Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/23/2006 10:40:16 AM EDT
I don't think this one has been done before, but please forgive me if it has.  How many, if provided the time machine and given their choice, would choose your SEMI-AUTO AK for WWII combat over any of the available weapons of the time?  I know the Stg44 probably comes close, but I personally think that even as a semi-auto, the stamped AKM is still slightly superior.  Primarily because of weight and the handguards.  Stg handguards are sheet metal and heat up very quickly.  Even as a semi, I think the AK would still win out for overall utility over any of the SMGs or rifles of the time for common combat conditions.  At long range, it would suffer in comparison to the M1, Mauser, etc., but for CQB to 200, I would prefer the AK.

Since this is the AK forum, I know it's asking the choir if they want to sing, but maybe someone else looks at it from a different angle.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I agree.  For me, it would be a tough choice between the Thompson M1 "Tommy Gun" SMGs and the AK-47, but I'd probably opt for the full-auto AK.  

Interesting question.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Full-auto AK is no contest.  That is why I specifically limited the choice to a semi-auto AK.  Preferably one you happen to have lying around.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Full-auto AK is no contest.  That is why I specifically limited the choice to a semi-auto AK.  Preferably one you happen to have lying around.

+1 7.62x39 far superior to 45 ACP.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#4]
either the AK or something like the G43...hard choice
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#5]
dasiy red ryder"put your eye out"
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I can only say yeah I agree because I've shot a STG44

It is pretty large for a weapon of it's type and yes, heavier.  It sounds like an AR15 when firing (to the shooter), a distinct sproing sound can be heard.  The recoil is mild about the same or less than the 7.62 AK.  

Personally though, I think my weapon of choice if it had been improved, would definately have been the FG42.  Those things are amazing.  A select/fire 8mm that I've seen fired full auto is more controllable than one would think.  Just a sweet weapon all together.

-mark

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/markawil/mark_MP441.jpg

It is pretty large for a weapon of it's type and yes, heavier.  It sounds like an AR15 when firing (to the shooter), a distinct sproing sound can be heard.  The recoil is mild about the same or less than the 7.62 AK.  

Personally though, I think my weapon of choice if it had been improved, would definately have been the FG42.  Those things are amazing.  A select/fire 8mm that I've seen fired full auto is more controllable than one would think.  Just a sweet weapon all together.

-mark

wow mark. If you dont mind me asking, how does one acquire an STG44? so cool.......
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/markawil/mark_MP441.jpg

-mark

wow mark. If you dont mind me asking, how does one acquire an STG44? so cool.......

You can start with a bank account full of money.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:14:07 AM EDT
[#9]

FG42 looks cool, and is cool on paper, but I have always been told that they were not popular. Also because of the short barrel (for a full size round), they produce ALLOT of flash.... In combat, this brings allot of attention.

An AK would be cool, but where would you get ammo?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top