Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/18/2005 5:14:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had RPG on my mind lately,..........................I want one!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#3]
they are the new "bottle rocket"
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

me too!...but our damn homeowners association strictly prohibits shooting them in our culdesac!

Let me know when I need to put fence armor on my Honda.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I got mine-
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.autoweapons.com/products/destructivedevices.html
http://www.autoweapons.com/photosn/photosfeb04/dd1-48rpg.html

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#7]
We ought to setup a group trip to Eastern Europe to play with some of these toys. I am sure it wouldn't be too tough.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I got mine-
img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/Stottman/RPG7B.jpg

Jesus Christ Stottman, im becoming more and more jealous of you every time you post.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I got mine-

Jesus Christ Stottman, im becoming more and more jealous of you every time you post.

You're only jealous?   Avoid the rush and hate him now.
J/K Stottman, Nice RPG.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I enjoyed reading the article the other day. You dont see too many magazines writing articles about this weapon, I've been fascinated with this weapon ever since i fired one while on vacation in Armenia in 2000 as soon as i came back i bought one and i'm glad i didnt wait because i never see them available anymore. Heres a pic of my Bulgarian RPG7 next to an East German RPG18. McM.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
We ought to setup a group trip to Eastern Europe to play with some of these toys. I am sure it wouldn't be too tough.

There are places to do it in Bulgaria, but the price list was something like $300+ per RPG round.. Knowing what American LAWs and AT-4s cost the US Gov't, thats not really unreasonalbe.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Are the Launchers restricted in any way? is it just the rockets themselves that require registration?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#13]
It's funny how in all of our super modern technology and infinite wisdom we are still too stupid to adopt this weapon. Last time I checked this weapon was resposible for about 50% of our casulties in Iraq. It is simple to use easy to bring into action fast to reload and reasonably accurate. It has managed to knock out out or destroy multi million dollar tanks, helicopters (that were supposedly safe from RPGs) and pretty much every piece of equipt. we have on the ground. With about 20 different warheads that are lightweight and quick to bring into action it is easily trainable to any farmer with about 2 hours of training time.
One of my soldiers after his convoy was ambushed said to me "You were right, it ain't like the movies there is no whoosh and that rocket flies damn quick". About enough time from 300M to recognize it inbound and say "R" and not have enough time to get out the rest of PG. At 100M when fired it is crack and boom-that fast. The Chinese bounding munition is really neat as are the tandem warheads, and all the others. The idiots who designed the Striker RPG cage are now only realizing that it is effective only about 1/2 the time (your tax dollars hard at work on lab welfare again) but their computer models and infinite stupidity once again combine to get soldiers killed.
We had 2 bradleys in my brigade knocked out (they had reactive armor and the bolt on steel plates) but the gunners managed to hit them elsewhere resulting in 1 KIA and 2-4 amputuations.
Instead we are looking at the M3 Carl Gustav that costs over 20K weighs about 4 more pounds and the rockets weigh about 10 lbs a piece and are only available as are the spare parts from Sweden on a limited basis. It is more accurate but you can only fire it a limited amount in one day before you get frazzled and carry only a few rockets-go figure.
As I say to everyone I train in it's usage-"It is funny how a 40 year old piece of "Junk" has managed to destroy or damage the best and most expensive equipment on earth".
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:39:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Are the Launchers restricted in any way? is it just the rockets themselves that require registration?

Live RPG's are available but have to be registered as a Destructive Device with the NFA and rockets are not available. The RPG's you see here are Demilled objects, which means it has a 40mm sized hole somewhere on the tube (usually under the heatshields) and the firing pin is removed and a half inch hole drilled through the firing pin hole and a half inch steel rod welded in its place.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It's funny how in all of our super modern technology and infinite wisdom we are still too stupid to adopt this weapon. Last time I checked this weapon was resposible for about 50% of our casulties in Iraq. It is simple to use easy to bring into action fast to reload and reasonably accurate. It has managed to knock out out or destroy multi million dollar tanks, helicopters (that were supposedly safe from RPGs) and pretty much every piece of equipt. we have on the ground. With about 20 different warheads that are lightweight and quick to bring into action it is easily trainable to any farmer with about 2 hours of training time.
One of my soldiers after his convoy was ambushed said to me "You were right, it ain't like the movies there is no whoosh and that rocket flies damn quick". About enough time from 300M to recognize it inbound and say "R" and not have enough time to get out the rest of PG. At 100M when fired it is crack and boom-that fast. The Chinese bounding munition is really neat as are the tandem warheads, and all the others. The idiots who designed the Striker RPG cage are now only realizing that it is effective only about 1/2 the time (your tax dollars hard at work on lab welfare again) but their computer models and infinite stupidity once again combine to get soldiers killed.
We had 2 bradleys in my brigade knocked out (they had reactive armor and the bolt on steel plates) but the gunners managed to hit them elsewhere resulting in 1 KIA and 2-4 amputuations.
Instead we are looking at the M3 Carl Gustav that costs over 20K weighs about 4 more pounds and the rockets weigh about 10 lbs a piece and are only available as are the spare parts from Sweden on a limited basis. It is more accurate but you can only fire it a limited amount in one day before you get frazzled and carry only a few rockets-go figure.
As I say to everyone I train in it's usage-"It is funny how a 40 year old piece of "Junk" has managed to destroy or damage the best and most expensive equipment on earth".

Like I always say, "it doesn't have to have to be fancy or top of the line cutting-edge tech, it just has to get the job done."

Sure and simple win over complicated and expensive nearly every time. I would love to have an RPG-7.

Quoted:
I got mine-

I notice you left out that yours is de-milled.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:43:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

me too!...but our damn homeowners association strictly prohibits shooting them in our culdesac!

I noticed a mass evacuation in my culdesac,the other day when I let my Son shoot his Chinese air rifle in the the back yard.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:45:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Next question,where can one obtain a de-milled RPG here in the states.

Stottman,I want to be just like you when I grow up!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:46:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

How much do live RPG launchers cost? Cant you still register destructive devices? Or are we just not allowed to import them? I wouldnt mind having one, can we get dummy rounds for them?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Stottman, any luck on rubber warheads?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:37:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Sportsman Guide had em in the last shooters catalog they sent me..
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:43:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sportsman Guide had em in the last shooters catalog they sent me..

RPG launcher at SG

Looking at gunbroker, it appears they also have airsoft RPG-7's
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:50:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Ha they even have airsoft "blood splatter pellets"....Those airsoft commando's have everything!!

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:21:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Its prohibited to import "destructive devices" (live RPG launcher and rounds) for civilian use. It is perfectly legal to register them, they just have to be made in USA of course.

For the rubber warheads/rockets, I have been looking. I have one German dealer that specializes in such things looking for me as well. If I can find a normal demill rocket to use, I might just make them myself... I have a nice one now, but dont want to mess up the original paint during the mold making process. I need a rubber/plastic one for myself anyway. With the ATF destuction process, I will no longer be able to insert a rocket as is in the tube.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Its prohibited to import "destructive devices" (live RPG launcher and rounds) for civilian use. It is perfectly legal to register them, they just have to be made in USA of course.

For the rubber warheads/rockets, I have been looking. I have one German dealer that specializes in such things looking for me as well. If I can find a normal demill rocket to use, I might just make them myself... I have a nice one now, but dont want to mess up the original paint during the mold making process. I need a rubber/plastic one for myself anyway. With the ATF destuction process, I will no longer be able to insert a rocket as is in the tube.

So what you're saying is that we need to do like the 40mm guys are doing and start building and selling RPG's?

It wouldn't be overly difficult to do either, you just need a live or demil RPG launcher to copy and a live or demil warhead to study, make some rocket motors, cram the warhead with explodey goodness, register with the ATF, and away you go.

In fact, just to piss off the libs, I'm gonna buy an ice cream truck and drive around selling RPG's from my mobile gun store. BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

<online gamer>  r0cket fags are teh suxxors!!!!!  n00b tube lam3r! <online gamer>  

Seriously, a modernized/impoved American RPG7 would kick ass.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#26]
was the original design of the RPG based at all on the German rocket propelled grenades like the panzerfaust?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
was the original design of the RPG based at all on the German rocket propelled grenades like the panzerfaust?

The RPG-1 was a panzerfaust, essentially. It evolved from there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#28]
man, sg is already sold out and not getting anymore til 31 oct. anyone know if these are demilled or rubber ducks?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
man, sg is already sold out and not getting anymore til 31 oct. anyone know if these are demilled or rubber ducks?

rubber ducks. Someone showed  a pic somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what you're saying is that we need to do like the 40mm guys are doing and start building and selling RPG's?

It wouldn't be overly difficult to do either, you just need a live or demil RPG launcher to copy and a live or demil warhead to study, make some rocket motors, cram the warhead with explodey goodness, register with the ATF, and away you go.

In fact, just to piss off the libs, I'm gonna buy an ice cream truck and drive around selling RPG's from my mobile gun store. BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yes, in theory. But like the grenades, each one is a DD and a tax is required.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Last time I checked this weapon was resposible for about 50% of our casulties in Iraq.

I don't think you bothered to check.  IEDs are responsible for most of our casualties, as I recall over 80% of them.

One of my soldiers after his convoy was ambushed said to me "You were right, it ain't like the movies there is no whoosh and that rocket flies damn quick".

Actually, there is a whoosh.  If anyone can host a video, I will demonstrate.

The idiots who designed the Striker RPG cage are now only realizing that it is effective only about 1/2 the time (your tax dollars hard at work on lab welfare again) but their computer models and infinite stupidity once again combine to get soldiers killed.

The idiots who designed the Stryker RPG cage know exactly how an RPG works, unlike yourself.  The slat armor is effective, but it tends to get knocked off on narrow streets, and kill a few pedestrians walking down the sidwalk as they drive by.

Of the RPGs that I fired in Iraq (which was a lot), a significant number failed to make it out of the launcher (we PMCS'd the launchers before hand to make sure the firing pins were good), and of those that made it out of the launcher, if they strike anything other than a hard (like, very hard) target, will fail to detonate.  Even the self destruct often failed (it has a pyrotechnic self destruct.. supposed to go 'bang' at about 800 m if you hit anything or not).  We only fired new or like new projectiles, in the wrapper.  Most were bulgarian, but we had chinese and iranian projectiles as well.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Stottman, do you have ATF specs for a RPG demil?  I have not been able to find anything official.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Last time I checked this weapon was resposible for about 50% of our casulties in Iraq.

I don't think you bothered to check.  IEDs are responsible for most of our casualties, as I recall over 80% of them.

One of my soldiers after his convoy was ambushed said to me "You were right, it ain't like the movies there is no whoosh and that rocket flies damn quick".

Actually, there is a whoosh.  If anyone can host a video, I will demonstrate.

The idiots who designed the Striker RPG cage are now only realizing that it is effective only about 1/2 the time (your tax dollars hard at work on lab welfare again) but their computer models and infinite stupidity once again combine to get soldiers killed.

The idiots who designed the Stryker RPG cage know exactly how an RPG works, unlike yourself.  The slat armor is effective, but it tends to get knocked off on narrow streets, and kill a few pedestrians walking down the sidwalk as they drive by.

Of the RPGs that I fired in Iraq (which was a lot), a significant number failed to make it out of the launcher (we PMCS'd the launchers before hand to make sure the firing pins were good), and of those that made it out of the launcher, if they strike anything other than a hard (like, very hard) target, will fail to detonate.  Even the self destruct often failed (it has a pyrotechnic self destruct.. supposed to go 'bang' at about 800 m if you hit anything or not).  We only fired new or like new projectiles, in the wrapper.  Most were bulgarian, but we had chinese and iranian projectiles as well.

Very interesting info. Do you know what the reason for the failure tu launch is? Could it be they are past their shelf life? and being sold to 3rd world countries...?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:08:30 PM EDT
[#34]
ooooo tag.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<online gamer>  r0cket fags are teh suxxors!!!!!  n00b tube lam3r! <online gamer>  

Seriously, a modernized/impoved American RPG7 would kick ass.  

Back during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, We provided the "Mujahadine" with US re-engineered RPG rockets. I don't recall the specifics but they were said to have more "thrust" and totally different warheads. Said to be better for knocking down choppers.

Of course, one has to wonder if any of these have been pointed at our guys.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#36]
I saw on the Military channel we gave them Anti Air rockets which fucked the Russians up, their attack choopers were not sent to the front lines anymore after that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Why did I open up this thread

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I've already shown a pic of my RPG-7 and 2..just picked this up afew days ago....if you name it..you win..........................................................nothing but our praise..Stot your not allowed to say anthing  

one hint..its Yugoslav

optical sight witht he iron sight raised
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#39]
It's a tater gun.....
They call me tater salad!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Very interesting info. Do you know what the reason for the failure tu launch is? Could it be they are past their shelf life? and being sold to 3rd world countries...?

Occasionally, there would be evidence of weak primer hits, but usually not.  We'd just hold for a minute or two, then pull it out of the launcher; try a different round.  Good, solid hits on the primers.

The coolest thing about the RPG to me is the design of the projectile.. it's almost completely idiot proof.  The firing pin hits a primer that ignites the launch motor, but not the sustainer rocket.  If you forget to put the launch motor on, nothing will happen, and you've wasted a round, but you are alive.

Let me back up a second.. The launch motor shoots the rocket out of the launcher, then about ten meters out, the sustainer motor kicks in.  If the sustainer motor were to fire in the tube, you'd get a face full of rocket blast... but that can't happen, 'cause the sustainer rocket is functioned by 'setback' (which is parts moving caused by the rocket being accellerated by the launch motor).  If you forget to put on the launch motor, no setback, the rocket doesn't  fire, the fuze doesn't  arm.

Almost elegant.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Is that an M57?

I have a very nice looking rubber duck for an M57.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Stottman, do you have ATF specs for a RPG demil?  I have not been able to find anything official.

I posted a copy of the letter they sent me here-
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=72931

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Is that an M57?

I have a very nice looking rubber duck for an M57.

we gottaaaaaaa a winner....yep a yugo M57 launcher
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:01:36 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I saw on the Military channel we gave them Anti Air rockets which fucked the Russians up, their attack choopers were not sent to the front lines anymore after that.

Stinger's.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:36:24 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The RPG-1 was a panzerfaust, essentially. It evolved from there.

can you find a picture of an RPG-1?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for the demil info, Stottman.

I have heard that if the firing pin on a rocket launcher is NOT deactivated, but it has a bore sized hole and has a bar welded accross the bore, a launcher would transfer as a title one firearm.  FAC was selling deactivated 2 inch british mortars in this configuration.  

Does anybody have any reference material that might support or refute this?

Oh, and the ATF is full of shit about drilling an 88mm hole in your projectile.  Ship it without the ogive, it'll have an 88mm hole in it where the bang used to be.  I wouldn't drill a cherry round like that.  Ship the ogive separate.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Thanks for the demil info, Stottman.

I have heard that if the firing pin on a rocket launcher is NOT deactivated, but it has a bore sized hole and has a bar welded accross the bore, a launcher would transfer as a title one firearm.  FAC was selling deactivated 2 inch british mortars in this configuration.  

Does anybody have any reference material that might support or refute this?

Oh, and the ATF is full of shit about drilling an 88mm hole in your projectile.  Ship it without the ogive, it'll have an 88mm hole in it where the bang used to be.  I wouldn't drill a cherry round like that.  Ship the ogive separate.

No problem. As for the deact specs, this is all I have.. Since I am having to import it the hard way (versus on a 463L pallet or ISU90 on a C-5/C-17) I am going with what I have.

Having the demill finished on the launcher itself, then I can resubmit my Form 6.....

Rocket, I am not doing anything to.

I have a line on an original cutaway as well......
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#48]
a cutaway round would be sweet!!!!!!!!!!

If you find any inert Rounds for my M57...buy me one
hey I can wish..........oh and afew PG rounds would be nice too
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:47:03 AM EDT
[#49]
I have both cutaway RPG 7M rounds, and an M57 display round.

I mentioned in my earlier post that I had one.  It's a 'rubber duck', but it looks good and the fins work (spring loaded- pop out, fold in).
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:04:32 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I have both cutaway RPG 7M rounds, and an M57 display round.

members.cox.net/eodinert/M57%20projo%20small.jpg

I mentioned in my earlier post that I had one.  It's a 'rubber duck', but it looks good and the fins work (spring loaded- pop out, fold in).

you tease I couldn't even find one when I was in bosnia on both tours..lots of PG rounds but not one single M57 round
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top