Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/8/2006 7:05:25 PM EDT
I have been contemplating to do my first build.  However, I want to lurk a bit more and get some knowledge before jumping in and ruining a kit.  I have a fair amount of money coming in and can afford to buy some kits.  With this barrel ban coming into effect should I just stock up and get a few kits?  Or should I just wait until I'm ready?  If I should stock up what are a few (without getting too rediculous) kits I should pick up?

Thanks Guys.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have been contemplating to do my first build.  However, I want to lurk a bit more and get some knowledge before jumping in and ruining a kit.  I have a fair amount of money coming in and can afford to buy some kits.  With this barrel ban coming into effect should I just stock up and get a few kits?  Or should I just wait until I'm ready?  If I should stock up what are a few (without getting too rediculous) kits I should pick up?

Thanks Guys.

Buy kits.  
Go to...
Cope's and get Romy AK's (a pile) Romy RPK's and Polish underfolders.

Northridge still has Gennie Russian milled TypeII AK kits.

Centerfire and buy one of each Yugo kit , plus the Polish Tantal, Hungarian SA-85 and.....
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry - double posted when editing.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:22:09 PM EDT
[#4]
You might also consider picking up an FAL kit while you're at it.  Might be nice to be able to build up a nice battle rifle in .308 someday.  

After you pick up several AK kits, of course.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Tag......
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You might also consider picking up an FAL kit while you're at it.  Might be nice to be able to build up a nice battle rifle in .308 someday.  

I recently picked up a Cetme.  I've been getting the bolt gap in spec as of late so no chance to shoot 'er yet.  I picked up the 50 mags for $50 from Tapco which is what prompted me to get the gun.  Gotta love how a $50 deal can get you to pay $300 for a gun to take advantage of the deal.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Besides the chrome lining........which RPK is better the Romy or Yugo?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Besides the chrome lining........which RPK is better the Romy or Yugo?

I'd take the Romanian, just because of the chrome lining, although if that wasn't an option I'd still take the romanian. Easy, because I have all romanian guns so far (except for a lowly tantal)
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I recently picked up a Cetme.  I've been getting the bolt gap in spec as of late so no chance to shoot 'er yet.  I picked up the 50 mags for $50 from Tapco which is what prompted me to get the gun.  Gotta love how a $50 deal can get you to pay $300 for a gun to take advantage of the deal.

I'm pretty dumb when it comes to the differences in battle rifles.  What's the differences in a FAL versus a CETME?  Are they completely different, or are they different versions of the same rifle?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#10]
DDigler--Head over to the Armory section and ask the question--you'll get more than just answers. In short--CETME is an HK design, FAL is completely different animal. Everyone should buy kits, even if you aren't building any time soon. They aren't going to lose value as long as you don't maim them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
DDigler--Head over to the Armory section and ask the question--you'll get more than just answers. In short--CETME is an HK design, FAL is completely different animal. Everyone should buy kits, even if you aren't building any time soon. They aren't going to lose value as long as you don't maim them.

wrong, cetme is the original spanish design(using some kraut engineers), the HK91/G3 is the german adoption of that design.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#12]

wrong, cetme is the original spanish design(using some kraut engineers), the HK91/G3 is the german adoption of that design.

That is correct.  It's got a little of the same look of a FAL.  Just google images it.  I bought my first liesure rifle this past fall and now everything I see I want.  Damn ak47.net for feeding the frenzy.  Now I'm getting into kit builds.  Oh well, gotta spend the money somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#13]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=123&t=305763

How's the price seem for this kit?  After looking some it doesn't seem to bad.  But I'm new to the kit world.  What's your guys' take on this?  As well, are most of the decent '74 kits 200+?  Just hits me kinda wierd that you can get a '47 kit for about a 100 but a '74 for twice that.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top