Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/20/2005 4:27:21 AM EDT
What would be a good gun to build other than the AK. I have built 3 aks and have enjoyed the learning and the cussing involved with building but I would like to learn another gun now. So here is what I'm looking for. 1) price close to ak 2) able to order parts with out having to hunt the whole world 3) Not have to do machine work. I don't know anyone that has the tools or know how. Other than that I'm open to ideas. I don't care if its a rifle, pistol, or smg. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:01:19 AM EDT
[#1]
AR 15......
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:02:18 AM EDT
[#2]

get a 1919a4  very easy to build, you only have to buy a sideplate and trigger and sear..
only draw back is 4 internal parts need machining.. which can be sent out to be done if you dont have a mill..  

best of all its Belt feed !    and very addictive!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:10:09 AM EDT
[#3]
AR15, FAL, M14, G3, and get several of the  surplus Bolt guns that are out there.... WD
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice tripod Pat..That's the biggest expence there is on the 1919....Funny I just got back from the fun store and we were talking about just this....
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Nice tripod Pat..That's the biggest expence there is on the 1919....Funny I just got back from the fun store and we were talking about just this....

Nope!  The biggest expense is FEEDING it!!  A 250rd belt dosent last too long in one of those things.

BTW: Build a FAL, (or two) If you've already built a few AK's, then the AR kits will be too simple to keep your interest. (Its about a 45min "build" if you take a couple breaks)

The FAL takes a at least an hour or two.  Not including stripping and refinishing them, that takes a long time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I should have clarified building expence..That is so true David.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I would like to try a M14 who has part kits for them. If I can't find a M14 I would like to try a FAL who has the best price FALs
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I would like to try a M14 who has part kits for them. If I can't find a M14 I would like to try a FAL who has the best price FALs

I dont know about m14 "kits" I think thats more of a scrounging process than just finding a chopped one.  Pick up a copy of SGN and you'll find several vendors who sell M14 parts.  Also check Fulton Armory (forgot the web addy, just google it).

For FAL's go to falfiles.com/forums and camp out in the marketplace for a kit and all of your other parts needs.   You can also find those parts in any SGN issue.   I hear rumors that a few vendors including Akron Armory will be getting some more kits soon too so you may want to keep an eye on them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Pretty much what david said - most folks have to scrounge USGI M14 parts and they are getting pretty expensive.  There are a few guys who piece together a kit from a certain manufacturer and then sell the lot - these lots are in the $1000 - $1100 range.  Add in the Fulton Armory or LRB receiver and that is another $600 or so...  Very expensive builds...

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:36:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone tried one of the Yugo M-56 kits? I found a place that sales 80% rec. I wonder how hard it would be to build one of this things. I sure do like the looks of them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#12]
What about semi-auto stens? anyone know antything about those?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top