Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 3:39:02 PM EDT
Please correct me if I'm wrong but to take advantage of the 7.62x39s ballistics a barrel should be 16inches long. How much will a 20 inch barrel add in terms of distance and how much will a 12 in. subtract?
Just curious because I'm waiting for a Saiga with a 16in barrel to be converted and wonder how shortening the barrel would change the effective range?
Misc
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have the exact information that you're looking for, but I will tell you this.  The 7.62x39 is almost identical in case capacity to a wildcat called the .30 Herrett.  It was designed by Steve Herrett and Bob Milek for use in the T/C Contender with a 10" barrel.  I've used one for hunting for several years now and I've got a nice 11-point buck on the wall next to that was taken with it.

You might try contacting Sierra Bullets tech support by way of e-mail.  They're quick and I know a couple of the guys there; they give very good, factual information.

Hope that helps a little,
Robert
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I buddy of mine and I were shooting 7.62x39mm's one day . He had an 18" SKS I had my (Ex) Mini 30 . w a 16" Barrel .

(I dont have the mini any more nor do I own an SKS so it could be 18" Mini and 20" SKS whatever is standard for each , 2 inch barrel length differance .)

The SKS was plugging an I beam we were shooting , while the Ruger only dimpled it , the exact same steel and ammo , which was Wolf not steel core Chinesse . A very deep nearly thru dimple , but the differance was clear . Why is not so clear as we didnt have a crony .

It "may" have something to do w/ Rugers comprmise bore dia. or the 2" differance OR who knows but it was interesting as hell . Between that and the 4 + " groups at 100 yds , it went to the curb .

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I buddy of mine and I were shooting 7.62x39mm's one day . He had an 18" SKS I had my (Ex) Mini 30 . w a 16" Barrel .

(I dont have the mini any more nor do I own an SKS so it could be 18" Mini and 20" SKS whatever is standard for each , 2 inch barrel length differance .)

The SKS was plugging an I beam we were shooting , while the Ruger only dimpled it , the exact same steel and ammo , which was Wolf not steel core Chinesse . A very deep nearly thru dimple , but the differance was clear . Why is not so clear as we didnt have a crony .

It "may" have something to do w/ Rugers comprmise bore dia. or the 2" differance OR who knows but it was interesting as hell . Between that and the 4 + " groups at 100 yds , it went to the curb .

Could have been some of that top secret Soviet voodoo at work!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:30:40 AM EDT
[#5]
VOODOO , it worked on me . I'm standing there w/ my scoped synthetic stock mini30 . This$ 89 SKS is clearly drilling this I beam AND MY gun was NOT .  

This was a couple of years ago so I dont remember exactly but my buddies chiding and out right gaafaa may have got on my nerve as well .

I was working on one of my great theories (smaller , lighter) .........

Conventional wisdom was confirmed and I bought an M1A

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top