Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 10:21:59 AM EDT
I was in my local shop earlier and noticed a MAK-90 standing in the rack. I looked it over and immediately noticed it had a threaded muzzle. I also noticed the reciever was cut for an underfolding stock. Upon further inspection, I saw that the bolt itself is copper colored (I don't know why) and the bolt carrier is blued. The gas block has the bayonet lug ground off and the FSB has the cleaning rod notches ground off. I didn't think to look and see if the lower handguard was cut to accept the cleaning rod. It has a sporter stock with the tang welded on.

I want to find and install a correct underfolder stock. Any help? I am pretty green when it comes to AK's.

I also want to install a proper flash hider. I am assuming the correct one is the slant cut style? Any ideas on where to find one of these for a MAK-90? Also, the threads are a little boogered up from not being protected. What's the best way to sort them out?

Thanks for the help and any and all other info is greatly appreciated.

I will post some pics tonight!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#1]
have you had the thumbhole off yet?  some of the underfolder MAK's had part of the receiver cut off.
also who was the importer?

eta:  slant brakes are easy to find, the MAK uses the same 14x1 LH threads as other AK's.  the folder may be the hard part, place a WTB ad in the Equipment Exchange.  fbmginc.com has folders with hardware but the folder's aren't in great shape, $35 though.  you should be able to find someone with a nice folder.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#2]
No "way to go" or "great deal" without posting how much you paid!! They are more rare than the normal ones, but if you paid like $2000, "no good deal" for you
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey, glad to see you posted here.

Did they just weld a tang onto the underfolder trunnion? A pic would help. Hopefully it'll be easy to remove and have a functional trunnion.

I posted this in your THR thread..

Keep in mind, when you go with a pistol grip and folding stock you have to play the parts count game. No more than 10 imported parts.

You'll need a G2 FCG from tapco, a US made slant brake for the muzzle, and two more US parts. A quick and dirty way is US mag plates and followers. A better way would be a US made gas piston, and a US made pistol grip OR US made handguards. A place called Ironwood Designs makes both.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#4]
If it looks like this:

Then it is going to be a lot of trouble to convert to a complete underfolder if you want the hole closed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#5]
i know where to get you a new chicom folder
but its gonna cost ya over a bill
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I paid $240.00 for it.  I am not sure if the reciever is cut under the stock or not. I will have to take it off tonight and see. I can take the gun back if I don't want it. I didn't realize that some of the recievers were cut. Is there a way to tell without removing the stock? I could run out to the parking lot and check.

If that folder you know about is still available after I determine this, I would be very interested.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#7]
that is a steal, you may be able to see from inside of the receiver if there's a hole like Cajun's rifle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I just went and looked at it in the parking lot. The serial number starts with MSO and then it is about 5 digits I think.

I removed the reciever cover and the reciever is solid. Not slant cuts or anything wierd like that. It looks like I am in business!

So now for the fun part. How do I remove the insert piece that is filling the cutouts? It looked like some sort of rod running from side to side which has two filler pieces attached to each side which are visible from the outside. Do I just cut the rod in half inside the reciever?

socandyman, I am interested in the stock. Can you PM or email me through the board and let me know about it?

Also, it does look like the threads have been ground down a little bit. I wonder if I could rethread the barrel using the existing thread diameter and it would be enough to attach a brake? Has anyone done this? I am less interested in the brake but if it is easy I would want to do it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:52:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I tried to cut through mine - big mistake. I wound up just used a dremel and removed the head of one side of the rod. It just pops out.

ETA: the duke is a great guy to deal with - I got several of my parts from him.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#11]
it's a soft rivet holding those plates on, i used a drill.  center punch it then use a big bit to remove the head off one end of it.

is it imported by GLNIC or Labanu?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#12]
GLNIC

It looks like http://makarov.com/cart/ak.htm has the underfolder for $49.00. Is this the one I need? Does it come with everything I need? They also sell the compliance parts so I thought I would get it all in one go.

Thanks for the help everyone. I would be lost without this forum and others like it!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#13]
If you don't like it, don't take it back!  I'll take it off your hands for what you paid + $25.00 extra for you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#14]
holy crap, if they have them in stock that's the one you want, last time i saw a stock that cheap the guy didn't know what he was selling.

eta:  Makarov.com has 2 left, there were 3 but one is on it's way to me!  thanks for posting that, i've never looked at their AK stuff.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Just courious. is the reciever milled or stamped?
I do have the correct die w/ handle for the barrel threads
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:49:39 AM EDT
[#16]
This is a stamped reciever. I think I am going to try and clean up the threads with the brake itself. They aren't in that bad a shape so I think it will work. The only thing is, my FSB doesn't have the detent to hold the brake on and the hole where it would go looks to have been filled. Any ideas?

Here are some pics of the AK as it sits right now. I took the butthole stock off already so you can see the rear of the solid reciever.

Also, will the screw that went through the pistol grip of the butthole stock hold a plastic US grip on or will I need a different screw?

Thanks.

Oh and I tried posting again last night but the board wouldn't let me for some reason.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:39:53 AM EDT
[#17]
nice score  i have been able to pick 5 in the past year and had to take back one to the dealer i bought it from  because it was one of the cotraband guns that we cant have  and that sucked to because it was one of the nices on i have ever seen but you can use abought any under folding stock i have used polish bulgi chicom and a rommie just takes a little work  got to look fore some more this weakend at the gun show  good luck with your gun
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:43:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:04:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
nice score  i have been able to pick 5 in the past year and had to take back one to the dealer i bought it from  because it was one of the cotraband guns that we cant have  and that sucked to because it was one of the nices on i have ever seen but you can use abought any under folding stock i have used polish bulgi chicom and a rommie just takes a little work  got to look fore some more this weakend at the gun show  good luck with your gun

That sucks about the contraband gun, but 5? Sheesh, leave some for the rest of us!

Glad to hear I can use any stock. I would like to keep this thing original but I would rather have it functional and cheap first!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice score!  You got a screaming deal.  Be sure of your states legal length and SBR laws before undertaking any permanent mods.  The pistol grip screw from the t/hole is not usually long enough.  Find a USA grip and screw, the Chicom grips bring a premium.  [If you can find them]

AS for a folding stock, I do not believe just any will fit as the chinese did not use any inner reinforcement.  The holes in the receiver are all that is needed.  Here is one that was listed on GunBroker  http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=41259170  By the way, the rifle shown in the cantraband thread in the chinese section was mine. Good luck and enjoy the process 'cause it is going to be a great underfolder!
 Oh as for the filler piece where the under folder goes, get a good size punch and smack the head of the rivet.  The 2 eare will bend easily over and you push it out the other side.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Will this one work? I hope so because I ordered it yesterday. I hope to have it Monday. I ordered a US grip but no grip screw. Dangit. I hate to pay shipping on a stupid screw and then wait and order the other things I want later when I have the money.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#22]
looks just like mine did before I dropped the folder on it
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top