Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2004 5:00:58 PM EDT
A friend of mine sent me a large number of different sets of Iraqi shoulder boards along with some berets and other interesting stuff. Does anyone know where I might find an Iraqi rank ID chart besides downtown Bagdad? I searched a little on the web without much luck.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
here ya go.  

Not sure what they all equate to in US ranks.

www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iraq/insignia.htm
The Iraqi army uses a wide variety of uniforms, either indigenously produced or purchased before the 1990-91 Gulf War from countries including Pakistan, France, and Great Britain. Regular army troops are mostly issued olive green or light brown utilities, as well as several variants of olive green/light brown field jackets that offer only limited protection from the weather. Another commonly issued item to regular troops is the British-style olive green/light brown “woolly-pully” sweaters. A wide variety of field caps and winter pile caps are used.

Camouflage uniforms are abundant among Republican Guard troops, since many areas of Iraq have foliage. The Republican Guards use various patterns, from French four-color desert, to tropical, to European disruptive pattern material (DPM) — not so much for their camouflage effectiveness but for their quality. The Republican Guards also use several indigenously produced, predominantly green, woodlands camouflage patterns. Two dozen different types of camouflage uniforms have been identified, and they are not issued on a unit basis, as is often reported. Some units are equipped entirely in a specific pattern, but this is due to the availability of the uniforms at the time. It is also very common, even in Republican Guards units, to mix shirts, jackets, and trou-sers of different camouflage patterns, or olive green/light brown garments with camouflage.

Although Sadam Hussein's regime has devoted considerable attention to diverse forms of political symbolism, and invested major military units with names evocative of past glory, the Iraqi military is singularly and peculiarly deficient with respect to distinctive unit insignia.

Commissioned officers' rank insignia were identical for the army and for the air force except that shoulder boards were olive drab for the army and were blue for the air force. Naval officer rank insignia consisted of gold stripes worn on the lower sleeve. Army and air force enlisted personnel wore stripes on the sleeve to designate rank, while the top noncommissioned officer rank, sergeant major and chief master sergeant, respectively, consisted of a gold bar on top of the shoulders.

In the late 1980s, Iraqi uniforms consisted of service and field attire for both summer and winter and a dress uniform and mess jacket for officers. The winter service dress uniform, of olive drab wool, consisted of a single-breasted coat having patch pockets with flaps, a khaki shirt and tie, and trousers that were usually cuffless. The summer uniform was similar but was made of light tan material. The winter field uniform consisted of an olive drab shirt, wool trousers, and a waist-length jacket. The summer field uniform was identical in style but was made of lighter material. Both field uniforms included a web belt, a beret or helmet, and high-top shoes. In practice, the diversity of clothing actually worn by Iraqi soldiers made a mockery of the term "uniform" -- hundreds of variations were encountered among the troops captured at the end of Operation Desert Storm.

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, that's what I'm looking for (at least it's a start). He sent a number of different ones including some higher ranks. He senting some more stuff including camo uniforms. Hopefully some serious Iraqi militaria collector will set up a website so I can ID them all.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Naval and Air Forces.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 2:37:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Naval and Air Forces.

The Iraqi Air Force gave the Kurds in the North and the Shiite's in the South hell over the past ten years,and the Iraqi Navy [small as it is or was]did keep their port protected for many years.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:10:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:13:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:45:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
far out! i thought the iraqi military completely lacked organization and structure!!

Thats what I thought too,but my Son-in-law came home back in September and was telling me how tough the Republican Guard fought.He also said things would have been alot worse if the Iraqi's learned how to use their sights.Many times,they were under heavy fire that resulted in few casualties.He's in the 1st and 3rd and has already been given a return date.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top