Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/28/2005 6:37:45 PM EDT
After work today my trusty co-conspirator Exile and I hit the range to test fire a couple of recent builds.  I wanted to see if the Romy we put on our own receiver would run 100% (not yet, ejector needs to be trimmed a bit more) and we wanted to put some serious heat into the barrel on Exile's AMD to see how the Norrell's Moly Resin would take it.  The answer to that is, just fine.  Starting with a full 75 round dump and going to 5 thirty round mags, we tore through 225 rounds in about 3 minutes.  No bubbling, no peeling, the Norrell's showed no ill effects whatsoever.  MCARMS will be doing alot of guns in this finish I hope.

Since it was getting pretty dark I took some pics and I think the second pic here really epitomizes what shooting an AK is like and why we are so addicted to them.

Here's a closeup of that pic.  Its a bit fuzzy but its almost like art.  I love the reflection of the muzzle flash and how the muzzle flash is lighting up the oil burning off of the barrel.  Exile isn't really using the sights, he's too caught up in the intensity of a 75 round mag dump and the blinding muzzle flash.  The blur of the hands conveys the energy and movement of rapid fire.

And here's what the gun looks like with the lights turned on.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah that's SWEET!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#2]
DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!!!! Now I HAVE to have my AMD kit built
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#3]
That's sweet. What kidn of ammo did you use?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Dude, you really look like Duke Nukem
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I use Norrells on all of my builds and it's great. I have never had anything but great results.

Nice 63
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh man you guys got a 63.......I missed the boat

I've always wondered......how does that fore-grip feel shooting?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Ammo was good old mil-spec Barnaul.  If that's really what the Rooskie military uses they are going to be giving away their position from the first shot fired!  

And those pics are of Exile.  He's the young one that's in shape.  I'm the short fat one.  This one:

And the gun feels alot more comfortable than it looks.  But it basically feels just like a the Romy pistol grips that are a dime a dozen right now.  1Gunner you should build up one of those, the parts kits are still less than $100.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#8]
AK addiction is all about ignoring your sights?  Sounds about right.  

Kidding.  Neat pic.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

And the gun feels alot more comfortable than it looks.  But it basically feels just like a the Romy pistol grips that are a dime a dozen right now.  1Gunner you should build up one of those, the parts kits are still less than $100.

I got romies and 65s, I'm waiting until all the kit selling dies down to send them out to build, spending build $ on more kits currently, I'm just pissed I didn't get a 63 until they were all gone and are now $200, I'm green with envy.   I must confess that I have never handled nor shot a built AMD or Romy with fore-grip....I'm intrigued how they would feel
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#10]
You are talented with that camera.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Hi Tim

that is a minty SP-1 there...it'd be cool to see some AMDs at an IDPA event

you seen any AMDs or Romy fore-grippers at IDPA Tim?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:38:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice rifle and nice pics.

I need to shoot my AMD.

Max
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:37:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice pics. That 63 is badass!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:06:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hi Tim

that is a minty SP-1 there...

Actually, at that time it wasn't.  Its one of those beater M16a1 uppers that are floating around, CDNN still has some, that I put on a DPMS lower.  Someone at sometime had painted the upper black, and when it got hot the black paint would roll off revealing the grey phosphate underneath.  If you look closely at the pic I posted above, you can see that nearly all the finish has come off the barrel and shiny metal is reflecting the sun.

So it was one of my first Moly Resin refinishing projects.  Norrell's makes a "Colt grey" color that's supposed to look like the original dark Colt grey from the 60's, not the lighter "sporter" grey that they still use.

Now its all minty and happy.  It'll be on display at my store this weekend to show off the refinish.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:17:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Flame thrower bullets huh......
Cool pics man!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:37:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey duke thought I’d answer the ? about what ammo
it was a mixture of wolf and some non corrosive brass cased South Africa ammo that came in battle packs in a wood crate. The brass cased ammo is what leaves the huge muzzle flash.
Duke is going to be offering Moly Resin finish at his company MCARMS. If you guys want to get it finished and done right I’d take it there. He'll also be doing Hot Blueing. and some AK building.
The AMD-63 is a great gun and I’m glad I got it about 2.5 months ago on a trade  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:50:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice pics.  good to hear that it stands up to the heat
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:20:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Exile needs eye protection!!  Great pics.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Yea I realized that I’d left if at home when I got out there
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice pics!!! YEAH!

+1 on now needing to get an AMD...  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Ammo was good old mil-spec Barnaul.  If that's really what the Rooskie military uses they are going to be giving away their position from the first shot fired!  

And those pics are of Exile.  He's the young one that's in shape.  I'm the short fat one.  This one:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/MolonLabe/dieyouterr.jpg

YOU SHOT THE HOSTAGE!!!

how in the hell did you guys manage to get snaps during the muzzle flash?  or are those just frames taken from a dig. video?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Duke Nukem didn't shoot the hostage others before him did. Notice there is a bullet in the red eye.
I'm not sure what he did with the camera
but it looks evil
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Hehe, on that day I did manage to hit the zombie hostage taker cleanly in the head.  But among the Missouri crew I do have a reputation as being "taught in the Russian school of hostage rescue".  One time we had hostage targets that were white and terrorist targets that were brown, and I got a little excited and put half a Garand clip into a hostage at close range.  I still haven't lived that down.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top