Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 10:38:37 AM EDT
AKM sidefolder?

It seems like all the side folders I’m seeing are 74s and all the 7.62 folders are underfolders or have wire stocks.

I just had a thought run through my head yesterday… what about an AKM (7.62) sidefolder?

I’m kinda curious to hear your thoughts, didn’t know if anyone had one.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:42:25 AM EDT
[#1]
the only 7.62 uside folder that is not a wire stock is the polymer one from the AK1XX series.  they are out there, but pricey.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Whenever they show Osama on TV, he is always shooting that AKM with the traingular sidefolder, must of been a local build, too bad it doesn't explode in his hands.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Correction to the above post.  Bin Laden is typically seen with an AKS-74U with a 45 round magazine.  The #2 guy was recently shown with an AKS-74 with a GP launcher.  Both are PROBABLY captured/salvaged Soviet weapons from the Afghan war.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Correction to the above post.  Bin Laden is typically seen with an AKS-74U with a 45 round magazine.  The #2 guy was recently shown with an AKS-74 with a GP launcher.  Both are PROBABLY captured/salvaged Soviet weapons from the Afghan war.

Correction again. There is a video that is used in the news and it does show bin laden shooting an AKM with a side folder from an AKS74. From what I heard it was locally modified or produced, buit someone in this board built one and the picture is posted around here. I like it and thought about building me one of them too.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm thinking something like this, but instead of an underfolding stock, having it built with a triangular sidefolder. Reasons being, I like to shoot from the triangular sidefolder better than the underfolder and the triangular sidefolder seems to be more sturdy.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#6]
You mean like this?

You need to build your own to get one of these.....

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
buit someone in this board built one and the picture is posted around here. I like it and thought about building me one of them too.

This one?

Found the pic in the AK pic thread, this one was posted by kracken.

This is what I have in mind.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys!

terma-nator, that’s exactly what I’m talking about. I don’t think having it built would be a problem, assuming I can get the parts.

How do you like your AKM sidefolder (is there a different name for it?)?

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm happy with mine.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correction again. There is a video that is used in the news and it does show bin laden shooting an AKM with a side folder from an AKS74. From what I heard it was locally modified or produced, buit someone in this board built one and the picture is posted around here. I like it and thought about building me one of them too.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#14]
From Uzbekistan this year:

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thanks guys!

terma-nator, that’s exactly what I’m talking about. I don’t think having it built would be a problem, assuming I can get the parts.

How do you like your AKM sidefolder (is there a different name for it?)?

I like it a lot.
If you noticed, the rifle on the right is a $99.00 romy kit with an AKS-74 sidefolder.
The gun on the left is the rest of that AKS-74 kit, with a Yugo underfolder stock.
I threw on some Bulgarian HG's.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

graphics.boston.com/news/packages/underattack/images/binladen_16.jpg

I wonder if that is a Chinese rifle? Someone the other day had a picture of a Chinese rifle just like that. The picture was in reference to some possible imported back in the 80's.

Does not look chinese at all, perhaps a late pattern AKM with sidefolder modification

Here is one which was posted here earlier. Absolutely gorgeous!!!

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:01:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it.

My train of thought has been this:

I’m wanting a bit more compactness, but want to keep the barrel length pretty much standard, keep the velocity of the bullet up. One would naturally think of an underfolder, which I love, but don’t care to put my cheek down on one of the rails. In comes the idea of the sidefolder.

Well, there you have it. I’m liking the AKM with the slant brake just for compactness and the fact that then it will fit crossways in my safe.

Just like terma-nator, kracken and Beowulf have. The image in my head has black furniture though.

Now, where to the a couple mag pouches like in that beautiful pic posted by xcibes.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:19:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it.

Now, where to the a couple mag pouches like in that beautiful pic posted by xcibes.

I think the guy who owns that lives in the Czech Republic, that's why he can get a real Saiga with dimples and all. As to the poches you can find them HERE
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:14:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#21]
The Bin Laden AKM side folder is almost certainly a "Khyber Pass" home-grown AK build.

It's one of my all-time favorite Kalashnikovs. Sooner or later I'm going to have Krebs build me one on a Saiga.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The Bin Laden AKM side folder is almost certainly a "Khyber Pass" home-grown AK build.

It's one of my all-time favorite Kalashnikovs. Sooner or later I'm going to have Krebs build me one on a Saiga.

That was the initial thought, but they were also seen in Uzbekistan this past year. Not sure what the deal is on that.

From Uzbekistan in May-
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:56:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
ch139,

Please let me know who makes that AKMS?

Thanx.
Sammy

Editted to add politeness

Quoted:
I'm thinking something like this, but instead of an underfolding stock, having it built with a triangular sidefolder. Reasons being, I like to shoot from the triangular sidefolder better than the underfolder and the triangular sidefolder seems to be more sturdy.

img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JTR8541/AKs/1284f5fd.jpg

Chinese, no idea what grip and handguards though
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#24]
xcibes, that Saiga is the cat's ass! (except for that stupid BHO)
Damn, I want that receiver!

You know there are none of those in the US.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
ch139,

Please let me know who makes that AKMS?

Thanx.
Sammy

Editted to add politeness

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JTR8541/AKs/1284f5fd.jpg

That rifle actually belongs to kythri. it is a Chinese 56S-1.

Don’t know why, but that is an extremely accurate AK.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I've seen Iraqi forces using AK 47s with the triangle stock as well. Some folding type and some just a modified fixed wooded stock that is triangular.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:57:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was the initial thought, but they were also seen in Uzbekistan this past year. Not sure what the deal is on that.

From Uzbekistan in May-
us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/afp/20050521/capt.sge.rir06.210505162423.photo00.photo.default-384x283.jpg

Stottman, do you know of any factories down in South Central Asia that might have produced those AKM's for the Uzbeks?  Home grown production post USSR break-up?

Not that I know of.. We had a big discussion on the pics on an email list I belong to. Allot of experts on there.. In the end, not sure what we figured out.. They look Russian, have specific Russian parts.. The only guess was that perhaps they were the very last AKMSs made.. Some of the parts didnt jive with the 78-79 era though, but that could just be the crappy photos that everyone was trying to blow up to see.

I am currently researching Russian AKs for a book of some sort, and hope to find the answer someday.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top