Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 7:48:01 AM EDT
Okay so you guys that are using foreign wood pistol grips on your AK-74's and 47's, what part are you replacing?  Or are you using a US made wood grip?  If so, where are you getting them?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#1]
DIY
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:47:59 AM EDT
[#2]
technically you can refinish your foreign pistol grip and after that it can be considered as US made...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been having z_recto make mine.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:04:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
technically you can refinish your foreign pistol grip and after that it can be considered as US made...

Is there any truth to this?  Does it apply to the buttstock and handguards as well?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:44:32 AM EDT
[#5]
In my opinion, wood imported in block form and then formed into a pistol grip would be considered to be a U.S. part, but wood already formed into a pistol grip and then imported will always remain an imported part, even if refinished in the U.S.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
In my opinion, wood imported in block form and then formed into a pistol grip would be considered to be a U.S. part, but wood already formed into a pistol grip and then imported will always remain an imported part, even if refinished in the U.S.

Absolutely Correct ...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That's the definition that most of us are going by, but is there anywhere in the law that specifically defines the meaning of "imported"?

I think there's still a wide range of interpretations that can be made, for example you can say that it's "finished" in the US.

I know some class II manufacturers who would polish metal parts and then engraving them "USA".  I'm not saying whether what they're doing is right or "legal", but it certainly makes you wonder.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#8]
If you paint your foreign car a different color, it's still a foreign car.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, you can't expect the ATF to be logical.  If it looks like it's made in USA, then it might as well be made in USA.  You'll only get in trouble if it is in fact/looks to be an imported part.  Does anybody know of any cases where 922r violations were actually prosecuted ?  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top