Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 5:48:17 PM EDT
Are these anything more than toys? How effective could the average person be with one of these things? 50 yards? 25 yards?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#1]
All I know is I need one to keep my OA-96 pistol company.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly, I can hit clay pigeons at 100 yards probably 80%-90% of the time off a bench only using the magazine as a monopod.  Not too bad for an AMD-65.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#3]
While shooting can normally hit gallon jugs at 100 yds. But I normally stand and shoot the entire magazine just to strength myself because I get tired holding it in front of me. I think this throws off my shooting. (this is with my 7" barrel, the 11" inch barrel seems better)

If I hold it up for three shot (aiming with each shot) then sit it down my shooting is better.

Been shooting them and like them the more I shoot them.

Normally let people shot it at the range and most people can shoot all around a gallon jug at 100 yds.  

After this weekend probably have between 1000 - 1500 rds through the pistols and just can't get enough of them.

Is it more than a toy; I think so but it's a very effective with a little training.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I built one for a trunk gun, but was wondering the same thing...is it effective?

The short barrel is ideal for autos for obvious reasons, without the stock, you have to re-consider things beyond the spray and pray modes.

So, take a sling and run it under your strong side and over your weak side shoulder. Adjust it so that when you push out on the gun, it stops just right for you to get eyes on the sights. Use those uppper body muscles and stablize it. Tuck your arms in and find the right body geometry for you. I also run my forward hand back into the mag a little to help secure it all.

I can hit pretty well out to about 60 yards. I can aquire the target very fast, but the recoil (in 7.62...and DON'T go building the other caliber into pistolas please!!) is harsh enough to send the muzzle off target...so you just deal with slower second shots.

I think it's tactically viable with practice, and a very cheap way to put a non Class 3 short barrel rifle caliber in your truck that costs less than $300 or so...

As a pistol and if you have a CHL, it allows you to take a "short rifle" with you under your CHL rights....
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Great topic, every reply very interesting.

TheNorm:  what does CHL stand for?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#6]
It stands for Concealed Handgun License
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:53:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine is the cats meow..

If you use a single sling set up, off the rear trunion. You can fire it very acurately. I apply forward pressure to the pistol grip , while holding the handguard with my other hand and use the sling as a cheek piece. Almost like having a SBR without the trouble.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:41:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree with all the above, and have taken to putting the side-mount optics attachment to my pistol build, which allows you to be MUCH more effective at "snap shots" with a red dot optic like the Eotech or economical Kobra sight.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:14:16 AM EDT
[#9]
just waiting on a rec. then i'll be good to go
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:30:09 AM EDT
[#10]
7.62minigun2:
When you get a chance, do you think that you can have a pic taken of the firing mode you are describing?

I bought a pistol trunion with a swivel on the back so I can do something like this, but I just can't see it exactly in my minds eye. Is the sling just slung over shoulder like a man purse, or is it across your torso ?

Great thread keep those thoughts coming!

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:32:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Mine is the cats meow..

If you use a single sling set up, off the rear trunion. You can fire it very acurately. I apply forward pressure to the pistol grip , while holding the handguard with my other hand and use the sling as a cheek piece. Almost like having a SBR without the trouble.

+1
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:37:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks Dale, check my edit above.
Sling across torso, or just hanging off the shoulder?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:18:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thanks Dale, check my edit above.
Sling across torso, or just hanging off the shoulder?

I would have a difficult time taking a pic of this by myself  The sling is hung from the right shoulder only. Like a man purse. When brought up to eye level , forward pressure is applied to the pistol grip with the right hand. My left hand is used to further steady the pistol holding on the handguard. I can then place my eye in line with the sites while my cheek is on the sling. I hope this helps you some more. I got the idea from a magazine artical I read sometime back, and no I dont remember which magazine . One of the people in the artical was firing a MP-5 without a shoulder stock using the same method.  Also on my setup I am not using a pistol trunion with the quick release swivel. Befor I rivited the AMD-65 trunion into place I drilled and tapped a hole inside the stock socket for a rear AR-15 sling swivel off an A-2 stock, this sticks out the rear of the trunion for my sling attachment. When my sister in law returns my camera I will post a pic.

The norms' method is something I have not tried yet but I will do so next time out. Same method of firing, just different method of slinging it.  My method the sling will slip off the shoulder if not done properly.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks to both TheNorm and Minigun, I will try both methods when my build comes back.
I agree that getting used to the weight is a must. I do not have it yet, but I can imagine that baby aint gonna be light!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top