Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/21/2005 9:04:18 AM EDT
I have bought the new Ultimak rail system and am amazed by the quality and stability this set up offers.  With the new rail system it is impossible to burn your self on the Ultimak gastube rail. If you attach Knights panels it is to thick to grab the hot gas tube rail. After attaching a light and OTAL laser on my  Bulgarian with side folding stock is very evil looking.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Once, I bought an AK and treated it like it was my M4....hung all kinds of shit on it...

These days...just the side rail and a POSP optic...all the gadgets in the world aren't gonna do anything more than making your weapon more topheavy than the design already is.

Investing in a RSA trigger system is possibly the best third party accesory I ever bought for my weapon, that and the 2.5-5x POSP sight.

So no rail system for me, even more so I have recently ordered laminated wooden furniture again for my Hungarian AK which has long been dressed in Bulgarian polymer.

Call me an AK snob if you will......but even on AR15's I think all those "tactical" accesories are just distracting on what's really important...a good rifle with a competent shooter on the trigger.

[rant rant rant, grumpy old man mode off]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#2]

I have one on my wasr.
I love it.
I used it to mount a red dot on it.
Eyesight isn't the greatest and it really helps.
Only draw back is that it gets HOT after a couple mags so watch your finger tips.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
+1 these are AK's not AR's.mmk

I agree but when you suffer from bad eyesight sometimes you have to bend the rules a little.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#5]
The AK "purist" "Kalashnisnob" clique on this side is really starting to parallel the AR TactiKool Mall-Ninja side.

"Pure" AK variants are really great - I agree!

Putting an UltiMak (high quality piece) and an Aimpoint (high quality piece) on an AK and being able to shoot it more effectively seems pretty great too...

I'd be happy to join in the debates of the clone AKs vs. the "tactical" AKs and that's all pretty fun stuff. Know what gets real old though?

"That thar stuff dun't belong on uh AK - yer stupid."

"Why did yuh put that on yer AK? Yer stupid."

"AK's ain't AR's. Yer stupid."

"5.56mm is fer AR's. Iffin' you got a 5.56mm AK, yer stupid."

Thanks for the enlightened contributions.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Where is the AWWW GEEZ NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN guy?????

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The AK "purist" "Kalashnisnob" clique on this side is really starting to parallel the AR TactiKool Mall-Ninja side.

Putting an UltiMak (high quality piece) and an Aimpoint (high quality piece) on an AK and being able to shoot it more effectively seems pretty great too...

I'd be happy to join in the debates of the clone AKs vs. the "tactical" AKs and that's all pretty fun stuff. Know what gets real old though?

I absolutely agree. I am sure that the same people that complain about these things have automobiles that do not have air conditioning, power windows, power doorlocks, power steering, or power brakes. The, "AR"/situation enhancing, accessories that "individuals" place on "their" firearm is not for everyone, but it does cater to one's specific wants and/or needs. I have decided to officially name the AK purist the "AK Amish". I think that accurately describes the attitude that is displayed here everytime someone mentions so called "AR accessories" on an AK.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Blah blah blah blah blah.

(Stolen from Tantal's page)

There's plenty of ways to make a "TactiKool" AK without putting shit on it that makes it look like it's the latest accessory from the House of Gooch.

Look!

Folding stock, red dot scope, flashlight!!  OMG!  IT'S ALL TACTICAL NOW!

And it looks a billion times better than a shitty Ultimak rail.

And, for what it's worth, the topic is "Why no ultimak rail systems on peoples AKs" - he's asking for opinions.

Apparently those of us that don't like the accessory in question need to shut up now?

There's plenty of accessories that are authentic and cool AND inexpensive without having to tackweld a rail onto a gas tube and call it "Tactical".

Hell, if you need a rail, they make siderail adaptors that have a damned rail on them.

Want a flashlight or a laser on your AK?  Here's another option:

No, you can't neccessarily call this authentic - but it's unobtrusive and it doesn't look like pure crap.

I'm not a purist - I'm just not a crap-ist.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

An Ul-Tee Whut? Whatcha need wunna them fer? If you put wunna them tack-welded POS's on yer AK, yer stupid.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
An Ul-Tee Whut? Whatcha need wunna them fer? If you put wunna them tack-welded POS's on yer AK, yer stupid.

Sorry, forgot I was having a discussion with a 3 year old.

For the record, I don't believe anyone called anyone stupid - we're just here stating our opinions...
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#11]
i like some of the classic look, i like some of the tactical look.
why? means to an end.
for example, i like foregrips on my guns. i prefer them, it feels better when i shoot with them.
i have the funky looking romy wood set with the foregrip on it, and i have a tdi w/ grip on it.
another example,
i like to have optics, so i want a red dot to go with the tdi synth set and a good ole scope to go with my wood. mixing them doesn't look good, but its nice to have a variety.

in my opinion , having 8 guns that look the exact same is somewhat boring. i have to change it up.
some people like it, but thats them and not me.

the main reason i'm not sold on the ultima ak rail is the price, there are other options that are more tempting price wise to me right now.

ps. i like that flashlight mod though, where did that come from? neat alternatives. always fun.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Look I had the ultimak/aimpoint combo, it worked great. number 1 no problem. For some reason the POSP works better for me and I get to regain the original look.

Even so, there are no AK47N's and I have a milled type3 FEG AK47. So I did bend the rules a bit. My point was that people tend to hang whatever tactical they can find on their weapons. Put everything but the kitchen sink on it (both our countries military forces included) and seem to be forgetting what it was supposed to do. Give the shooter a fine tool, being an AR, AK, HK, FaL whatever, to fire at targets and that in the end all that really matters is the weapon, ammunition and the shooter not necessarily in that order.

Bas
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I was in a gun shop one day and this guy has a M4 setup with all kinds of things mounted forward of the magazine.  The beastie weighed as much or more than my FAL
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:12:29 PM EDT
[#15]
The Ultimak seems like a good way to mount a red dot if you're not a fan of the AK side mounting rail system, or want to run a western optic.  There is a place for traditional AK's, but I think there is a place for modernized/accessorized AK's as well.  I'm not a fan of the Tapco AR accessories for AK's, or hanging usless crap off a rifle, but it's hard to argue against an optic and a light for a carbine.  Can you believe I even have an AR with nothing hung off it or bolted on?  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The Ultimak seems like a good way to mount a red dot if you're not a fan of the AK side mounting rail system, or want to run a western optic.

Can you believe I even have an AR with nothing hung off it or bolted on?  

Sure can.  I've got two of them...  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:36:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Finnish%20Defense%20Forces/FinnishM62.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Finnish%20Defense%20Forces/FDFM92.jpg

George Herbert Walker Bush, I hate you.

Like Templar said, it's very possible to make an AK into a better firearm without being a douchebag about it.

The reason most of the guys here hate "AR stuff" on AK's is because every once in a while some (usually) newb posts a pic of his WASR-10 with a rail system, Tacpoint, $20 Chinese laser, mini-maglite in a 1" ring, AR stock, and OD green Crapco SAW grip, and then asks what everybody thinks of it.

I have a Valmet 62 and a Krebs KTR-03V. They aren't "traditional" AK's but I'll be damned if they aren't better weapons than any Izhevsk AKM clone with purty laminate furniture and "correct" painted finish.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:54:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Having had the chance to shoot a M62 I agree, there are very good evolutions on the Kalashnikov system. But owning an improved weapon based on the kalashnikov system and owning a AR15nd AK are two different things.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:38:42 AM EDT
[#19]
thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=150764

Couple nice AR-47s at the bottom.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#20]
HOHOHOHO!

See, this is the kind thing we're talking about disliking...

I just don't get it...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
HOHOHOHO!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/timc/SAR1withlaser.jpg

See, this is the kind thing we're talking about disliking...

I just don't get it...

I like toys as much as the next guy, but that is an abomination.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have TDI upper now for a red dot on a siderail-free AMD63, and really like the front pistol grip too. Another had a quad rail thread last week for his VEPR.

I don't know why, but the AMD-63 or AMD-65 forward grips, or the Romanian wood forward grips look "right", while a K-style grip just looks "wrong".
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I thought mounting optics on the cover was bad mojo?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top