Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 2:03:25 PM EDT
I have a Polish laminate stockset from laukart that is absolutely beautiful.   I hate to use it on the wrong rifle or have to sell it to fund other projects.

I have a Romy AKM kit on its way from DPH, but I really want to build a Polish AKM clone.

Should I try to trade for a PMKMS kit minus the underfolding stock?  Wouldn't that be all that I need to do?

How much can all of the underfolder hardware be sold for?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Put the wooden laminate stock on the PMKMS, put the UF on the rommie kit and call it a day.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Its not a bad idea at all,I would buy the PMKMS kit and swap the rear trunnion then sell the Romy kit as an underfolder.Be sure to include this in your description of the Romy kit in the EE.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=74395
Turn your Rommie AIM kit into an AIMS with the addition of the u/f.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#4]
On second thought,..................you could just sell me the Polish Laminated stock set and build the Romy!Yeah,.............thats a better idea.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#5]
That is exactly what I am doing with one of my kits.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Same here, no underfolders allowed in Michigan.  26" limit on firearms or considered SBR,  I will soon be ditching my underfolders.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a PMKMS kit on the way and was pointed towards those stock sets and asked around.  I was told that it would be a perfectly acceptable rifle- nothing goofy or frankenstein about it.  I wouldn't have to cut any holes for the underfolder either- another bonus...

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#8]
you can mix and match just about anything man......that's what's so dang cool about building
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I did exactly the same thing years ago, I had bought some polish guns and built one as a AKM and used the folder on a AMD63 kit. It's all good...
here's a bad picture of it here
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I sold the underfolders on both of my PMKMS kits ad bought Laukart's matching wood buttstocks to go them.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I know you can do anything you want, but I thought it would be nice to keep the parts kit pretty true to it's "heritage" and not frankenstein it.  I figure'd it would be more of a collector's grade if it kept it's original parts and setup style than by selling off parts and swapping things out.  I've been told the same gun would or could have been built with or without the wood stock so the only way to know in the future AFTER I build it would be to travel to Poland and look up the serial number, which won't be there anyway...

One more question though-

If I bought the Ohio Ordnance receiver, would I just start riveting parts to it?  I'll have to locate and drill all of my own holes, especially the folder holes, right?  

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Really,the only non-Polish part would be the rear trunnion,most rear trunnions are not marked with a Country code and would,more than likely,never be noticed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#13]
so if there were no polish rear trunnions for wood stocks, would that also mean there were no polish solid stock PK's?

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
so if there were no polish rear trunnions for wood stocks, would that also mean there were no polish solid stock PK's?

Anything is possible,I have'nt seen any Polish PMKM [full stock] kits imported other than the type III kits that came in a few years ago.I am saying,you can build one from a PMKMS kit replacing the folding stock trunnion with an AKM rear trunnion from another East European Country and end up with an authentic Polish variation.I've heard of several cases where Eastern Bloc Countries exchanged certain parts such as trunnions.The part that I would be most concerned with would be the reciever.My ideal choices,since there has'nt been any stamped Polish recievers imported,would be
FEG,Hungarian
Egyptian Maadi
Romanian SAR 1
If I could'nt find any of these imported recievers I would research the US made ones and go from there.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Do it! I put the same stock on my SAR 1 & 2. Looks damn cool!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Same here, no underfolders allowed in Michigan.  26" limit on firearms or considered SBR,  I will soon be ditching my underfolders.

You can have an underfolder but you have to register it as a pistol, same thing with AKS74's, amd65's and UZI's i'm sure theres others as well.  McM
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:48:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Laukart didn't make those nice laminated buttstocks himself-

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:59:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I sold the underfolders on both of my PMKMS kits ad bought Laukart's matching wood buttstocks to go them.

How much did you sell them for?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:28:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can have an underfolder but you have to register it as a pistol, same thing with AKS74's, amd65's and UZI's i'm sure theres others as well.  McM

Actually according to the AG's written opinion if the AOL is under 26" it is an SBR here in MI.  A no-no.   I think the opinion was written by an AG who wanted to make an anti gun stance.  The Michigan law is a direct copy of the Federal statute.  If you read it carefully  it seems to say as long as the rilfe was manufactured with less than an AOL of 26" it is OK, just like federal law.  If you modify one to under 26" then it is an SBR.

I would like to challenge or apppeal that opinion just not sure how to go about it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:32:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anything is possible,I have'nt seen any Polish PMKM [full stock] kits imported other than the type III kits that came in a few years ago.I am saying,you can build one from a PMKMS kit replacing the folding stock trunnion with an AKM rear trunnion from another East European Country and end up with an authentic Polish variation.I've heard of several cases where Eastern Bloc Countries exchanged certain parts such as trunnions.The part that I would be most concerned with would be the reciever.My ideal choices,since there has'nt been any stamped Polish recievers imported,would be
FEG,Hungarian
Egyptian Maadi
Romanian SAR 1
If I could'nt find any of these imported recievers I would research the US made ones and go from there.

can you point me toward sources for those receivers?  I would most likely be buying an Ohio Ordnance Receiver to build on.  

Laukart is sold out of the nice stock kits for $90 it seems to be.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Joseph,sadly the few FEG reciever I've seen,sold out a couple years ago.The only way to get a Maadi or SAR 1 reciever would be to buy the whole gun then rob the reciever for your project.Check the EE for a good deal on a beater AK to use as a donor.You can come out alot cheaper using a US reciever.Do some checking,I have'nt seen some of the more recent US [rec] options but I'm not impressed with OOW.

Also keep an eye on the EE for Polish stock sets,they pop up from time to time.

Something I forgot about:If you use an existing imported reciever from a donor gun,you will have to use the original front trunnion,thats where the serial # is.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Looks like I'll be putting my underfolder kit up for sale instead of getting it built as I will be returning to Michigan in 3 years to retire and it looks like the length would be under the 26", unless a muzzle device was silver soldered on that would bring the overall length over the 26" limit.

16.  Do rifles or shotguns with collapsible/folding stocks have to be registered in Michigan?

MCL 750.222   Yes, provided the rifle or shotgun is 30 inches or less in overall length with the stock collapsed/folded but at least 26 inches and the barrel length is at least 16 inches and 18 inches respectively.  Attorney General’s opinion #6280: if the firearm is less than 26 inches in overall length or the barrel is less than 16 or 18 inches respectively, the firearm is considered a short-barreled rifle or shotgun and is illegal to possess.  MCL 750.224d   There is an exception for short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles which the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has found to be a curio, relic, antique, museum piece, or collector’s item not likely to be used as a weapon.

The possessor must comply with Section 2 (License to Purchase) and Section 9 (Safety Inspection Certificate/registration) of Act 372.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#23]
No way man, don't do it.

You'll be able to trade that folder and trunnion for a full wood buttstock easy.  Make it up as a fixed-stock.

Go you Michiganders! My Great-Great-Grandfather was in the in Iron Brigade (24th Michigan).

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I haven't decided quite yet on how I would like to build my kits. I may silver solder a Hotbarrel  tantal brake on to get the lenght requirement.  I have read the opinions over 5 times from the AG, each time get more confused.  They did a good job writing them so the average guy can't get a clue.  The way I understand it ;  under 30" above 26", can be registered as a "pistol".  Need to get permit to purchase, saftey inspection and registration.  No go under 26".  Did consultation with several gun shops, all seemed to agree with my understanding.  Would like to note though, none of the shops had any of said types of weapons available for purchase.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top