Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/15/2006 7:18:44 PM EDT
I nicked the endge of the trunnion (right side) with a grinder. Filed off a small bit, perhaps 1/4. Did I just ruin the trunnion? It's the rear corner....

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Do you mean the grinder hit the trunion and removed some metal, or did you take an inch off of it?

If you hit it slightly, you have nothing to worry about.

Yes, I tapped it slightly with the grinder, taking off a 1/4 at an angle on the corner of the trunnion.

*WHEW*.

This is the one good kit I want to build-NIW 1986 Romanian AKM. Unfired. Beautiful.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Post some pics for a more detailed answer.

It its only a 1/4" on the lower corner you should be be ok, but we need a pic to be sure.

FREE

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you mean the grinder hit the trunion and removed some metal, or did you take an inch off of it?

Yes, I tapped it slightly with the grinder, taking off a 1/4 at an angle on the corner of the trunnion.

*WHEW*.

This is the one good kit I want to build-NIW 1986 Romanian AKM. Unfired. Beautiful.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*WHEW*.

must be one hell of a grinder to take off 1/4 inch with just a tap!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Off topic

VA-gunnut you can use this site to generate an image of your email address to help prevent email harvesters from getting your email address.

Example:

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Post some pics for a more detailed answer.

It its only a 1/4" on the lower corner you should be be ok, but we need a pic to be sure.

FREE

Quoted:

Quoted:

*WHEW*.

Working on the pic. I'm meeting another ARFCOMer tommorow so I'll show it to him and ask him.

The rear corner of the trunnion was nicked by a grinder and a 1/4 inch section of the trunnion was grinded to an angle.... Yes, confusion. About the best description I can give without posting a pic.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:09:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:40:09 AM EDT
[#9]
My guess, without seeing it, is that it will be OK safety-wise.  The chamber and bolt face should contain the pressures of the round; I think the trunion is just a way to hold the barrel into the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:06:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My guess, without seeing it, is that it will be OK safety-wise.  The chamber and bolt face should contain the pressures of the round; I think the trunion is just a way to hold the barrel into the receiver.

Actually the trunnion has the locking lugs. If you cut the locking lugs, its hosed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:21:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Good point.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It didn't touch the locking lugs. Those are fine.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top