Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 10:57:39 PM EDT
To begin with this thing came from Hesse quite a few years back and was recalled (along with 3 others)through my friend who was the FFL I bought it from per ATF notification. Something about the reciever I think. When I got it back it literally shot apart in my hands within 20 rounds. The barrel and block it is attached to would turn about 45* in the receiver. When I sent it back they offered to install a milled receiver for an extra $20.00. Needless to say I jumped on it and the resulting rifle is quite nice and sturdy. The receiver has Bulgarian SLR 100 on it and the rest of the parts I believe are from the orignal rifle, whatever brand that was. So what do you think? Is it a BulgarianNorincoMak90SLR100HesseAK or what.

Steve E...........
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting...

My guess, and please keep in mind I don't know anything, is that they probably just swapped the gun that was a POS with a 922 compliant Bulgarian SLR.   Someone with more information on Hesse might have a more knowledgeable answer... I'm not certain if Hesse only  built guns or if they distributed them.  The one thing I do know is that I avoid Hesse products through recommendations by others. YMMV.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I-M-A-WMD,
They used the parts off the gun I sent back in as I marked most parts with minute punch marks, except for the internals. The internals were from my orignal rifle as they had my hone marks where I smoothed things up.
Bob,
I don't have the rifle with me right now as it is in storage at this time but as near as I can remember follows,
Front sight has the ears
The gas block is angled
The gas tube has holes
The receiver cover is smooth, not sure about a lip over the selector lever.

I hear that Hesse has changed it's name to Vulcan Arms now. They(Vulcan Arms) are marketing a couple of  nice looking 50 BMG rifles now. They are nice looking but if it is the same company you couldn't get me to shoot one. They may be top notch and first rate but if they are made by the former Hesse Company I'll pass.

Steve E.........
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#4]
It would be interesting if I ever had to list the country of origin. I guess they would go by the receiver.

Steve E...........
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#5]
If anyone knows what parts kits Hesse uses for there 7.62 aks then you would have your answer.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Well the receiver is Bulgarian and the parts might have been Chinese but I can't be sure on the parts.

Steve E................
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:20:01 AM EDT
[#7]
My $399 Hungarian SA85M I bought back in 1994 looks better all the time. Sometimes you get more than you paid for.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Yea, this has been one big cluster f#+k with this rifle but at least it's over now. All in all it shoots pretty good and looks good. If I had it ot do over again I would have bought one of the Hungarian AK's back in the early 90's. I think it was the MK85 or something like that, might have been the kind you have. They were nice looking but the wood was a little too blonde for me. But then again that is what stain is made for.

Steve E..........
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top