Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 9:24:47 AM EDT
I have a couple of questions regarding a Eubanks 2nd generation:

1)  Is having pre-drilled trunnion holes bad?

2) What AK kits will fit this receiver?  Any AKM?

3) I've heard good things about 2nd Gen Eubanks receivers: True of False?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I have built (so far) about five or six rifles on Ewbanks' receivers. I've also built up rifles on DCI's and Global Trades and I think the Ewbanks are just as good as any of them. They ALL need some fitting and tweaking but Ewbanks are fine. And I personally prefer withOUT the holes. I see no problem buying more Ewbanks for future builds.

But that's my 2¢
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#2]
So, how much more difficult will the building process be with a reciever WITH holes be???

ETA:  Have you had experience in building up rifles with pre-drilled trunnion holes?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I hope you like "tactical drain holes" on the bottom
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#4]
What???
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#5]
link to a gunco thread with pics

they use flats to start with, and in order to keep them aligned with the jig they have holes in the receiver flat for pins to go through, they end up on the bottom of the receiver.  not a big deal but not authentic, you can always weld them shut if you wish.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, after looking through the link you provided it doesn't seem like EWBANKS is THAT bad.  Ain't the best, apparently, but not the worst, either.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Pre-drilled holes are only bad if the holes on your trunnion do not line up. There is some variation among the various countries.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay, then what AKM kits are KNOWN to work well with a EWBANKS receiver? And are these kits considered to be good parts??
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Okay, then what AKM kits are KNOWN to work well with a EWBANKS receiver? And are these kits considered to be good parts??

Romanian line up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Are ROMY kits considered good? Plus, are these chrome lined barrels?

In addition, I've heard that Poslish parts would be best followed by Bulgarian then Romanian.  Just what I've "heard."  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Are ROMY kits considered good? Plus, are these chrome lined barrels?

In addition, I've heard that Poslish parts would be best followed by Bulgarian then Romanian.  Just what I've "heard."  

Romanian kits that I have had appeared new and yes they are chrome lined barrels.  Prices are going to increase due to shipping increase (has that taken effect yet?)  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Any links to the ROMY kits?  The one place that had 'em only had the kits with, what I think, is  the ugly forward "grip."
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:23:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Any links to the ROMY kits?  The one place that had 'em only had the kits with, what I think, is  the ugly forward "grip."

That's what they are coming in with.  You can cut it off and sand/refinish it or buy new wood.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#14]
That's true.  

Any links to other parts kit, notably POLISH or Bulgarian?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
That's true.  

Any links to other parts kit, notably POLISH or Bulgarian?

Polish Tantal

Clearview

Romanian, Yugo, Polish, Hungarian

Copes Dist.

DPH

TAPCO.com

Ohio Rapid Fire RPK Bulgarian and whatever.

Know go do your research
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the links.

ETA:  Seems like the best looking kits only work with UNDERFOLDERS...   However, it appears that one can have ROMY kits hand picked to get the best looking ones...PLUS...it...appears that TAPCO has some good goodies....when will it end....
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#17]
buy the underfolder kit, then sell the stock and buy a really nice AKM laminate wood set from ironwood
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
buy the underfolder kit, then sell the stock and buy a really nice AKM laminate wood set from ironwood

Yeah, buy the Polish underfolder kit, sell the underfolder stock and the rear trunnion for $75.00 or so.  I've even seen them go for more.  You can refinish one of the Romanian laminated stocks to match the Polish handguards, I've done it.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:50:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like the hand picked ROMY kits with a TAPCO G2 trigger group is the way to go.  

Thanks for the much needed information.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top