Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 1:28:40 PM EDT
One of the guys I work with wants to sell his Maadi to get a Thompson Center. He says he ran a few mags thru it years ago and has not shot it since. He says he has a few mags  for it and the gun is in pretty much new condition. He wants $350 for it as it's pretty close to the cost of what he wants. So, is that a fair price and how is the quality of one of these? It is not a underfolder it just has the regular stock on it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Whos the importer?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't ask, but I doubt he knows. He said he paid $350 for it back in 87-88 or so. He cant remember for sure. Which ones should I stay away from and which importers are OK?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#3]
If its a true pre-ban (which would be 87-88) jump on that NOW.

That is a steal.

If you dont want it, please forward me the sellers info.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If its a true pre-ban (which would be 87-88) jump on that NOW.

That is a steal.

If you dont want it, please forward me the sellers info.

What he said, i'll buy it if you or SVT dont. Its a damn good deal.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#5]
He works in my department at work but in another city. It came up as we were chatting today. I know he is broke as he is building a new house and can't swing the funds for the Thompson without selling something. I've heard of a Maadi but I had no idea what one was worth. The last AK I bought was a Rinco NIB for $300.

Does the Maadi take the same mags and such and is there much difference between the Egyptian model and others?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
He works in my department at work but in another city. It came up as we were chatting today. I know he is broke as he is building a new house and can't swing the funds for the Thompson without selling something. I've heard of a Maadi but I had no idea what one was worth. The last AK I bought was a Rinco NIB for $300.

Does the Maadi take the same mags and such and is there much difference between the Egyptian model and others?

Takes the standard magazines. Not a whole lot of difference between a Maadi and any other AKM - just country of manufacture.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, if I don't decide to get it I'll see if he will post it here. He lives in "cow country" and I doubt most people where he lives even know what an AK is. If it does not say "gauge" somewhere on the BBL they are lost.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Current pricing on a Maadi imported by Steyr through Secaucus, NY is about $1K.

Dang, seriously, are they that much? I will say tho, I was at the gun shop, and prices on their AKs have gone up about 200 bucks from about 3 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Current pricing on a Maadi imported by Steyr through Secaucus, NY is about $1K.

Dang, seriously, are they that much? I will say tho, I was at the gun shop, and prices on their AKs have gone up about 200 bucks from about 3 weeks ago.

If its a Steyr. The only way to find out is to see it for yourself.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I just left a message for him to call me so we'll see whats up.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Taggin this one.   If he's near CMU let me know.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well, I just left a message for him to call me so we'll see whats up.

If it is a 80's import you better buy it.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I see that the Maadi does not have that good of a reputation in the "stickys" and seems to always list pretty close to the bottom as far as quality. Rifle is in Marshall Mi on the 94" corridor.

I dont have all that many "iron curtain" guns, just a rinko mak 90, and SKS, a Russian SKS and a new preban AK I ended up getting for $450 but it is one that seems to be on/off again as far as receiver quality.

My other stuff is Fals, M1As, Garands, M1 carbines, and Colt ARs.

I bought the MAK 90 still in the box and I was pretty happy with how it shot, it seems to have a very, very heavy BBL as compared with others I have seen. I don't know if some came that way or what.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#16]

I see that the Maadi does not have that good of a reputation in the "stickys" and seems to always list pretty close to the bottom as far as quality

That is the post-ban Maadi.  Guys like the pre-ban model Maadi because of the higher quality barrel and its Russian roots.  I believe the later ones were lower quality and then you have Century Int. Arms butchering on them if I remember right.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Get it! Get it like you will die if you don't!

Hell that is an amazing price, if I had that opportunity I would be finished writing a check before he could finish the first sentence!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
He works in my department at work but in another city. It came up as we were chatting today. I know he is broke as he is building a new house and can't swing the funds for the Thompson without selling something.

If it is a Steyr Maadi...
If you want it offer him $500.00 for it which is more than he wants.  If you don't want it, then tell him he needs to do some research and sell it for what he can get out of it.  If he takes your $500.00 then he should know that it is worth more than what he originally asked.  How good of a friend is this?  Lifelong like a brother or just a work aquaintance?  

I've hooked some "friends I work with" up and it usually ended in one of three ways.  I sold them a gun at a great price that they always wanted and said they couldn't find.  

Example 1: They sold it at a profit a couple of weeks later.

Example 2: Hooked a guy up with a SAR-1 at the price I bought it for because he really wanted it.  Complained it was defective and threatened to do alot of not very nice things to me.  I couldn't understand it as I had test shot the rifle and knew it was in perfect condition.  Long story short, Bad mouthed me at work, people at work said I ripped the guy off, he later took the rifle to a gunsmith who later told me the "friend" was full of sh*t and there was nothing wrong with the rifle.  I offered a refund, person refused, sold rifle at a large profit.

Example 3: Sold rifles to two other people at work, never heard a complaint.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#22]
If he bought it new in 87 or 88, that's 1 to 2 years after the import ban, and could be a ACC/Knox???

Still worth the $300, but not the $1k..
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Actually he's just an aqquaintance. He said he didn't care about the rifle, all he really wanted was enough money out of it to buy what he wanted. I'm pretty careful about not ripping someone off who does not know guns but he is pretty knowledgeable about them, has about 60 guns, but is not interested in that type anymore and just wants to get rid of it. Like I said, he is in a town that has no gunstore, and is surrounded by farmers and yuppies, not exactly the crowd you sell an AK too.

I don't know for sure exactly who imported it yet anyways so for all I know it could be a century or something like that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If he bought it new in 87 or 88, that's 1 to 2 years after the import ban, and could be a ACC/Knox???

Actually the import ban was in 89, after the Stockton CA school yard shooting.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#27]
If it is just an aquaintance, go for it, don't offer him more than he asked.  In that case he should do his research before offering to sell it first.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Ok, got some more info from him today. He said it was imported by PARs. Out of Tennesee I believe. He said he ran about 100 rounds thru it. It has a laminated stock [NOT thumbhole] and he still has the box and all accessories. He said he just wants $350 out of it, and thats just the price he paid for it. He said he would be happy with getting that.

So, who was PARs? and if you know, were they any good. That is the importer stamp on the receiver. Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Ok, got some more info from him today. He said it was imported by PARs. Out of Tennesee I believe. He said he ran about 100 rounds thru it. It has a laminated stock [NOT thumbhole] and he still has the box and all accessories. He said he just wants $350 out of it, and thats just the price he paid for it. He said he would be happy with getting that.

So, who was PARs? and if you know, were they any good. That is the importer stamp on the receiver. Thanks for any info.

Post-ban. Theyre good rifles, but now instead of the $1K price tag, $350-400 is on par.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually the import ban was in 89, after the Stockton CA school yard shooting.

Ahh Shit, Were's my brain? I'm thinkin MAchine Guns.. Course, my brain is allways in that gutter..
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#31]
So an AK imported by PARs is a post ban then? How can it not have a thumbhole stock then. He said he has not done anything to it since he bought it. Is PARs still in business, and if not were their rifles and good? What would be the difference be besides no Bayo lug and I would assume no BBL device? If thats all it's worth maybe I will pass on it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
So an AK imported by PARs is a post ban then? How can it not have a thumbhole stock then. He said he has not done anything to it since he bought it. Is PARs still in business, and if not were their rifles and good? What would be the difference be besides no Bayo lug and I would assume no BBL device? If thats all it's worth maybe I will pass on it.

Some one could have changed the furniture in the shop before he bought it.  I think pars is gone,the rifles are basically sound,some of the details may be rough.  There should be no bayonet lug and hooks on the fsb for a bayonet.  There may or may not be threads,is there a barrel nut?  $350 might be top end,it sounds like there are no US parts on it.  It will cost about $80 minimum to get the parts count right on this one.

Email or PM me, if you don't want it. I am interested in this and can get down in that area next week.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Well, then he never had it since the 80's.  It would have US parts in it so it can have the regular stock on it and is nothing special.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#34]
I'll give him $350...doesn't matter if he bought it in 1989, 1889, or yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Going to try to meet up with him tomorrow and take a look at it. Depends on the weather as it might be a bit nasty and I have to be available for work.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top