Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2005 9:28:46 AM EDT
 I,ve got a question for the experts here. I recently finished my Russian underfolder. The kit was a milled reciver dated 1952. When I built it I used a stamped Russian front trunnion dated 1970.
What I would like to know is what it the proper sling for a Russian AK from either the 1950's or 1970's?
Right now I have a green cotton sling with a metal "hook" type snap on the front.  I'm guessing I should also have a "slabside" mag. for it too.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#1]
The sling should be similar, but a khaki color, or black.  The mag you have is fine.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#3]
That AK looks great!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats a really nice looking AK
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#5]

you can use a 50's vintage SKS sling as i have.. the russian Ak slings do not have the bright finish
on the metal..

your kit must have been a type II as the mid 50's milled ak as i have were a type III and they were not dated..  
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:04:57 AM EDT
[#6]
What's the difference between type II and type III. By The way BAD ASS looking guns guys!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#7]
So the barrel is pressed in, in the russian milled kits that are out there? All you had to do was pin the barrel to a russian trunnion? Did you have any headspace issues? What work went into convertiong this to a stamped receiver gun?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So the barrel is pressed in, in the russian milled kits that are out there? All you had to do was pin the barrel to a russian trunnion? Did you have any headspace issues? What work went into convertiong this to a stamped receiver gun?

All the milled Russian kits should thread into the receiver.  Just have a smith turn the threads off the barrel and you can press it into a trunion or receiver.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info on  the sling guys. I still want to pick up some slab side mags though.
The barrel was threaded to the original receiver stub. All I did was remove the stub and turn down the threads on the barrel. I left .003" stock on it to get a good tight press fit. Guess I got lucky becouse I pressed the barrel all the way to the sholder that is on the threaded barrels and the headspace was perfect!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Great looking rifle, I'm glad I saw it as I'm going to be building a Russian underfolder in the near future myself.

I broke down and got the Firingline receiver, I'll need to get them both refinished to match.  Now, I'll have to get a slabside mag and sling.  I'm also having a devil of a time finding the old bayonets, like what you've got.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Tapco has the Type 1 east german bayos ,, they will mount on a type III russian .. they have a black handle ..
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 11:24:58 PM EDT
[#12]
TAPCO's website has no AK bayos listed anymore.  I may try to give them a call, but I think I'll wait until I get the rifle put together.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:09:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Northridge has them
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, I hope they have them in stock.  

www.northridgeinc.com
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top