Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2004 3:15:16 AM EDT
Has anyone put a brake or muzzle device on the stepped down Maadi barrels?
What did you use, and how tough was it?
Lately I have been liking the slant brake look (again.) and have ben thinkig about having a threaded plug made up to fit the brake threads then bore the plug and silver solder it to the nub.
Who has already done something about this aberation, and how did it turn out?
Thanks.

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:11:02 AM EDT
[#1]
With the stepped down Maadi bbl you are limited in your options,I remember one of the guys threading the bbl to match an existing nut then turning the outside diameter of the nut down and threading it at the proper 14-1 LH.You can also put some set screws in a slant break but that does'nt look very good.Some people have just had the slant cut break welded on.
I recently sent a SAR 1 off to Troy at In Range to have a Hungarian AMD 63 bbl installed.FAC has new Romanian bbls in stock for  around 50.00,You'll have a little more in it but you'll have a nice clean look also.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:27:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, they (the stepped barrel conversions.) probably aren't worth the trouble, however the guns that I now have are probably it for the forseeable future. At  this point if one gets sold off it probably will not get replaced soon.
So for me it's a case of using them as is, sell them off, or to put some effort into them to make them as I want.

I am interested in modifying them, I have access to machine shop services and am trying to decide on the best alternatives.
Sleeving is a definite option, finding adapter bushings is even better.
So far the adapters that I have found are not threaded correctly for what I am seeing  with the stepped down barrel. I measure .478" dia. with my vernier so it would appear that I should either start with a bored hole near that size stepping up to a 14mm L.H. thread to attach a muzzle brake, or perhaps to tap threads onto that nub.
To be frank I am loath to cut away any additional metal off that nub.

Campy, Do you know of any suitable adapter to step up from that nub to the 14mm thread?
I would be happy if I could just get some 14mm. L.H. threaded stock and have it bored to fit.

Thanks to all those that have helped, it sure cuts down the search time when people step forward.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I've been doing the math too, and it's all ugly choices.
I may just buy a brake to see how much of that I can bore out, then sleeve the brake with a  suitable plug to fit the nub, and silver solder the entire mess together.
I have a feeling that this one is going to sit awhile. I'll most liely play with my other toys  between spring work, saving this for a winter project.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top