BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 12:19:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Winchester is crap in every way.  I wouldn't own anything with the Winchester or Olin name on it. Pay back is a bitch for all the people they have screwed when they built buildings to produce materials for them only to have Winchester say "oh well we don't need you after all".

There are better firearms and better ammo out there.  Move on and let Darwin sot it out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, screw industry in the US!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yeah, screw industry in the US!

200 workers down from 19k, hardly an industry.  Obviously they do not produce what their potential buyers want at a price they want or they would be in good shape.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Politics aside,its always sad to see an American Plant close while production continues overseas.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
what about their line of ammunition?

guess that doesn't affect that part of the company, or maybe I'm thinking of a completely different corp.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

guess that doesn't affect that part of the company, or maybe I'm thinking of a completely different corp.

Olin makes the ammo.  It is, IMO absolute crap unless you pay out the ass for the high end stuff.  Much of it isn't even made by Olin but S & B.  Quality varies from great to poor depending on the day.

Besides, Winchester is owned by FN of Belguim, hardly another American industry going to the waysaide.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I believe Olin makes the ammunition,or at least whats not contracted out.

edit to add; I really don't care about the Belgium based Company,I care about the 200 Americans who will be out of work.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Politics aside,its always sad to see an American Plant close while production continues overseas.

Like JOHNO, this is what I was getting at. I think its sad, another blow to the US.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Get rid of the unions, start making quality products here for a decent price and you won't have that problem.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I actually saw this scrolled on bottom of foxnews today during the car chase.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#11]
That's a shame.  I learned to hunt with a Winchester.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Olin makes the ammo.  It is, IMO absolute crap unless you pay out the ass for the high end stuff.  Much of it isn't even made by Olin but S & B.  Quality varies from great to poor depending on the day.

Besides, Winchester is owned by FN of Belguim, hardly another American industry going to the waysaide.

the question was does this affect their ammunition which I buy on a regular basis.

some of us enjoy $7.50 a box for 40 rounds of .223 at wally world for our ARs, and $11 a box of 9mm 100 rounds, and the quality is very good in my opinion for the cost.

-mark
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:16:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Uhm, that $7 a box Walmart ammo you buy is made by Seller and Bellot, Israel...................

Could care less about you opinion as well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Get rid of the unions, start making quality products here for a decent price and you won't have that problem.

You must be off your meds!I'm Union all the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#15]
nice edit.

you accidentally took off:

"because you never know what you're talking about anyway."
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
nice edit.

"because you never know what you're talking about either."

Decided to take it to IM.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#17]
for along time now unless you bought a lever action you were buying an FN or something else. sounds like winchester will soon be just another name traded around like Charles Daly.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
for along time now unless you bought a lever action you were buying an FN or something else. sounds like winchester will soon be just another name traded around like Charles Daly.

It already was.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

don't really care what your opinion is.

the question was does this affect their ammunition which I buy on a regular basis.

some of us enjoy $7.50 a box for 40 rounds of .223 at wally world for our ARs, and $11 a box of 9mm 100 rounds, and the quality is very good in my opinion for the cost.

-mark

The first W in WWB was just a word, the plant thats closing has nothing to do with WWB ammo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

-mark

There are two different companies here.
Olin owns the Winchester trademark. They make and sell ammunition.
Olin allows USRAC to use the name.

Had you read the original post, you'd know,

, Olin sold the plant to U.S. Repeating Arms along with the right to use the Winchester name until next year.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#20]
thanks for the feedback.  I missed that in the article.

-mark
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
nice edit.

"because you never know what you're talking about either."

Decided to take it to IM.  

yes, and your message was even more immature.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Uhhh... S&B is NOT Isreal, it is from the Czech Republic. Also, the only ammo that Winchester subcontracts (at least recently) is 7.62x54R!

I have a Winchester 1300 shotgun. But it is made at the same plant about to close. This is the ONLY pump-action shotgun that can reliably feed Aguila short shotgun shells (which litterally double the capacity of any tube fed mag). Also, Winchester makes the FASTEST firing pump action shotgun on the market, with their rotating bolt "SpeedPump" system. I have had this shotgun for around 7 years and it still looks excellent, shoots excellent, and was used to get me my FIRST squirrel and my FIRST deer. This was also my first gun. It was $200 at Wal-Mart, not only the best pump shotgun they had but also the cheapest.

Winchester 1300= reliable, fast, cheap, durable, excellent.

I hope the plant survives, as well as the workers there who are threatened by this potential close.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I remember years ago wanting a Winchester lever action 30/30. But when I checked them out at the store the action seemed loose and cheaply made. The Marlin felt much better. Made me wonder if  they were just getting by on their "name" instead of on their quality. But as it turned out  my children absorbed the money and I couldn't afford the gun anyway.
Kids tend to do that. I'm glad they're almost grown now and both have jobs!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Speaking of jobs,its time for me to go to my over paid Union job! Carry on,I'll be back tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#25]
They could be selling the crap out of those right now.  Cowboy action shooting is getting huge.  They need to look real hard at the market, and what is selling.

I suspect that since their right to use the name goes away this year, there is no point in making 1894s there.  They will be 'just another knockoff' if they don't say winchester.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I remember years ago wanting a Winchester lever action 30/30. But when I checked them out at the store the action seemed loose and cheaply made. The Marlin felt much better. Made me wonder if  they were just getting by on their "name" instead of on their quality. But as it turned out  my children absorbed the money and I couldn't afford the gun anyway.
Kids tend to do that. I'm glad they're almost grown now and both have jobs!

Just handled a Winchest and a Marlin lever action at the gun store the other day, and came to the same conclusion- the marlin wasa  much better made gun for less money.

Sad to see Winchester go, but it sounds like it was a dying husk of a company already.  Most of the great firearms companies of the U.S. seem to be going the way of the dodo, sad to see that American industry has been gutted so badly.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

+200000  Bingo!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+200000  Bingo!

+1
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Winchesters and Colts (and all their clones) are how I make my living, mainly. I know a lot about these guys and I will tell you this.........it SUCKS if Winchester disappears but there is tons of stuff they COULD be doing but don't! Aldo Uberti is selling the shit out of their Italiano 1860 Henry, 1866 and 1873 clones. All originally made by Winny. But Winchester can't because of Unions and labor costs and litigation problems (no safeties per se). Same deal with Colt coming up soon too.......you watch and see........the UNIONS and litigation keep them from making what they COULD sell the shit out of but can't.

Lawyers and Unions. What a country baby!!!

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Maybe if they made the M1 carbine (in a few diffrent calibers as well .357 etc.) again they might get some sales!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#32]
I live in Ct and today one of the local papers had some more info. Talking to one of the company bigwigs he claimed that winchester was doing about the same with market share but the market on the whole had dropped. I am not sure what time period he was talking about,this seems like bs if you look at the cowboy action shooting guys.
I have messed about with cowboy (not real thrilled about dressing up) and hang with lots of cowboy shooters. Most guys start out with a winchester but usually dump it in favor of a marlin,a repro or an original old gun. I have an older 94 30 -30 and it is a far better gun than lots of the newer 94's although some of the real new ones (last year or so) seem somewhat better.
Three or four of the guys in my gun club work at winchester (new haven) and don't have a whole lot good to say about the way the company has been run. I don't know if that is just the usuall rank and file moaning and groaning or if there is some truth to it .
Shame to see the history go by the wayside.

Soft market
Unions messing about
Corporate money grabbers gutting company as they buy and sell
Trying to compete against high tech upstart mfg's and cnc stuff with old machinery and technology
Old factory building with nightmare enviromental problemns and little chance to modernise
Old city with tax and crime problems

Pick and choose from this list as you will,truth hurts.
For the guys faceing looseing their jobs I will wish for some inovative new group to come up with a way to save things.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Lawyers, politics and unions will do (are doing) the same to the auto industry.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#34]
The Henry rifle(a Winchester product,but H. Winchester was afraid it would be a bust.  He did not want his name associated with failure) was the assult rifle of it's day.

I'm picking up a couple of Winchesters.  Safari grades.  They might come back later, maybe made in Japan or Spain or where ever the hell Herstel can do it cheapest but it will no longer be a Winchester.  A sad day.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#35]
If/When Winchester closes it will be a sad, sad day. In my opinion Winchester is a piece of Americana......its a name that brings backs thoughts and memories of the old West etc....

Having said that I am glad that my Great Grandfather was a Winchester fan. Thanks to him I have in my safe a custom 1885 from the Winchester Factory in .22 long, and a 1904 in .22 short, both of which I shot today. From my Grandfather a wonderful Model 88 in .308 that today put a 6 shot group in a 1 inch square at 200 yards, and I'm not a great shot.   For me  this is very sad news.

Tint

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Sad to see an American Co. go and all that stuff,  But Winchester has been one of those big boys with there noses in the clouds for a long time now.  I like there guns and own one, but customer service was TOTALLY non existant. I've got some stories about that but I'll spare you.  They have made few if any attempts at making anything slightly outside the norm or inovative in any way for,..um lemee see,..um.. You get the picture.  If they had made something interesting for cryin out loud.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#37]
WINCHESTER IS NOT CLOSING!

Read:

U.S. Repeating Arms Company to Close
New Haven, Connecticut Facility

U.S. Repeating Arms Company, maker of Winchester brand rifles and shotguns will close its New Haven, Connecticut manufacturing facility. Many efforts were made to improve profitability at the manufacturing facility in New Haven, and the decision was made after exhausting all available options.

Effective March 31, 2006 the New Haven manufacturing facility will stop manufacturing the Winchester Model 70, Model 94 and Model 1300.

Winchester Firearms will continue to see and grow its current line of Select over & under shotguns, the new Super X3 autoloading shotgun, the new Super X autoloading rifle and Limited Edition rifles. The company also plans to introduce new models in the future. There will be no change in Customer Service.

This action is a realignment of resources to make Winchester Firearms a stronger, more viable organization. Winchester Firearms plans to continue the great Winchester legacy and is very excited about the future.

Jim Shepherd, Editor/Publisher
The Outdoor Wire
3550 Grandview Parkway #1217
Birmingham, Alabama 35243-1952
Tel: (C) 205 243 3393
eMail: [email protected] or [email protected]

So only one plant is closing. Winchester in name and Winchester in new guns will still exist.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top