Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 7:08:52 PM EDT
I'm trying to decide what to get for my next rifle, a 20" AR or a romak III. They cost about the same. How is the accuracy, reliability, and ergonomics of the dragonuv? Is it an effective weapon or is the only thing going for it the "evil-looking sniper rifle" factor? How is the build quality?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#1]
If you don't have an AR, I would go with the AR first.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

OUT ....
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#3]
For the price,you can't really go wrong with the RomakIII.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm going to have to play devils advocate and say this is good advice
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#5]
okay what if the 20" AR would be my second, complimenting an m4gery. I know that an AR is inherently better but what I want to know is if the romak III build quality is decent and if it is a good SHTF rifle, or if is shoddy like other CAI romanian imports.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't see it as a good SHTF weapon as the 7.62x54 ammo is not widely available in those circumstances.  I would think that in that case a good .308 or even a .30-06 would be a better choice.  You wouldn't have internet ordering for ammo in those conditions.  A .30-06 rifle would on the other hand have a good supply of ammo and the accuracy factor of a rifle in that caliber can be obtained in many configurations.  What is the mag capacity of a Romak III.  Can you obtain the same by using a Garand from the CMP.  Ammo availability, ammo cost,  rifle and ammo weight, accuracy all need to be considered.      
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it possible to rebarrel it to .308? That would be sweet.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Inter Ordnace is supposed to get some in .308. No telling when. They come with plastic mag that suppoably break alot.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
okay what if the 20" AR would be my second, complimenting an m4gery. I know that an AR is inherently better but what I want to know is if the romak III build quality is decent and if it is a good SHTF rifle, or if is shoddy like other CAI romanian imports.

Whoa Whoa Whoa back up a lil.  When did anyone ever say that CAI romanian imports were shoddy?  I got a WASR 10 and a RomakIII that aren't shoddy at all.  Yes the RomakIII is a great rifle for what it is.  The only draw back to them  as someone else stated is ammo isnt widely available.  Well,  atleast not GOOD non corrossive ammo.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:20:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a sar-1 and it sucked. Terrible trigger slap that never went away, even after doing all of the reccomended dremmelling and modifications. Poor accuracy, sights not lined up, etc. I was wondering if the romak III was any better.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:47:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Is it possible to rebarrel it to .308? That would be sweet.

God I hope not
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:08:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I had a sar-1 and it sucked. Terrible trigger slap that never went away, even after doing all of the reccomended dremmelling and modifications. Poor accuracy, sights not lined up, etc. I was wondering if the romak III was any better.

That's why G2 and RSA FCG's are available.  They take care of the trigger slap.  You also need to check the sights before you buy to make sure they are straight.

A 7.62 AK is no AR-15 in accuracy at distance, but if you have sufficient ammo on hand it may be the best choice.  And in a SHTF situation, how many rifles are you going to be carrying?  For each rifle, how many mags are you going to carry.  How much ammo are you going to carry?  For each different rifle of a different caliber you are going to have to pack sufficient ammo with you.  

If you think you are going to have no worries about carrying all of this, just look at the people evacuating from Houston.  Sitting on a freeway for 6 hours to make 15 miles with their engines running until they were out of gas and all the stations running out.

You have to decide your weapons based on all of these factors.  What weapons make the most sense if you have no choice but to take them on your back and walk out of the area you are in.  A vehicle may only get you so far.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If you sold it for cheap because of those reasons, I'm guessing the guy that bought it from you was laughing all the way to the bank.  Seriously, $28 and about 15 minutes of work and you'd have had a sweet rifle.

I built my Romak III from a kit, so it's exactly how I wanted it.  Runs great and everything is straight.  Don't have good ammo for it yet, so I can't speak for best accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you sold it for cheap because of those reasons, I'm guessing the guy that bought it from you was laughing all the way to the bank.  Seriously, $28 and about 15 minutes of work and you'd have had a sweet rifle.

I built my Romak III from a kit, so it's exactly how I wanted it.  Runs great and everything is straight.  Don't have good ammo for it yet, so I can't speak for best accuracy.

actually the trigger slap contintued even with the RRA custom trigger. I don't know what caused it but it must have been something outside of the FCG. I sold it at cost though so no loss for me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd spend the $600-$650 for the PSL with scope.  Try it out, and you may be pleasantly surprised, plus, if you decide to sell it at a later date, it should retain most of it's value.  Accuracy, as with any rifle, is ammo dependant, and effectiveness is much greater than the 556 at distance.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I love my romak 3. Not the highest quality of weapon I have ever had but for what it is I am extremely pleased. Fine shooting, high evil factor, whole lotta fun. Should hold decent resale value especially after the barrel ban finishes up. The problem is finding one right now, out there but little harder to find. If you dont like it you should be able to sell it easily.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top