Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/24/2005 7:13:29 AM EDT
I've narrowed my optics choices down to two red dots. The Kobra and the PK-AS, for my SA M-7 R. I basically want to know two things. Is the PK-AS like a red dot in that there is no eye releif or is it like a scope where your eye has to be in a certian spot in order for it to work? Second, which optic is better for BOTH short range and long range shooting (out to 400m)?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#2]
BTT
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:16:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Both have their strengths and weaknesses.
PK-AS Pros: No batteries needed for daytime use, excellent dot/circle reticle for both precision aiming and CQB snapshots, irons are unobstructed, very rugged, quick/easy elevation adjustments.
Cons: Has eye relief, left-eye use can be difficult to adapt to.
Kobra Pros: Uses common/rechargeable 'AA' batteries, multiple reticles/brightness levels, no eye relief or parallax,
Cons: Useless w/o batteries, blocks irons, may be more susceptible to mud/dirt (blocking the emitter).
I can bang the 300m gong all day w/either of them on a 5.45 AK.
Pick the one that best suits your needs! HTH...
Tomac
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:11:11 AM EDT
[#4]
For hunting reasons I went with the PK-AS on my NDM86...our area is extremely wooded and the hogs tend to come out when its almost completely dark. I needed something with an illuminated reticule and reasonable field of view that I could shoulder like a regular scope, so the potential eye relief issue really wasn't an issue for me. Naturaly I could use the irons but its nearly impossible to see them, so the PK-AS is my prefered solution, plus I can use it on the SLR105 too.

I like the Kobra but was somewhat put off by the distinctive color of the aperture...wasn't sure if the color was going to interfere with very low light shooting so I went with something more traditional in the PK-AS. Later on down the road I think I will get a Kobra for the SLR105, but I for now the PO 3.5x21P I have on it is simply amazing. Looks a little big on it but the FOV is incredible, the optics crystal clear and it was the easiest scope I've ever zeroed.

Side note, I just can't say enough good things about Russian optics...I have several models and have been equally impressed with all of them and for the most part they are much less expensive than western scopes of similar quality. And I realize I just have a 'thing' about the side rail

Z
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm starting to look into this as well... My SAR1 has the rail already there... might as well make use of them..

So you look though the PK-AS with your LEFT eye?

Or is it so you can optionally use the left or right if you don't mind floating as opposed to a solid cheekweld to the buttstock for the right eye..

I'm just going for some range shooting at most. I'm not much for hunting
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#6]
can't speak on the PK-AS

But I like my Kobra. It holds zero during use and when you remove it and put it back on, still zeroed.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:17:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So you look though the PK-AS with your LEFT eye?
Or is it so you can optionally use the left or right if you don't mind floating as opposed to a solid cheekweld to the buttstock for the right eye..

Correct, the PK-AS was designed for left-eye use but can be used w/the right eye w/minimal or no cheekweld.
Tomac
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top