Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 7:44:53 PM EDT
I need some help!!!

I want to put a new muzzle brake on my SAR-1, I m tired of the standard barrel tip....
I just want to know if I need a threaded barrel to put a new muzzle brake on or if its ok to just go ahead and put one on???......

Plz help……Thx
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
To do it right, the muzzle needs to be threaded.  I used a kit I rented from WJM on the EE, and had the job done in five minutes.

There are set screw brakes, but generally these end up being downrange projectiles.  Yes, some have found ways to make them more permanant, but for a little time and a very small expense, you can thread the barrel yourself, and be much happier with the results.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
To do it right, the muzzle needs to be threaded.  I used a kit I rented from WJM on the EE, and had the job done in five minutes.

There are set screw brakes, but generally these end up being downrange projectiles.  Yes, some have found ways to make them more permanant, but for a little time and a very small expense, you can thread the barrel yourself, and be much happier with the results.

+1
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the detent pin and spring from K-VAR or make one.  Rent the kit from wjm.  knock the cross pins out of your FSB and take it off or move it back a bit so you can thread corretly.  Use thread cutting oil.  Follow the directions included with the kit.  Put FSB back in place, install detent pin and spring, put both cross pins back in FSB.  Put your brake on and you are ready to go after you clean your bore to make sure no metal shavings are in it .
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#4]

knock the cross pins out of your FSB and take it off or move it back a bit so you can thread corretly

Easier said than done apparently. I've tried on two SAR-1s now and neither pin would budge. I beat the hell out of one, but havent tried too hard on the other one because its NIB. I must be the most unlucky bastard with these things, I'm going to have to take it somewhere to be drilled out.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:52:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

knock the cross pins out of your FSB and take it off or move it back a bit so you can thread corretly

Easier said than done apparently. I've tried on two SAR-1s now and neither pin would budge. I beat the hell out of one, but havent tried too hard on the other one because its NIB. I must be the most unlucky bastard with these things, I'm going to have to take it somewhere to be drilled out.

Most of mine have come right out.  On one, the rear one would come out, but the front one would not.  On one, they actually tack welded the pin.  A couple of ways to get them out.

A hefty 5/16" center punch to break the pin loose and then a smaller punch to drive it out.  The 5/16" punch will appear to be to large but it is just used to break the cross pin loose and get it moving. It won't break/bend like a regular punch.  I ruined several punches before trying this.  If this doesn't work, use a mapp gas torch to heat the area and then use the center punch.  

If there is a tack weld, grind it down, use the center punch to start it moving.

Still can't get it out?  Center punch the pin, get a good set of drill bits, I used a 10 inch Ryobi drill press with the barrel in a vise on the press table and someone holding the rifle steady and drill the pin out with adequate lubricant.  Make a new cross pin.

If you don't remove or move back the front site base a bit, your threads won't be right, most likely.  With the pins out, I was able to take the front site base right off.  On another rifle, I didn't bother to remove it, just tapped it back a bit to get that last turn with the threading die.  Used a plastic mallet.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:07:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Thx Guys  hot!!!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top