Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2005 4:08:56 PM EDT
I was thinking about buying some high breakage parts for spares for my SAR-2 in case SHTF and there would be no way to get replacements.

I was thinking about getting a new bolt altogether and an extra front sight.

What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was thinking about buying some high breakage parts for spares for my SAR-2 in case SHTF and there would be no way to get replacements.

I was thinking about getting a new bolt altogether and an extra front sight.

What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Nothing.  It's an Ak.   Spend the money on ammo.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
at worst I would have a pair of pivot pins, a firing pin, a new front sight post, an extractor and a set of springs.

a common misconception from people who live in the AR world and come to the AK side is that you can swap bolts between rifles with little to no ill effect like with an AR.  you cannot do that with an AK.  

most AKs wont break parts but for paranoia I'd stick with the list above as a part of my "better safe than sorry" mentality.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The only part on my SAR 2 that had any resemblance to a problem was the hammer.  The Century hammers are sometimes a little soft.  Mine was quite deformed, but the rifle still went bang everytime.  I eventually swapped out to a G2 set, and "problem" solved.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I gotta go with both TheRedHorseman and MiniZ on this one. I know for sure the SAR hammers are soft and I keep extra firing pins, extractors and springs in my "SHTF gear" even though I have never needed them for my Maadi ...
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 2:51:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Heck its a ak, the best spare parts for them, is............................................................

another ak, then another (just in case something breaks on your spare one) and 1 more, (you can never be to careful)
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top