Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 5:15:25 PM EDT
Sorry I'm complete noob to Ak's. I have a saiga 7.62x39 but lately I've been wanting to get an AK47. There are 4 that interest me right now:
Vector underfolder
Russian Ak47 folder ($819 at atlanticfirearms)
Arsenal SAM7SF
Arsenal SASM7A1 (not released yet)
What are the pros and cons of each (besides price)?
Also, what are the benefits of milled and stamped rifles? Did a search and didn't find anything.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Stamped recievers are made of stamped sheet metal and it is lighter than a milled receiver and the barrel is pressed into front trunion which is rivited into the receiver. A milled receiver is made of a single piece of metal and the barrel is screwed into the receiver. A milled receiver is more durable than a stamped receiver; however, stamped receivers are quite strong too.  Among all the Ak's you mentioned, I would reccomend the Vector underfolder. You might also want to consider Romanian AK's as they are cheap and quite reliable. In my opinion, they are the best bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Grab one of the arsenals you will thank me later. Fit, Finish and Quality is superb.

If you can wait, I'd suggest the
Arsenal SASM7A1 (not released yet)

and welcome to the site.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Stamped recievers are made of stamped sheet metal and it is lighter than a milled receiver and the barrel is pressed into front trunion which is rivited into the receiver. A milled receiver is made of a single piece of metal and the barrel is screwed into the receiver. A milled receiver is more durable than a stamped receiver; however, stamped receivers are quite strong too.  Among all the Ak's you mentioned, I would reccomend the Vector underfolder. You might also want to consider Romanian AK's as they are cheap and quite reliable. In my opinion, they are the best bang for the buck.

The barrel can be pressed into a milled as well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info everone. It looks like I'll be waiting impatiently for one of the arsenals. Bayonet lug, flash hider, synthetic stock, and a folding stock are must haves for me.
Templar, I'm drooling just looking at those sasm7a1 pics...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the Arsenal for 'fit' and 'function', but the 'finish' is kind of ...well... awful. (on the stamped versions and a slr95 I had)  

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:08:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I have no argument with those at all.  It's not a slamming by any means.  I was just disapointed with the finish on a few.  Nothing park and gunkote can't fix
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top