Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2005 6:58:51 AM EDT
This is my first post so please forgive me if I've placed it in the wrong area. I'm looking into buying my first riffle. At first I was thinking about buying an AR but then I ran across the Vepr. I didn't want to go over $600 so after seeing the prices on the Vepr and a few reviews...I figured that this was the one for me. So Now I'm trying to decide with chambering should I go for. I've seen a few sites that would review 7.62x39 but I can't seem to get any data on the others. Which is the one I should go for? The Vepr is a little long and heavy for my taste but it looks like an all-around nice package. So far I'm thinking that I should just go with the 7.62 but I'm simply curious about the other chambering option. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#1]
If its your first AK, id def. go with the 7.62.

If youre not ready to drop $600 on a VEPR, you could go with a $300 WASR-10, which will go bang every time. Thats $300 for ammo, refinish, whatever you wanted to do with it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:26:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Hello,  I am considering one also.  If you haven't looked at the Vepr website here's the link
http://www.ak47.com/products.asp?cat=10

good luck.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]
You will not be disappointed with a VEPR. For your first gun, go 7.62x39. As for length, the VEPR K has a 16" barrel. Can't go any shorter than that without an SBR stamp.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my VEPR K in 7.62x39, if I could only have 1 AK, that would be it.

Bad news though, unless you know someone with a VEPR K 223 or 7.62x39 in stock, you will be waiting until next year.  Robinson Arms' website says that they have a handful of 5.45x39 VEPR's and that they won't have any more VEPR's until December at the earliest, in Robarms time, that means they'll probably have more in Dec. 2006!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Go with the vepr and go with the 7.62. I have a .308 and its no heavier than my MAK 90 and have shot the 7.62 right beisde an Arsenal the weight difference is small if any. and as far finding one your gonna wait a month or 2. Last I heard from Robinson the 7.62s were in country and customs has to look them over. In defense of Robinson Arms it is customs that makes this process so long.  Nothing is fast with the government. Customs physically opens and looks in every one of these guns. But in my opinion It's worth the wait. My next purchase will be a VEPR K in 7.62.
How come everytime someone asks about a vepr someone trys to sell em on an arsenal all AKs will go bang every time you pull the trigger!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Go with the vepr and go with the 7.62. I have a .308 and its no heavier than my MAK 90 and have shot the 7.62 right beisde an Arsenal the weight difference is small if any. and as far finding one your gonna wait a month or 2. Last I heard from Robinson the 7.62s were in country and customs has to look them over. In defense of Robinson Arms it is customs that makes this process so long.  Nothing is fast with the government. Customs physically opens and looks in every one of these guns. But in my opinion It's worth the wait. My next purchase will be a VEPR K in 7.62.
How come everytime someone asks about a vepr someone trys to sell em on an arsenal all AKs will go bang every time you pull the trigger!

Because they are jealous of the VEPR's better accuracy!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#7]
They are a very nice rifle, I got one two months ago and am very impressed.  I would say they are on par with my stag AR.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Good gun, with the exception of the cheap mag that came with it.  Try an outfit named Tejas Gunwers in Austin, TX.  They had 'em last week or so.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Good gun, with the exception of the cheap mag that came with it.  Try an outfit named Tejas Gunwers in Austin, TX.  They had 'em last week or so.  

Do you have a link?  If you do, that would be excellent.  I've been looking for a dealer that has them in stock.  

Back on topic....I am currently looking for a VEPR K in 7.62x39mm for my first rifle, also.  After alot of AK research they seem to be regarded as one of the best.  They also look really badass which is always a plus.

I have also heard that the rifles were going to arrive in 2 months or so.  Hopefully they arrive soon because I'm becoming anxious.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Found this I think its where hes talking about.
texasgunworks.com
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top