User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2005 12:31:06 PM EDT
does anyone make a dust cover with galil type sites for the AK
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Ohio Rapid Fire made somethign similar with an HK drum on the top cover for a while.  I think they have stopped making them but you can call.

Krebs Custum Firearms makes one that uses an AR style windage and peep aperture.  It does require a slight mod to the bolt carrier for the top cover to fit IIRC.

And then you can always get a Galil top cover with the sight, which from what I understand should fit on an AK although I am not 100% sure the sights will line up properly.

Dawg

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#2]
cool, thanks for the info. i have seen the kreb rifles witht them but they dont offer them on thier web site, i may have to break down and call, thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I know they were working on a new model recently (Krebs) and it may not quite be finished.  Call them, they will let you know the details.

Dawg
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#4]
The Galil and AK sight planes are diffrent, Galil is higher. But I have seen some people weld Galil front sights on their AKs and replce the rear sights with Galil sights.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#5]
(cough)Vulcan(cough) makes a Galil style for the AK ...
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I contacted Vulcan and they do have a rear site that will work with the std Romanian front one, about $100 though, Ill have to think about that.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#7]
he may have been joking about Vulcan. If I'm correct Vulcan is a reincarnation of Hesse which equals POS. I'd be careful.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
he may have been joking about Vulcan. If I'm correct Vulcan is a reincarnation of Hesse which equals POS. I'd be careful.

ahhh thanks for the heads up! i will keep looking.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Actually I have a Vulcan topcover and sight assembly that I'm using on a current project(It came with the rifle, so don't give me crap, LOL). It lines up fine with the front sight, the only problem is that I had to get a Galil recoil assembly to keep the topcover from popping off while firing because the tang on the original AK recoil assembly was too short ...

I don't really endorse Vulcan as much as just saying they seem to be the only ones out there until Krebs finishes there redesign, which has been put on the back burner because of the unexpected demand for the KTR03S ...

To attach that Vulcan sight to the topcover, you just drill two holes in the cover and blind weld it in place. I removed the old rear sight and welded a piece over the open gap in the block and rounded it over. It looks cool but it's a lot of work to do it that way. There's other options like making a different kind of rear sight block similar to the Galil or Valmet but my resources are limited at the moment ...
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:41:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Vulcan offers the site and cover already assembled also, but I am going to keep looking. Got any pics of your handy work?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:00:45 AM EDT
[#11]
No pics yet, gotta bum my bro's camera. I still have to get an airbrush and Gun Kote to finish it. I cut off the rear tang and made an ACE style "cut the tang" receiver block, so now I have to get a piece of 6061 aluminum rod and rework the ACE stock to make it longer. I still have a couple of weeks until I can finish it(lack of toy funds since I broke my back a year and a half ago and I'm just now working again). I will be posting some pics when it's done. It looks cool but I think the "purist" will hate it, LOL  ...
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:32:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I am no purist, the more chopped and altered the better my CUR is about to get an FAL grip and a Galil front handguard and rear site!!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:57:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I had looked into these a couple months ago also.   I emailed Krebs and asked when they thought they would have some of theirs redy and they said they didn't know because all shop time was being used on the KTRs.  And being basically a tightwad anyway, I decided to try and make one from AR sight parts.  

I bought some smooth covers to experiment with.   3/4" square steel tubing works pretty good for a body and the AR aperture, A2 index screw,  flat spring and either knob or the numbered indexing plate for parts.   The hardest part is figuring a way to ratain the flat spring. I made a couple blocks and welded them in, but they could be screwed or soldered too.   I made a couple, 1st with A2 and the other with A1 aperture and drum parts,  The A1 is more streamlined, and I don't really screw with the windage once it was zeroed so the knob was just in the way.  
They work great, covers are very tight, no wandering zero.
More than one way to skin a AK.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:29:47 AM EDT
[#14]
ANY PLANS ON SELLING THOSE?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:41:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Probably not,  I had one for sale on a couple forums, and then on Gunbroker for a month, and it finally sold when I reduced it to where I only made back my cost in parts.  So I'm kind of burnt on making any to sell.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:56:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
does anyone make a dust cover with galil type sites for the AK

Check Galil Parts on Gunbroker, I picked up 2 Galil top covers with sights, Usually they go for $65 or so. If you need one shoot me an IM, I think I have an extra still packed in grease.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:03:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Do the Galil sites lign up with the AK front sites though? Vulcan said the one they make does, but I am unsure if an actual Galil one does.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not for sure but I think the actual Galil sight sits too high. Someone else may know more ...
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Do the Galil sites lign up with the AK front sites though? Vulcan said the one they make does, but I am unsure if an actual Galil one does.

I am not sure, I used a Galil gas block/Front sight on the project & It all lined up.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:22:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Well I better pass on it till I find out if it lines up, if I find out it does then I will IM you.
thanks!!!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top