avoid the Century-assembled Cetmes and G3s if I were you. I don't know about the more recent ones, but all of them that I've seen have been junk. Cocking tubes welded on crooked, mags (Cetme or G3) that don't fit at all, and misfeeds every other shot.

It's possible to rework the magwells to make mags fit and this usually cures the feeding probems. I've reworked my Cetme receiver to fit Cetme mags and I tihnk I've gotten it to feed, but I heven't shot it yet.

Century can barely build an AK, there's no way they could build the Cetme/G3 receiver. They're simple, but it's sure hard to stamp and weld a part to the tolerances required.

Century builds G3s now, I think they ran out of Cetme parts. You should check their website. JLD builds G3s of much greater quality, but they're expensive.

If you're thinking about going to a gun show or something and picking up an inexpensive used Cetme, just make sure the mags fit well and maybe bring a few snap caps or dummy rounds or something and try it out before you lay out the cash.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The "cast" receiver model will fit them better than the stamped versions.  Not the bulky aluminum jobs, but the cast steel models.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a cetme that feeds better from g3 mags than it does from cetme mags...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've got a cetme that feeds better from g3 mags than it does from cetme mags...

+1,

My cetme came with HK stamped G3 mags straight from the factory. The newer, noban models ive seen all ship with aluminum HK stamped mags
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#6]
well thanks, guess I might be picking up a cetme soon.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Exactly what Chris_1522 said.

I own a CETME and its been my expierence that the regular Cetme mags are usually a tight fit and G3 mags dont want to work at all.

My rifle is a turd though and usually stovepipes, some people can use both mags no problem. Would go with a JLD rifle from what I've been reading.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 2 cetmes both will use the g3 mags, as well as the cetme steel and also the synthetic ones. The synthetics needed a little sanding on the edges.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Century CETME and need to file the mags jkust a touch for firm lock-up.

I'm barely capable with tools but this fix is obvious and simple.   Then they run like a champ.

The CETME (with the old ban compensator) is great for clearing out the sinuses.  What a blast - but recoil is negligible.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Here a couple good forum;
http://www.cetmerifles.com/forum/
http://www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=47
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Century CETME with cast stainless steel receiver.

G3 mags and CETME mags both bit, equally well.  Both feed fine as far - no problems with the gun to date.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:21:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I used to have a CETME.  I used to take the rifle into a local gun shop to try each G3 mag individually before buying.  That's when they were about $20 ea.  About half of them would fit.  When you can get 50 for $50, go for it.  Sell the ones that won't work in your rifle, many of them will!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top