Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/31/2005 12:04:35 PM EDT
Title says it all. Is there any real differences in the these two types of mags? Feed lip geometry the same on both mags??

And what is the going price for Norinco vs polytech 30s??

Thanks,
Shawn
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#1]
norinco is the post ban name for polytech so they should work.

open mouth, insert foot
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#2]
.223 Norinco mags will NOT work in a .223 Polytech(unless modified) The going price for .223 Norinco mags is $25-30 for 30 rnd, $45+ for 40 rnd. Polytech .223 usually sell for $50-75. The Polytechs are easily distinguished by the reinforcing ribs which are pressed inward(like a Galil mag) The Norincos will have smaller reinforcing ribs pressed outward. Curiously, the Polytechs will lockup perfectly in a 7.62 gun, where the Norincos will not. Norinco obviously redesigned the mags for their .223 for a reason as they are much more reliable than the Polytechs.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
.223 Norinco mags will NOT work in a .223 Polytech(unless modified) The going price for .223 Norinco mags is $25-30 for 30 rnd, $45+ for 40 rnd. Polytech .223 usually sell for $50-75. The Polytechs are easily distinguished by the reinforcing ribs which are pressed inward(like a Galil mag) The Norincos will have smaller reinforcing ribs pressed outward. Curiously, the Polytechs will lockup perfectly in a 7.62 gun, where the Norincos will not. Norinco obviously redesigned the mags for their .223 for a reason as they are much more reliable than the Polytechs.  

Thanks bro. Is it just luck of the draw in reguards to reliability with Polytech 223 mags?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, I didn't wish to say anything.....since I had both prior to '89 :)
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:59:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Is it just luck of the draw in reguards to reliability with Polytech 223 mags?

Seems to be. In the .223 Polytech mags that I have, there are three different follower designs. I should have mentioned that all of them seem to work fairly well in semi, but, in a full auto gun, many seem to choke. A simple, although somewhat expensive, fix I have used is to replace the follower, spring and lower spring plate with the parts out of a .223 Bulgarian mag. This setup has given me 100% reliability even in full auto. I have also modified some Bulgarian .223 waffle mags to work in the .223 Polytech guns. I had to remove metal from the top and bottom of the front lug and remove some metal from the bottom and back of the rear lug. You just have to get a good file and "hand fit" them.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top