Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 8:44:51 AM EDT
Having worked in Public service for the last 35 years ... Dealing with elected officials and politically appointed idiots on a daily basis ... My worst fears have been confirmed ...........

They are everywhere !!!! ... From the bottom to the top ... We are being governed by Morons !!

I once thought that it was just my bad luck, or Gods way of inflicting pain and suffering on a wayward Son ... But no ............. They ARE everywhere !!

We are witnessing the failure of those which we elected and those that they appointed, to handle events like those on the Gulf coast last Sun. .... and those that continue today ...

The sad fact is, they failed because we fail to hold them accountable ... We elect them and forget about them ... Never giving another thought to who is actually "standing guard" ...

This is truly a sad time in America .....

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#1]
No one has responded to this thread, oddly.  Maybe because the truth hurts.  I'm not a big Newt Gingrich fan, but he said it well today when he criticized the poor response to the whole Katrina mess, especially since we had warning.  What will we do if the SHTF on a national basis (bio or nuclear terror, or accident).  I live near Memphis, TN and it would go down just like New Orleans if something major happened - maybe a little worse.  Memphis' mayor is a moron amongst morons.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I think no one responded because this is the AK discussion forum.  

As for elected officials being morons, sure.  The US is too big.  Too many religions and more importantly, ethnic groups, guarantees that no one will ever be totally happy with what they've got.  Check out Switzerland . . . a small population, a general lack of religion, and a homogenous culture.  You never really hear about strife of any kind in that country.  I'm not saying that lack of religion and a homogenous culture is how I'd want it, but it does create less problems.

ETA: Forgot about the decentralization.  That's good too.

ETA again: According to the Wikipedia article on Switzerland, the country is, in fact, not all that homogenous, yet is icredibly stable "due to consultation between the elites of each of its major social groups."
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, I attribute about 60% of the blame for the weak infrastructure we have on Komrade Klinton - he was more worried about chasing skirt than building up the nation.  He pretty much single-handedly caused 9-11 to occur in my book too.  Clinton just pissed bin-Laden off when he launched cruise missiles at him; it made us appear inept when we did nothing to bin-Laden and it strengthened bin-Laden's influence and support in the Islamic world.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#5]

The sad fact is, they failed because we fail to hold them accountable

sir, you are correct and i hold my head in shame to be part of that.
we as a nation have not held our government accountable for answers, they give us what they want and what they will and we accept it as enough. if it does not satisfy us completely and convince us of the wrong doings being corrected it was not enough.

i am a liberal, but i lay blame on all presidents, on all sides of the fence. i dont pretend that clinton did a wonderful job, and i dont pretend bush is doing a good job now. I think what is happening is that america is waking up. the outrage is growing,

i'm sad at what it has taken and i'm sad at what is happening more.

and to be fair, bush has managed to continue what clinton did, and make it even worst. clinton handled bin laden in a crappy way, and now bush has the entire extremist world after us and we still dont have bin laden. *shakes head*
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Also, I attribute about 60% of the blame for the weak infrastructure we have on Komrade Klinton - he was more worried about chasing skirt than building up the nation.  He pretty much single-handedly caused 9-11 to occur in my book too.  Clinton just pissed bin-Laden off when he launched cruise missiles at him; it made us appear inept when we did nothing to bin-Laden and it strengthened bin-Laden's influence and support in the Islamic world.  

Not to flame, but are you really serious?  OK, no need to reply to me, just pointing out I disagree with every word you typed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I Blame the White Man
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Guess four years from now, the "Katrina Commission" will publish their findings like the 9-11 Commission published theirs.  Can't "wait" to read the "truth" about the "real" reasons for the loss of life, property, reason for looting, raping, killing, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to flame, but are you really serious?  OK, no need to reply to me, just pointing out I disagree with every word you typed.

I'm with squeky.  You've been brainwashed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#10]
The reason the Dems jumped so fast on the blame band wagon is their awareness that the lion's share of blame was squarely on their hands... so what better thing to do than to immediately make the story "someone else's fault"? Like the man caught in adultery suddenly howling about tresspassing. Clinton did this all the time: accuse others of the same crimes you're actually committing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

OT but where in AR,  I'm in Jonesboro.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The reason the Dems jumped so fast on the blame band wagon is their awareness that the lion's share of blame was squarely on their hands... so what better thing to do than to immediately make the story "someone else's fault"? Like the man caught in adultery suddenly howling about tresspassing. Clinton did this all the time: accuse others of the same crimes you're actually committing.

Why don't we dig up FDR's grave and beat the shit out of his skeleton for starting Social Security while we're at it blaming people who have no control over the current situation for the current situation.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#13]
When are people responsible for thier own safety and well being?   People were told 48 hours in advance
to GET OUT OF THE AREA BECAUSE THINGS WERE GOING TO GET BAD...I dont know about you, but i would have gotten as far away from there as i could of by ANY MEANS POSSIBLE.

You can say all you want about blame, but The blame for this sits on the shoulders of the mayor of
New Orleans for not having an emergengy response plan in place for such a occasion, and on the
Governor of the state of Louisiana for not taking charge and getting the National Guard in place
sooner then she did.  You can point fingers at who ever you want, and politicize this even before the
dead are removed from the streets. But that would be such an gross injustice to the persons involved in
the response that is occuring down there at this time.  To think that persons would attempt to use this
situation for political gain, is almost borderline treason.  To point the finger of blame because someone
else didnt act as fast as you thought they should have acted in the situation, is flat out wrong.
The Democrats and others that are trying to politicize this disaster should shut the hell up until the
situation is in control and things are stabilized in the effected area. I dare them to be part of the solution and help the situation by leading, don't whip up dissent to make things more difficult to do than they all readyare down there. They won't take that dare because they are incapable of leading anything that works. The Politicians that have done this are the scum of the earth, and i rate them as low as the thiefing, raping, murdering, gun toting gangs of human scum that are running around the streets of New Orleans at this time.  

I plan on remembering just who they are, and letting them know how i feel now, and on election day.

KyARGuy

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I remember a scene on the TV news on Tuesday, I believe, and I'v been thinking about that scene since then. I'm kind of ashamed about what my thoughts were, but then again, I'm not. The scene was inside the N.O. superdome, of a woman who was literally jumping up and down and screaming at the news camera in rage, " GET US OUT OF HERE YOU (EXPLETIVE) My immediate reaction was along the lines of" stupid cow, she's so spoiled from years of free handouts from the govt., free cash aid, free food aid, medicaid, rent free apartment, ect, she thinks the govt is responsible for her safety. Fuck her, I hope she dies!
I can't believe so many people could not find a way out of town with the advance warning that was sent out. I think they just thought the govt would bale them out, like they've always baled them out. I think the govt should put an immediate end to all forms of assistance, as people are just too damn dependent on the govt. Sure, people would die, but back in the pilgrim days, they had a very simple rule that they all followed: if you don't work for your food and shelter, you are going to starve! And these pilgrams were very religious people, but they did not believe in handouts. People were responsible for their own safety, for building their own homes, for hunting and raising their own food. No one did it for them. I'm goddamn tired of watching my tax dollars just swirling down the drain, feeding and clothing and sheltering deadbeats who don't want to be responsible for their own wellbeing! SO FUCK THEM, I HOPE THEY ALL DIE!!!!

OJF
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:35:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Kyarguy is right. The blame for the delayed response sits squarely on the shoulders of the mayor and the governor.  They both knew it was coming and apparently did NOTHING. Then in order to avoid blame they (especially the mayor) began complaining about the slow federal response. The media jumped on the bandwagon. One TV reporter asked the head of FEMA why the National Guard wasn't in the city yet. Wake up. The NG is controlled by the govenor. Typical liberal bullshit!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:07:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I was a 1LT in the South Carolina National Guard when Hurricane Hugo hit back in 1989.  We were alerted two days before the storm hit, activated the day before the storm hit, and rolled into the effected area the day after the storm with food water and chain saws.  Charleston and the surrounding area is very similar to Louisiana in both infrastructure and population - we have lots of poor folks around that area.  I stayed on site 10 days before our unit was releived by another unit.  We didn't see any federal assets for well over a week.

I am still wondering why it took 5 days for the Lousiana National Guard to show up.  Sounds like piss poor prior planning at the state level to me.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:11:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I was mobilized with the VA ARNG 2 years ago this month to the Chesapeake/Norfolk area for hurricane relief.  8 days of passing out ice/water and "presence" to deter looters.  It sucked, but it worked well and there was never any question of bringing Federal troops in.

WTF is going on with the governor of LA and the the LA Nat'l Guard?  And what about that New Orleans police chief crying on the television?

Glad I live in Virginia.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:25:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I was a 1LT in the South Carolina National Guard when Hurricane Hugo hit back in 1989.  We were alerted two days before the storm hit, activated the day before the storm hit, and rolled into the effected area the day after the storm with food water and chain saws.  Charleston and the surrounding area is very similar to Louisiana in both infrastructure and population - we have lots of poor folks around that area.  I stayed on site 10 days before our unit was releived by another unit.  We didn't see any federal assets for well over a week.

I am still wondering why it took 5 days for the Lousiana National Guard to show up.  Sounds like piss poor prior planning at the state level to me.

I think the layout of New Orleans is quite different than anywhere in SC.   Most of New Orleans is below sea level.  I think the mayor, gov., and Bush are all at fault.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:57:45 AM EDT
[#20]
to be honest, everyone is at fault, but as power is lost, so is responsibilty.

the mayor is doing the best he can with what he has. like you said, half the police force up and turned in their badges. there are reports of others drowning while trying to help. the fire department is doing an amazing job from what i've heard. but he has very limited resources. making a fuss gets attention, and thats waht he needs. good attention/bad attention; if it gets him food/water/and rescue units, who cares. i respect him because he is going through a real test of character, i would never wish that on anyone.

the govenor, why in the hell the national guard wasn't mobilized i will never understand. i place that firmly on her. i haven't watched too closely what she has done

bush, fema planned for this last year and even conducted mock hurricane relief drills. they estimated the body count at 60,000 and still said that they had 3/4ths of the needed shelters and supplies. the UN(and tons of countries) have offered us help, why aren't we taking it- we can use it. why did it take 5 days to mobilize other units to go down there? does it make it ok that the state response sucks? why did he have to cut funding for the levies? all they needed were supplies, they had free manpower to do work on them.

and as for everyone leaving. not everyone can. NO is full of poorer people. many of which dont have cars. when you tell them to leave and they have no way to go, no where to go, and no money to stay anywhere except for a hundred or so spare they MAY have in their banks.. you're not going to get them all to leave. many assumed the hurricane could be gotten through(and they were right), it was the breach of the levies they didn't forsee. add to that the many older people who are left there. i've seen people pushing their grandparents around, retirement communities sitting on street corners togeather just waiting for something.

not everyone that is left in New orleans is a criminal. are there some? sure. is everyone who is taking food a criminal? no, they're hungry. 5 days without food/drink isn't healthy to say the least.

we can pretend that its simple and that everyone there is. but that isn't true.
those who are real criminals, and those idiots who are shooting at the police station/choppers- they're morons. plain and simple.

i can think of things that have not been done that would ease the concern of those stranded. food drops / water drops, pamphlet drops, loud speaker missions to raise moral.

again. why haven't we allowed other nations to help us?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Has the GD forum over-flowed?

I guess it is pretty much THE subject matter, and having the discussion here ensures you share ideas with your "friends" (fellow AK enthusiasts)
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I think the layout of New Orleans is quite different than anywhere in SC.   Most of New Orleans is below sea level.  I think the mayor, gov., and Bush are all at fault.  

I can see where the water is a natural barrier.  South Carolina has a series of barrier islands that were isolated during Hugo.  We used our National Guard helicopters to drop in water and generators the day after the storm.

The normal role of the federal goverment in a hurricane is to support the first responders and the individual state's National Guard as requested by the governor. The more I see, the more I question the Louisiana governor's actions, or lack thereof.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd love to know what barroom floor they scraped the FEMA director off of before they appointed him.  The Governor and Mayor are.. well.. interesting characters certainly, but that director has been seesawing between "*click-click* There's no place like home.. There's no place like home" and "Why hello Mr. Reporter, I represent the Lollipop Guild".

The FEMA response has been of unprecidented size I understand, and it looks like there are bright enough bulbs strung down that chain of command, but at the tip of the pyramid is Pee-Wee Herman.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:17:06 AM EDT
[#24]
This is the reason according to Kanye West
www.zippyvideos.com/5609586561037636/shootus/
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#25]
By the sheeple, For the sheeple... My eyes have been open for years,and for that I have been labeled as "CRAZY" by family and friends. My stockpiles of food and water(along with guns and ammo) will put me at the top of the barter list. The GOV> is slow in helping becuase we don't have the personal or money . Helping to save the world is obviosly more important , than helping our own. Sheeple that rely on the GOV. are the same ones you see on TV bitching that no one is helping them right now. It has always been about being self reliant, that way no one is to blame but yourself....
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm with squeky.  You've been brainwashed.

A LIBERAL in AK discussions!?!?!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#27]
several actually. myself included.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Own an AK?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Own an AK?

yup. and as soon as i get back to a drill press to finish my romy kit, i'll own two.
then i can start working on my amd-65.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Own an AK?

yup. and as soon as i get back to a drill press to finish my romy kit, i'll own two.
then i can start working on my amd-65.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I remember a scene on the TV news on Tuesday, I believe, and I'v been thinking about that scene since then. I'm kind of ashamed about what my thoughts were, but then again, I'm not. The scene was inside the N.O. superdome, of a woman who was literally jumping up and down and screaming at the news camera in rage, " GET US OUT OF HERE YOU (EXPLETIVE) My immediate reaction was along the lines of" stupid cow, she's so spoiled from years of free handouts from the govt., free cash aid, free food aid, medicaid, rent free apartment, ect, she thinks the govt is responsible for her safety. Fuck her, I hope she dies!
I can't believe so many people could not find a way out of town with the advance warning that was sent out. I think they just thought the govt would bale them out, like they've always baled them out. I think the govt should put an immediate end to all forms of assistance, as people are just too damn dependent on the govt. Sure, people would die, but back in the pilgrim days, they had a very simple rule that they all followed: if you don't work for your food and shelter, you are going to starve! And these pilgrams were very religious people, but they did not believe in handouts. People were responsible for their own safety, for building their own homes, for hunting and raising their own food. No one did it for them. I'm goddamn tired of watching my tax dollars just swirling down the drain, feeding and clothing and sheltering deadbeats who don't want to be responsible for their own wellbeing! SO FUCK THEM, I HOPE THEY ALL DIE!!!!
OJF

+1 OJF!!!

Natural selection is what its called..And its a great way to conserve food, gas, water and air..Every man for himself and his family, the way life intended for it to be...Instead its mine and your fault they have nothing and are hungry, thirsty, raped and shot at....Natural selection.. GOD's way of thining the herd and he's got alot more to take to the slaughter house if you ask me...If every man and women are trully equal then no help from me should be needed, looks like there were plenty of people there to chip in and get anything they wanted done if they would have just "united"... These veiws may not represent the opinions of this web site or there contributer's thank you..
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#33]
'Splain to me, please.  I'm just a poor old dumb farmer.  I don't build house, barn, hogpen, chicken coop or anything else down in that low area by the creek.  I don't ask township, county, state or USA to build levee and install pumps, so I can build house, barn, hogpen, chicken coop or anything else down in that low area by the creek.  No, instead, I put cows down there.  When it rains and the creek comes up, cows walk up the hill.  I don't even have to tell them, they just walk up the hill.

Now here is my question for all of you, and remember, I am just a poor old dumb farmer.  I like red beans and rice.  If I eat too much of them, will I likely move the cows up the hill, ask the township, county, state or USA to build levee and install pumps, so I can build house, barn, hogpen, chicken coop or anything else.........
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Here's a new twist to the Three Stooges run the recovery story..........

I live near Fort walton Beach.......this is a tourist town and the last "Week end" of the season...

We have zero gas.

Not on base, not down town....not anywhere.

Mrs. Pave, the teacher, got a call a few minutes ago telling her that there is no fuel for the school buses for Tuesday.....expect  there will not be school.

Even Wally World is out.

This is my sixth 'cane, including 4 near direct hits, including one low "4"....

This has never happened before.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I saw on C-SPAN yesterday some woman bitching about whose gonna get the contracts to clean up down there.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#43]

NEW ORLEANS — Police shot eight people carrying guns on a New Orleans (search) bridge Sunday, killing five or six of them, a deputy chief said.

Dam thats ashame only 5 or 6 of them? I think someone need more time on the range.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#44]
The 256 Brigade of the Louisiana Guard is in Iraq.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Why is the National Guard not protecting the Homeland?  WTF are they protecting another country?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#46]
i have a ton of questions.

"why weren't the national guard federalized"
"why did it take longer to help our own citizens than in the other half of the world"
"why weren't emergency funds allocated before it hit in anticipation as was the case with klinton in 99 with floyd?"

heck. even clinton said "the government failed".
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

"why did it take longer to help our own citizens than in the other half of the world"
"why weren't emergency funds allocated before it hit in anticipation as was the case with klinton in 99 with floyd?"

Answer to questions #1 and #2- The governer
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Answer to questions #1 and #2- The governer

I'm curious as to how many NG troops the Governor of LA had at her disposal versus how many of the state's NG is in Iraq.  I know a few months ago, the Governor of MT asked the Pentagon for some of his NG troops back for fire season... he was denied that request.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#49]
the president can federalize the national guard and take control of them. that is what i mean by federalize. it was done during the LA riots if i remember correctly. i believe it goes under the control of the homeland security dept.

its easy to say that one side is clearly at fault, but when it takes 5 days for our president and our state to respond, then it isn't so clear. i'm not pushing the blame away from either the governor or the pres, simply put, both failed to respond and both failed to anticipate the damage and get ready for it. its not that the right is failing and the left didn't, nor is it that the left failed and the right did their jobs.
they failed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#50]
My buddy in Gulfport said it took 4 days to get water down there.  Said there were a lot of rumors floating about N'awlins.  Don't have the heart to tell him the truth  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top