Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2004 5:45:39 PM EDT
The finish was coming off my bolt carrier, so to clean up it's appearance, and make it resemble the early rifles more, I polished it.  However, aside from lacking rust protection, it doesn't gleam like I want.

Now, I want the carrier to have some corrosion/rust protection and I want it to shine like the bumper on a '57 Chevy, so I am going to have it chromed.

Is there a place that does this "properly", or would any old Chromer work?  Is it expensive, and how would it affect the carrier?  Tell me about this procedure please.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT.  Come on, someone has to know.

This place is THE PLACE for AK knowledge.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Perfect Campy!

Thanks a million!

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone have pictures of this done?

I think the bolts look much better if they haven't been blued. Mine wasn't. Shiney may look cool...or bad.,
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:58:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I polished this one with a 1/4" die grinder and Scotch - Bright disks. Started with a red one and finished it with a worn out blue one. A light coating of oil will prevent it from rusting. Only took about 30 minutes.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:12:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's an alternative to the shiny silver look.
I removed all machine marks and buffed on a Baldor buffer to 500 grit then hot blued.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top