Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/4/2005 8:32:07 PM EDT
I am looking to purchase an AK underfolder.  I know there is a Polish variant of this rifle.  Is this the only country of origin for underfolding AK's?

If not, who else makes them?

Are any superior to the others?

Where can I get a decent underfolder at a good price?  I see them on the Atlantic Firearms website, are these any good ?

Any insight/information will be helpful, as I am an AK virgin.

Thanks much!

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've got a pre '89 Norinco Underfolder, so I've got some experience.  They are compact for sure, but are no fun to shoot.  The strut is hard on your cheek as it's artifically thick to contain the receiver.  Additionally, they will eventually loosen up, especially the buttplate, as it's just  friction fit.

Get a sidefolder if you want form to follow function.  The Romanian wire folders are suprisingly good, and they fit the standard rear trunion.

I agree with DriftPunch. If this is to be your only AK, I'd get a sidefolder or fixed stock as a shooter. If you were just picking up an extra AK and had several, the downfolders are OK to add to a collection. My Underfolder is a 223 model that I've owned for many years and my first AK.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#2]
www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=4&f=64

Atlantic Firearms
Atlantic has a large variety of AK's.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#3]
No Poland was not the only county.  Pretty much anyone who made an AK made an underfolder.  Best ones now are made by Arsenal, Bulgarian parts,Bulagarian technicians on Bulgarian tooling here in the US.  Click on the AK-47 tab up top and you will find lots of good info.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Just stay away fro ArsenalUSA.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Vector.

I love mine. Super quality, fit and finish. They must be pretty consistant. My brothers and I ordered 3 and they were identical.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a pre '89 Norinco Underfolder, so I've got some experience.  They are compact for sure, but are no fun to shoot.  The strut is hard on your cheek as it's artifically thick to contain the receiver.  Additionally, they will eventually loosen up, especially the buttplate, as it's just  friction fit.

Get a sidefolder if you want form to follow function.  The Romanian wire folders are suprisingly good, and they fit the standard rear trunion.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Get the underfolder. Its the definitive EVIL AK .
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's my underfolder.  It's a Polish AKMS kit built onto an OOW receiver.  US parts are the receiver, G2 HTS, gas piston and pistol grip.  Build was done by Randy Kline of Sledgehammer Arms Works.  Finish is manganese phosphate.  The dark grey of the finish is better shown by the bottom picture.  Upper pic has too much sunlight so it looks more black than grey.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I think you should get a Yugo underfolder. I built one and it is sweet. This is Miranda who works for Red-Stick Firearms.

My Yugo

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:17:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, now I want an underfolder even more.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#11]
When I bought myfirst UF a Yugo M70AB2 I was fully ready for all the gripes ive heard about the cheekweld, and you know it really isnt bad, unless your one of those who buries their cheek in it till one of your nostrils is blocked. No complaints here. And the Yugo is a more prized Ak and IMO the best made that Ive held and shot.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice rifle Marco, I really love the finish on the furniture.

What price range am I looking at to get into a decent underfolder?

I don't need something as nice as Marco's AK but I don't want a piece of shit either.  A used AK is probably what I want as it will be my first.  This rifle will be a shooter rather than a showpiece.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Nice rifle Marco, I really love the finish on the furniture.

What price range am I looking at to get into a decent underfolder?

I don't need something as nice as Marco's AK but I don't want a piece of shit either.  A used AK is probably what I want as it will be my first.  This rifle will be a shooter rather than a showpiece.

Thanks

Prices for UF are all over the board after about $500.00. Btw $500-$700.00 You could get a Vector or a Yugo from Atlantic Firearms. Norincos wil be 800 to over 1000. You can save 150-200 and get a buttstock model and then later add a side folder in which case a no ban wasr from Aim Surpus is a good deal or a SAR .

Give us mor details on what you want and will pay. A SAR 1 is alway a good first AK and run around 400. Step up? Get an Arsenal SSR 85 C2  $589.00 at Atlantic. A great and solid AK.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Vector seems to be the way to go for an UF shooter under $600.00.  

Personally I love underfolders and find them comfortable to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Would it be possible to put an underfolding stock on this particular rifle at a later date?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AK_WASR_RIFLE_w__Folding_Stock__Bayonet_Lug__Break.html

also, does that stock fold to either side?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Would it be possible to put an underfolding stock on this particular rifle at a later date?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AK_WASR_RIFLE_w__Folding_Stock__Bayonet_Lug__Break.html

also, does that stock fold to either side?

Underfolders require a special receiver so adding at a later date would not be an option.

Sidefolders are built to go one way or the other.  They do not (*cough*) "swing both ways".
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#17]
You could get a pistol AK with a UF drilled receiver, then later pay the $200.00 tax and throw on an underfolder. Better yet, get a Krink kit with a UF and pay the tax stamp if you really want to blow some cash. I wish I could A SB Krink UF is the shiznt
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Is it possible to convert an underfolder to, say, a Romanian wire sidefolder?

Quoted:
Vector.

I love mine. Super quality, fit and finish. They must be pretty consistant. My brothers and I ordered 3 and they were identical.

www.gulftel.com/tnolfe/rangeday4.jpg

www.gulftel.com/tnolfe/rangeday3.jpg

I really like my Vector Arms V47 underfolder. Mine appears exactly the same as both of the ones you pictured there. They are high quality.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#19]
How about replacing that side folder on the WASR  from Aim surplus with a tantal style side folder like this one.  Is this possible?  

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#20]
bump,

anyone?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Underfolders require a special receiver so adding at a later date would not be an option.

Underfolders do not require a special receiver.  They just require a pivot hole and a 4 rivet holes drilled.  The whole coversion takes about 2 hours if you have the right tools.  The WASR is a piece of cake to convert.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#22]
sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

looks like I found my first AK

And my Dad has a killer set of tools, so I've got that going for me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#23]
My advice would be to get a receiver and a polish parts kit and assemble it yourself. Not that hard and pletty of how to info here and other places.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Get the yugo from atlantic. Dont get me wrong, the vector is nice to(I have both) , but the yugos are way more heavy duty. Plus atlantic got all of the excellent yugo kits from centerfiresystems
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Get the yugo from atlantic. Dont get me wrong, the vector is nice to(I have both) , but the yugos are way more heavy duty. Plus atlantic got all of the excellent yugo kits from centerfiresystems

What makes them more heavy duty? Never handled one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I believe the reciever wall is 1.6mm thick as opposed to 1mm  ??
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#27]
A factory underfolder will have a radiused rear receiver and a small specialty trunion to manage the spring guide and take the recoil.  Note the two rear trunion rivits here (in an unusual position) as well as the fact that the receiver is NOT rectangular.

Obvously, this doesn't help or hurt function much apart from being more graceful looking.  The benefit of a Romanian wire folder is that it uses the fixed stock trunion, so you can swap between folder and fixed stocks at your leisure without permanent alterations.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I believe the reciever wall is 1.6mm thick as opposed to 1mm  ??

That may be true (I don't know)  but you don't have the receiver...  I do know that Chinese receivers are 50% thicker than European pattern AKMs.  Because of this, they don't have to strengthen the pin holes with the stampings you see on Euro guns.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Vector seems to be the way to go for an UF shooter under $600.00.  

Personally I love underfolders and find them comfortable to shoot.

Same here.  I think that it is a personal thing.  Either someone likes the cheekweld on a folder or they don't.  I love my Vector UF.

MrScaramanga,

If you haven't shot an underfolder then you should do so if you can before buying one.  You may not like the 'feel' of it.    
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
A factory underfolder will have a radiused rear receiver and a small specialty trunion to manage the spring guide and take the recoil.  Note the two rear trunion rivits here (in an unusual position) as well as the fact that the receiver is NOT rectangular.

Obvously, this doesn't help or hurt function much apart from being more graceful looking.  The benefit of a Romanian wire folder is that it uses the fixed stock trunion, so you can swap between folder and fixed stocks at your leisure without permanent alterations.

Your pic is of a Chinese folder.  Euro folders have rear trunnions that are square to the receiver.  There aren't many Chinese folder kits laying around these days so odds are he will use a euro.

The existing rearmost rivet hole on the WASR will line up with the hole on the folder trunion and the existing standard stock 2nd hole will all but be covered up by the stock.  All you have to do is drill the two additional folder holes.  The folder trunnion will act as your template to locate all the new holes.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
What makes them more heavy duty? Never handled one.

They weigh more than any AK Ive held. The Barrell and gas block design are very solid. The barrel is not chrome lined and IMO shoots better than any AK Ive shot. Wood is Teak, a very durable wood, Front and rear sights have tritium fold up dots, the saftey lever can be dropped very easily like switching and AR safety with the index finger if you dont lock it at the top, gas tubes and sights are dead on and rare to see cants. It has a useless but cool for the look grenade launcher sight.  I hand picked mine and hawked over the bore, rifling and the crown. It has redeemed my faith in the accuracy potential of the AK. Now Id like to get some of that Yugo ammo and see what it can do.

Mine is built on an ITM (OOW) receiver which is 1.24mm. Although issued in 1987, it reflects less service than MANY and dark bore kits ive seen.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top