Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 8:04:36 AM EDT
I just purchased a WASR-10 a few weeks ago and it has a muzzle nut with a small tack weld on the bottom in front of the cleaning rod retainer.  I need to know if it is threaded underneath or if it was pressed on.  I asked as a part of a diffferent thread and got two different answers.  My question is, if it was pressed on then why does it have the spring loaded retaining pin in the front sight tower that lines up with the small divot on the muzzle nut.  If the threads were machined off wouldn't this feature be omitted?  I'll try to get pics up.  I dont' want to grind off the weld just to find that its only pressed on.  Any help?  Anyone buy a WASR-10 recently with the muzzle nut and remove it?  Thanks for any help guys!

CMS
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:00:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:21:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I was wondering the same thing.  I guess you just have to take it off and find out.  

Does anyone know if there is an issue with just leaving the slant brake off? like like legality of a shorter barrel length, or increased recoil?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#3]
There were not threads under mine.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Its hit or miss from my understanding.  My low cap WASR-10 from Century DID infact have threads under the nut and Ive heard others do or did not.  Suck it up.  Grab the Dremel.  Grind the damn weld and see for yourself.  It will take less then 5 mins.  Remember that the nut will be reverse threads so once ya get the weld gone it will be RIGHTY LOOSEY /  LEFTY TIGHTY.  Anyway do it and see if ya have threads longing for a slant break.  Good Luck and keep us posted.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Just converted my lo-cap WASR to hi-cap, and it indeed did have standard AK threads under the welded-on muzzle nut.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#6]
If century screwed ya, you can always rent the die and alignment jig off the EE (I forgett the guys name and cant find his ad) to thread your barrel.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#7]
If there are no threads under the nut, then thread for 1/2 x 28.  This way, you can find almost any kind of attachment for your beastie.

On my 2001 WASR10, there was no threads under the nut an the barrel was to small in diameter to thread for 14 mm x 1 LH.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I braved up and got out the dremel.  I took it to the muzzle nut and to my surprise...threads!  Well the muzzle nut looks like shit now but I cleaned up where tack weld was.  I don't know what to put on it now.   Will probably go with a slant break for now. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well I braved up and got out the dremel.  I took it to the muzzle nut and to my surprise...threads!  Well the muzzle nut looks like shit now but I cleaned up where tack weld was.  I don't know what to put on it now.   Will probably go with a slant break for now. Any suggestions?

you get into the whole nonsporting rifle conversion compliance parts issue.....no comment without further info on your rifle
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:45:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Won't a US made slant brake prevent any conflict with that?  I don't see a problem but please let me know if there is one... Thanks
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#11]
A US slant brake will be OK.  You can add however many US parts as you want without worrying about compliance.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top