Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/27/2004 8:04:20 PM EDT
I would like a bolt carrier handle that protrudes upwards instead of to the side. I installed my ACE folding stock adaptor and I find it difficult to charge the weapon with the stock folded... I tend to slam my hand against the stock, unless I move the stock out of the way. The bolt clears the stock when firing, it's just my big hands get in the way. Can I get one that would work on my SAR-1?

Here is a pic of what I have:

and here is a Galil pic that Lumpy's posted showing the type of handle that I am looking for:

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Hesse/Vulcan arms sells a carrier with a galil copy handle, not sure on the price.  Check www.vulcanarms.com

As with anything Hesse/Vulcan, buyer beware, I would think it would be hard to screw up a AK bolt carrier, but if anyone can it's them...

You could always just get someone local to bend up the regular charging handle a bit (or do it yourself).  The folding stock Romanian AK74s I know have an upturned handle, might be all you want/need.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Good grief, $126?  Proud my ass, they're smoking crack...  

I'd be looking alot closer at just upturning the regular handle a bit right about now if it were me...
See here:
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:08:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hesse/Vulcan arms sells a carrier with a galil copy handle, not sure on the price.  Check www.vulcanarms.com

www.vulcanarms.com/AV47-carrier-LR.JPG

As with anything Hesse/Vulcan, buyer beware, I would think it would be hard to screw up a AK bolt carrier, but if anyone can it's them...

You could always just get someone local to bend up the regular charging handle a bit (or do it yourself).  The folding stock Romanian AK74s I know have an upturned handle, might be all you want/need.  

Wow! thanks for the info... if it wasn't Vulcan, I would consider it.

I'll try bending the handle portion upward, but, there isn't much material to work with... I may have to try attaching somekind of extention.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:12:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.vulcanarms.com/AV47-carrier-LR.JPG

Wow! thanks for the info... if it wasn't Vulcan, I would consider it.

I'll try bending the handle portion upward, but, there isn't much material to work with... I may have to try attaching somekind of extention.

Thanks all.

If rag heads living in mud huts can build AK's from scrap metal, I think you would be ok buying a bolt carrier from Vulcan.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Botach has them for $79. I've actually had really good luck ordering Galil parts from them.

www.botac.com/imigalbolgas.html
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought you could fold the ace either left or right...any reason you're going with a right side fold?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#8]

I thought you could fold the ace either left or right...any reason you're going with a right side fold?

I'm guessing it is because he has a scope/mount on the left side.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Botach has them for $79. I've actually had really good luck ordering Galil parts from them.

Those are for Galils and probably won't fit an AK. I've seen pictures of guerillas in Sierra Leone with empty casings pushed on the charging handle which makes it longer. It's crude but works.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'm guessing it is because he has a scope/mount on the left side.

I have one on my Sar1,
It will fold to the left it's just next to impossible to get it to fold.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I asked an AK guru once why the stocks folded right and got in the way of the charging handle and the selector.  he then pointed out that when a right hander has the weapon slung  (such as inside a vehcile, etc.) it is a lot easier to unfold the stock.  If it folds left you are unfolding it into your gut.

Of course this does not really mean as much when you are U.S. civvie at the range, and maybe you alreday knew this.  I assume right folding was the choice as it is the "traditional" way.

[edited for stupidity]  Or it could be he has a scope rail on the left side like someone said.  Gotta look at the damn pic next time before trying to act so smart!

Pardon my atrocious spelling- i am typing on a keyboard on the floor- no furniture right now.

Dawg
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Tantal's web site has some pictures of a nice russian polymer side folder that folds left.   Wonder what the ak guru thinks of that???

Scope rail shouldn't be a problem - the mount is rather sturdy. I'd rather have easy access to the safety and charging handle to make firing easier than worry about some theoretical car dismount that will likely never ever happen.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes. The ACE folder adaptor can be mounted to fold the stock either left or right. And, it is supposed be able to fold left, even witht the side optic mount. However, my mount is a few milimeters to big and blocks stock from locking into place. I would prefer to mount it on the right... it's more comfortable and easier to unfold.

Here is what I am going to try:
(1) going try to bend the handle upward (without breaking it!)
(2) attatching an extension to the handle... I like the cartrige case idea...might try adapting that into some kind of permanant solution
(3) sanding down the mount (change it so it folds left)
(4) getting rid of the optic mount and getting an ultimak instead.

Thanks for the tips guys.... I'll report back and let you know what works.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those are for Galils and probably won't fit an AK. I've seen pictures of guerillas in Sierra Leone with empty casings pushed on the charging handle which makes it longer. It's crude but works.

Are you sure those are for Galils???? The drop down bar underneith allows one to select "for all SAR models".
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I believe "SAR" is a model of Galil...  If it fit on SAR1s and such I would think they'd advertise it as fitting all stamped AKs...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I believe "SAR" is a model of Galil...  If it fit on SAR1s and such I would think they'd advertise it as fitting all stamped AKs...

No a SAR1 is a Romanian AKM
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Being the owner of a SAR1 AK I realize that, I think you misread me....  I believe the "SAR" (notice the lack of a number) they mentioned for the original Galil carrier/piston assembly fitting is a model of Galil and not referring to the romanian AKs...  Like the SAR labeled Galil pic coincidentally in the original post of this thread:
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:52:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Being the owner of a SAR1 AK I realize that, I think you misread me....  I believe the "SAR" (notice the lack of a number) they mentioned for the original Galil carrier/piston assembly fitting is a model of Galil and not referring to the romanian AKs...  Like the SAR labeled Galil pic coincidentally in the original post of this thread:
www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/small_arms/galil/galilsar_b.jpg

Answers that question... thanks!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:43:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I never thought that I would see Hesse and Botach both being recommended in the same thread!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:14:22 AM EDT
[#20]
The Galil bolt carrier will work if you change out the gas piston.

If you go with Botach make sure the item is in stock.  It seems most problems occur with them if you order out of stock items.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I never thought that I would see Hesse and Botach both being recommended in the same thread!

And don't forget Rguns for all your firearm needs!!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The Galil bolt carrier will work if you change out the gas piston.

If you go with Botach make sure the item is in stock.  It seems most problems occur with them if you order out of stock items.

Is that true? Will a SAR-1 or -2 bolt fit in it? That would be great.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:30:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Not sure about SAR2, but the SAR1 bolt should.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And don't forget Rguns for all your firearm needs!!!!

I almost puked when I saw the RGuns ad in Dillon's 'Blue Press'.  

I though that Dillon had more class than to associate with that fuckwad.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top