Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/27/2005 6:25:51 AM EDT
It is a buddy of mine who got this NORINCO MODEL 63....it is  quite an odd-ball, as it looks like a cross between an SKS and an AK, reciever /bolt is like an SKS, but it accepts regular AK mags, not the long extension lipped SKS hi cap mags, but regular double stack ak 7.62 X39 mags. It is odd, as I don't really mess with the SKS's  or know a lot about them. HELP!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:34:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is a link to some info. Info

"TYPE 63:  If a Type 56 and an AK-47 were to have offspring, this would be the result.  Although the outside looks like a SKS, the inside has a rotary bolt and detachable magazine like the AK.  The trigger group is select fire and the gas block has a gas regulating knob protruding from the front of the gas block running parallel to the barrel.  This regulator adjusted to tune the action in rapid fire mode.  It was made with both wooden and tan plastic stocks.  Occasionally, one of the tan gas tube covers will make it onto a Type 56 during a repair and got shipped to the US.  A few of the select fire trigger groups also made their way into this country, but if you don't have a Class III FFL they are illegal to own in the US. "
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:37:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Its called a SKS-D or SKS-M depending on who you ask. Imported by Norinco for a short time.
They go for $350 or so, depending on condition. I've had a couple of them, nice toys.
Usually blond wood and thumbhole stock, sometimes you'll find them with straight stock.
Make sure the firing pin channel is clean and use no oil in it (the channel). 30 rounds is alot if it starts slam firing.  Mine would slam fire with civvie ammo. Switch to hard primered .mil stuff and it'll work out better.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:38:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks JoeBud and Slacker. Now next question......what are they worth? His is like new, but I can't find any on sites having been sold or anything to compare it to. Thanks again.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to have one before I knew how scarce they were they just started coming in to states when assault ban stopped them. They were not just Norinco I hace pictures of them being used by kremlin guards and another which is supposed to be of N. Korean commandos. I don't know what Russia called them but know Chine used type 63 carbine
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The SKS M ior S designated guns arent Chinese inventions and were NEVER carried by any military units. The Paratrooper models(theres also a model that takes regular SKS mags) were an invention of US business men. In the late 80s just before the bans started and group of American arms importers went to china and told them to cut the barrels down for a special model SKS "The Cowboy". It evolved a little and the ban hit. the others sent over here had butthole stocks on them and the bayo lug gound down. All paratrooper models command top dollar. The ones that take AK mags go for $400-$450 in great condition to new. The models that take the SKS mags go for $250-$350 depending on condition. I have a new unfired SKS paratrooper that takes the SKS mags (30 rounders also). If I sold it it would be $350.00. Mine has the bayonet on it and regular stock.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#6]
The Model 63 is a totally different rifle than the M or D (sporter). More than likey the original poster is referring to a M or D. Just curious why he referred to it as a Model 63.

Model 63 info
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#7]
The rifle is stamped "model 63" on the reciever. I will get a pic or two from my bud and post them here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Thats what i was thinking also. Type 63 would be very rare here in th US. Well if it is a type 63 its worth some big bucks I would guess. not to many seen.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top