Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 1:21:00 PM EDT
I ahve a new slr105a1 that I want to Russianize.  It has no rail.  Can I go plum and wood?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Both... Scope rail was not standard until the AK74M in 1991...

ETA- I like wood-
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Stottman - Nice wood!

Huey - That wood isn't for a maadi is it ?  Lets see some pics of your project!  I'll start posting my ACC project in the egypt thread next week.

Templar - I just sent you an IM.  - Don't laugh
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Stottman - Nice wood!

Huey - That wood isn't for a maadi is it ?  Lets see some pics of your project!  I'll start posting my ACC project in the egypt thread next week.

Templar - I just sent you an IM.  - Don't laugh

Hey Travis, no on the wood.  I have a 74 wood set that I am thinking of using.  I am waiting for a US made wood PG fron Zrecto so I have the proper parts count.  The old Maadi and the new one will both have Russian wood too.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it me or does the AK in Templar's thread look much more menacing yet more pleasing to the eye?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I love them both ways,if you plan to use the rifle,I'd recommend plumb,if you plan to look at it and fondle it on a daily basis I'll say Russian Laminate!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Slightly off topic...

Please let me know if the following is true:

The AKS-74U was initially made by Izhmash. Many of these versions featured coptics rails.

The AKS-74U then switched to Tula whre it is highly unlikely to find an example with an optics rail.

This stupid subject always fascinates me.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Slightly off topic...

Please let me know if the following is true:

The AKS-74U was initially made by Izhmash. Many of these versions featured coptics rails.

The AKS-74U then switched to Tula whre it is highly unlikely to find an example with an optics rail.

This stupid subject always fascinates me.

True..

How many AKS74Us were actually made with a optics rail though? Nobody knows.. Not many of course, as finding any Izhmash AKSU is pretty rare. All we have is the one photograph of the same gun from the St.Petersburg museum.....

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#11]
So what dates was plum standard issue?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Great question Huey... We should have general reference tacked with the specs for each type of AK and what they were equiped with.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great question Huey... We should have general reference tacked with the specs for each type of AK and what they were equiped with.

About 84-90, though plum continued to be used on RPK74s for a bit after that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I just talked to Ted Marshall today about this very thing re: the Hurrican Katrina rifle auction that I won. He asked me what kind of markings I wanted.

From me:

I was assuming Izhmash, sometime in the early 1980's. I plan on putting plum furniture on this rifle to replicate the generation after the Afghan War era rifles but before the AK-74M.

From Ted:

I think they started using plum furniture around 1986, and "punch weld" method of attaching the gas blk and frt sight instead of pins.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I just talked to Ted Marshall today about this very thing re: the Hurrican Katrina rifle auction that I won. He asked me what kind of markings I wanted.

From me:

I was assuming Izhmash, sometime in the early 1980's. I plan on putting plum furniture on this rifle to replicate the generation after the Afghan War era rifles but before the AK-74M.

From Ted:

I think they started using plum furniture around 1986, and "punch weld" method of attaching the gas blk and frt sight instead of pins.

Not sure, but have not seen a 1985 dated rifle....There is a 1986 (plum) and a 1984 (wood) and on Tantals webpage,
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top