Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2004 6:39:42 AM EDT
Assuming the AWB sunsets, I am planning on buying or building a few AKs with underfolders.  I don't much of anything about AKS and I don't want to buy guns/parts that will not work with one another.  I also do not know which brand of AK to buy, which I know is a real source of debate and preference here on the boards.

Could I buy an SKS and just change out the stocks?

Do some types of AKs not accept underfolders?

Can I buy AK lowers to start with and then buy the uppers, similar to AR-15s?

Given the 1989 import ban, are there AKs that are made here in the US so that I won't have to buy expensive pre-89 guns/parts?  If so, who makes them in 5.56?

What parts of the AK must pass to me from an FFL?

What exactly is the difference between a SKS and an AK47 (semiauto of course)?

Can I buy a current production AK47 rather than a SKS?

Sorry for the laudry list of questions, but I am trying to get started with my AK knowledge and the tank is pretty empty for the time being.

Thanks ahead of time for the responses.

Spencer
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:56:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Whew. Who's gonna tackle this one?

WW, I suggest looking over the Builder's Forum. I don't check it out often but there should be some good tacked threads up top.

The SKS (Simonov) and AK47 (Kalishnikov) are two entirely different beasts. Both are semi-auto Commie guns that share the same 7.62x39 cartridge. Not a whole lot of entirely legal options for the SKS due to parts count, cheap plastic folders and cheesy hi-cap mags abound, legalities are questionable AWB sunset or not due to a lack of US complaince parts.

For building, the receiver is the only AK part that will be going through the FFL. Complete parts kits and US made compliance parts are shipped to your door. Pricey 5.56 kits at K-var.

Plenty of US made AK's as well as Romanian, Bulgarian, Egyptian, Chinese and Hungarian post-ban rifles that can be modified to a degree. Underfolders won't install directly on any of them (with the exception of the few MAK90's with underfolder receivers. Those too require a little extra work) Side- folders the way to go, bolt-ons from Europe, Ace Ltd. or Tapco.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:04:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Assuming the AWB sunsets, I am planning on buying or building a few AKs with underfolders.  I don't much of anything about AKS and I don't want to buy guns/parts that will not work with one another.  I also do not know which brand of AK to buy, which I know is a real source of debate and preference here on the boards.

Could I buy an SKS and just change out the stocks?

Do some types of AKs not accept underfolders?---YES

Can I buy AK lowers to start with and then buy the uppers, similar to AR-15s?---NO. It has a receiver that is one piece. The upper part is called a dust cover and the rifle works fine without it

Given the 1989 import ban, are there AKs that are made here in the US so that I won't have to buy expensive pre-89 guns/parts?  If so, who makes them in 5.56? Imports are still cheap, but there are US made. Like Global or Arsenal

What parts of the AK must pass to me from an FFL?

What exactly is the difference between a SKS and an AK47 (semiauto of course)?

Can I buy a current production AK47 rather than a SKS?---yes

Sorry for the laudry list of questions, but I am trying to get started with my AK knowledge and the tank is pretty empty for the time being.

Thanks ahead of time for the responses.

Spencer

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Where can I buy AK receivers with trunions for underfolders?  Would this restrict whether I had to go with 30 cal or 22?  I would prefer 223 over the 30 cal because I like the round a bit more, but my preference is really rather arbitrary.  If there is a distinct advantage in going with the 30 cal, I certainly would consider it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Not sure on the best places to pick up receivers but there are alot of underfolder kits available that come with the necessary trunnion. Advantages of .30 cal.? Cost, availabilty, magazine prices, ammo prices (not counting the Russian .223 with is comparable to most 7.62x39).

Edit: K-var is the only game in town for a 5.56 kit, $430 and they're designed for a milled receiver which is gonna set ya back another $400. Figure $20-30 per mag. depending if the sunset has any real impact on 5.56 mag availability.

Typical 7.62 and 5.45 kits run $100-$200 range. Stamped receivers are about $75 and mags average $10-15 each.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top