Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 1:39:20 PM EDT
I am interested in a VEPR.  Any experiences with .223 or the 7.62 or .308?  How difficult are the .223 and .308 mags to come by?  Do the 7.62 guns take AK mags?  How is customer service?  Do they function well?  Are they more ergonomic than standard AKs?  Etc.?

Thanks for any help you can provide, this might be my first AK purchase.  Most AKs to me have felt like holding a board.  I am specifically interested in the .223 to go with my AR and have the same ammo types.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Coupla' boys down Georgia way will surely chime in.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am interested in a VEPR.  Any experiences with .223 or the 7.62 or .308?  
yes w/ the 7.62, very very nice. I've had one about a year now. One of the best made receivers.

How difficult are the .223 and .308 mags to come by?  

Do the 7.62 guns take AK mags?  Yes

How is customer service?  Never needed it

Do they function well? YES  

Are they more ergonomic than standard AKs?  Etc.? Up to the user. Handguards,stock are not interchangeable with standard AK parts.

Thanks for any help you can provide, this might be my first AK purchase.  Most AKs to me have felt like holding a board.  I am specifically interested in the .223 to go with my AR and have the same ammo types.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#4]
heh i think the Georgia boys take payoffs from robarm.  

have a 7.62x39 that i will never get rid of- and of the dozens of guns i've traded over the years, there is only one other that has earned that status.  shoots about 2 to 3 MOA.  my 223 just got here yesterday so i have yet to shoot it, but it looks just as good as the other one.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:06:21 PM EDT
[#5]
So, .223 VEPR mags are expensive and hard to get?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a Vepr 7.62 X 39. It was a beautiful rifle and was a very accurate shooter. My only complaint was that it was too heavy for me. I also learned that some solvents would take the finish off the rifle so be careful if you buy one.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So, .223 VEPR mags are expensive and hard to get?

not really, some 223 ak mags will work but the normal way - and the way robarm does it- is to put in a follower into a normal ak74 mag and modify the lips a little.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*edited to add.........there's nothing wrong with the Veprs and a lot right.  The 5.56mm versions use modified AK-74 magazines, and I believe the Polish Beryl 5.56mm magazines will work fine, but the Bulgarian 5.56mm mags will not.  5.56mm AK's were never, ever standardized and so every country has at least one mag design different from everyone else.  There are a couple of guys here on the board from Georgia who live and breath Vepr, that's why I was laughing.  The only real negatives with the Vepr are really two things........weight.......they use a heavy RPK weight barrel, and cosmetics, which isn't a big deal to guys who aren't hung up on the classic Kalashnikov like myself and a lot of other guys are here.*

......[Music starts] "Just two Good Ole Boys, Never Meanin No Harm......"[Music starts]  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#9]
It's the .308 mags that are somewhat rare and cost $39.95 a piece. And they are only 10 rounders
I still love my VEPR never the less.
I've never seen a .223 version in the flesh by the way.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#10]
So, what would be better for a 7.62x39, 16" barrel or the 20" barrel?  I am leaning towards the 20" barrel.

BTW, thanks for all the answers.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:18:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Been looking around for VEPRs in 7.62x39, not much for sale.  Looks Russia is holding back on the exports to robarms.  Might be a few months.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#13]
VEPRs are great.  I had one in 7.62x39.  Standard AK mags.  I wouldn't mind having one in .223 one bit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#14]
How do VEPRs compare to Vectors?

Are the VEPR stocks very long, I have shorter arms?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#16]
The only drawback of VEPRs is RobArms
Awesome rifle otherwise (I have it in 7.62x39 with 20" barrel).

- Ice
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

What don't you like about RobArms, besides the seemingly unending wait to get anything from them?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What don't you like about RobArms, besides the seemingly unending wait to get anything from them?

Placed two orders and received something else. You call them, they don't answer. Emails, same end.
Tell you a month, it takes at least five. Luckily enough I didn't have to deal with them when buying the rifle.

- Ice
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:22:15 PM EDT
[#19]
My dealer didnt have any problems ordering mine. I got it in about a month. At that time they were awaiting a shipment from Europe.

I have really enjoyed my Vepr. I wouldnt mine buying another. But up next is an Arsenal SAS M7.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:31:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I am just getting to know the 16" 5.56 VEPR I got from TheKatar. Very nice so far, gets the same 2" groups of 5 at 100 on cheap ammo that my Armalite M15A4 does, great ergonomics for me so I do not mind the plasma rifle in the 40watt range look. No heat sheilds in the handguard, but it will be hard to get hot when the bbl is a full .8" to the gas block, .7" to the sight base. Too early for a real mag analysis, but the converted bake is ok and the Polish Beryls are perfect.

So where can you get the Beryl Mags?  Also, will Weiger mags work?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:55:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:05:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*edited to add.........there's nothing wrong with the Veprs and a lot right.  The 5.56mm versions use modified AK-74 magazines, and I believe the Polish Beryl 5.56mm magazines will work fine, but the Bulgarian 5.56mm mags will not.  5.56mm AK's were never, ever standardized and so every country has at least one mag design different from everyone else.  There are a couple of guys here on the board from Georgia who live and breath Vepr, that's why I was laughing.  The only real negatives with the Vepr are really two things........weight.......they use a heavy RPK weight barrel, and cosmetics, which isn't a big deal to guys who aren't hung up on the classic Kalashnikov like myself and a lot of other guys are here.*

the bulgy 223 mags will work and great at that in the 223 vepr. You just have to take some material off the inside of the magwell
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:33:51 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
heh i think the Georgia boys take payoffs from robarm.  

Quoted:
......[Music starts] "Just two Good Ole Boys, Never Meanin No Harm......"[Music starts]  

I would kindly ask you to leave the Duke boys out of this.

Quoted:
The Veprs are much "nicer" rifles than the Vectors, and their receivers are top of the line in a stamped receiver as they use a modified Russian RPK (heavy squad auto) receiver for them.  

The Vectors are built on US receivers using used parts kits.  They are decent rifles and are much more the "classic" AKM style.

If I were getting When I get a Vepr, I'd definitely I will go for the 16" barrel, you're not getting anything extra except weight and length using the 20".  The 7.62x39mm has been issued in 16" barrels since 1949.

The stock length on the Vepr is a little longer than the standard AK-47 or AKM stock.

Templar, you got this one covered!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I wish I coulda caught this thread when it was new. My daughters been in the hospital for 4 days so no net for me. But Heres my 2 cents.
1 screw you guys
2 We do not take payoffs from Robarms........However I thought for a long time Select members on this board took payoffs from Arsenal   Cough templar cough apache cough. Because just as we are the first to chime in with vepr you guys are the first to chime in with arsenal.........and it seems like since we have been "taking bribes from robarms" more people have bought veprs and the bias on the site has changed. Hell even you, templar, have paid some compliments to the beloved vepr.
3 I do not like robarms any more than anyone else. But I do understand that they are at the mercy of the Russians for the most part and we all know they are the most reliable people in the world......You guys dont complain about Andre taking a year to deliver parts do you? But the whole folding stock thing is Bullshit and I have called that one from the beginning. But I understand they are trying to turn out quality parts. But I do feel that they have put the XCR in front of the veprs.

And lastly, you yankees are just jelous that were from georgia and you not!!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I wish I coulda caught this thread when it was new. My daughters been in the hospital for 4 days so no net for me. But Heres my 2 cents.
1 screw you guys
2 We do not take payoffs from Robarms........However I thought for a long time Select members on this board took payoffs from Arsenal   Cough templar cough apache cough. Because just as we are the first to chime in with vepr you guys are the first to chime in with arsenal.........and it seems like since we have been "taking bribes from robarms" more people have bought veprs and the bias on the site has changed. Hell even you, templar, have paid some compliments to the beloved vepr.
3 I do not like robarms any more than anyone else. But I do understand that they are at the mercy of the Russians for the most part and we all know they are the most reliable people in the world......You guys dont complain about Andre taking a year to deliver parts do you? But the whole folding stock thing is Bullshit and I have called that one from the beginning. But I understand they are trying to turn out quality parts. But I do feel that they have put the XCR in front of the veprs.

hey man i sure hope your daughter is alright.  blessings on your family.

and i must confess i was just trying to throw the robarm-bribery heat off of myself.  especially now that i've got a second one.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I wish I coulda caught this thread when it was new. My daughters been in the hospital

I hope that she is okay?!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I've shot the UltiMAK VEPRs they use as test mules and they're very nice rifles. High quality.

+1 on the robarms though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
1 screw you guys

1 Sorry to here about your daughter, I hope she is O.K. ...
2 How the hell did I get involved in this one?
3 I never said the VEPR wasn't a great rifle, I just don't like the cosmetic surgery on them ...
4 Screw you too, LOL ...

P.S. I'm not a yankee, I only moved north of the Mason-Dixon because my beloved Texas was overrun by yankees, illegal aliens and commies ...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#29]
VEPRs are superb rifles.  I've got a VEPR K in 5.45 that is just awesome.  Very accurate and the fit and finish is top notch.  I used to be one of those guys who only liked traditional looking AKs, but then I actually held a VEPR.  Now that I've got one and have shot it, I like VEPRs more.  This thing just wreakes of quality.  If you buy one you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Ill chime in late and note that my experience is only in the 762-M43 area, ive never touched a 308/556/545

My first impression was just how damn solid the rifle felt in my hands, but how smooth the carrier rides on the rails and how smooth the trigger is. I love having adjustable windage on the rear sight. I also feel that when looking at pictures of VEPR's they do indeed look ugly to me, but they dont look ugly to me in person. Im tall and have long arms so the non standard furnature fits me well.
But Im not a fan of the slant cut reciever, and would love to have an affordable ACE-type folding stock, but thats not a deal breaker for me. Its shoots really well, is comfortable and accurate. Thats all I can ask for.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I am a Georgia fan of the VEPR but that is just a coincidence.  I don't know any of those other good ol' boys.

The VEPR II in 7.62x39 was my first rifle.  I got the 20 inch barrel because I liked the way it looked.  I love everything about the rifle except for the magazine latch which has taken forever to break in to a level where I can manipulate it without losing a thumbnail.  I also got an AR (sorry guys) and like the ergonomics and ballistics better over there.  I do appreciate the accuracy and trigger I get in my VEPR though and I am thinking of making it a faux-RPK.  Or at least putting a good bipod and a quality drum magazine on it.  Having a receiver so thick and heavy it really makes more sense as a medium weight support weapon rather than a true assault rifle (I know, it's not and assault rifle without the third notch).  But it would look cool.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#32]
I can verify Apache659 is from the south.  I am the one born across the Mason Dixon line.

Mason-Dixon Line

We are no longer in the north or south.  We are in the WEST!  Just follow the Lewis and Clark map to our houses.  MV out! href=Lewis and Clark Trail

EDIT-  Oh, and my next AK will be a VEPR.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:51:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Clarification
My daughter is fine. She is 1 and had an ear infection that noone had caught because she showed no symptoms. The infection moved deeper into her ear and turned into an abses about 2 cm wide just under her left ear. This popped up in about 4 hours, I had no idea untill my mom called me and said I needed to take her to the emergency room. The next day at a follow up apointment with her doc he sent her to be admitted in the hospital. They stuck her about 9454687324154 times with an IV....Untill I said no more. Gave her a shitload of antibiotics and it has shrunk to about half the size. She is home now and still on antibiotics. Shes a trooper though, the whole time, she  played and acted like nothig was wrong. Thanks for your thoughts guys.
Apache. No you have never bashed the vepr...But as soon as someone mentions getting an ak you shoot the pics of those Arsenals up there. I was just showing how just as we suggest veprs you suggest arsenals. Its all in good fun man
Templar........Need I say more. I bet you even have arsenal underoos
And the yankee thing was for templar......Last time I called him a yankee I got a 3 page post about General Lee using his toilet in the civil war.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:25:54 AM EDT
[#34]
LOL, my brother really wants a VEPR but he's waiting for Robarms to get the folders going, it'll give me a chance to play with one up close. I know we're just dickin' around so don't take anything seriously ...
I was actually tempted to post the pics but I was  going to stay out of this one ...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:03:59 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I am a Georgia fan of the VEPR but that is just a coincidence.  I don't know any of those other good ol' boys.

There are no coincidences. VEPR and Georgia just go together. You may not know 762 and myself, but this is the South, so we're probably cousins.

Everyone should check out The VEPR Pic Thread. If you have a VEPR and haven't contributed, please do.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top