Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2003 10:21:21 PM EDT
  I have a Maadi ARMs that I got about 10 years ago from a guy who said he bought it in the 80's.
  The barrel has the slanted FH and it has a plunger tube that you have to push in to get it threaded on all the way.   It has the Russian laminated wood stock and handguards and a plastic reddish brown plastic pistol grip.
  Is there a place where I can look up the S/N to see if it's a preban or not?
  I would sure appreciate any help I can get on this AKM.
Thanks alot!   The S/N AC0064XXX
JD
Edited to ad S/N.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm no Maadi expert, but I do believe all of the ARMs are of post-ban status, FWIW.

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:26:31 AM EDT
[#2]
We need to know who the importer is? That is the deciding factor JD.

Wes: Steyr Maadi's are also marked ARM.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:22:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:38:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:38:42 AM EDT
[#5]
if it has the barrel nut it is probably pre-ban...unless someone did a barrel change on it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:56:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#7]
  My Maadi has ACC INTRAC KNOX TN EGYPT on the right side of the receiver and it has an 85 in the rear sight block on the left side inside an odd shaped design.
  The barrel is threaded with a slant muzzle device and when you get close to the final threads, you have to push in on a metal rod or pin to lock the slanted muzzle brake in place.
  I was told at the time he bought it in the late 80's, but then again, he might have had the barrel changed out do you suppose?
  The bayo lug appears to have been made so you can't attach a bayonet to it and that's why I was curious if he swapped out the barrel to get the slant muzzle device, why wouldn't he have kept the bayo lug?   I can just barely get a bayo to attach, but it will come off easily with very little effort.
  Thanks for everyone's help!  I hope to get some more info on whether this is a pre or post ban.
Thanks a lot!
JD

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
We need to know who the importer is? That is the deciding factor JD.

Wes: Steyr Maadi's are also marked ARM.

Fistpoint, thanks for clearing that up!

JD, see Campy's post above regarding ACC Intrac imports (definitely post-ban). I doubt the bbl. has been swapped, the bayo lugs weren't all ground completely off when these were made into "sporting firearms" and threaded muzzles on some Maadi's and Norinco post-ban AK's are fairly common. Most originally had some sort of muzzle nut tack welded in place. (now for the bad news, on post-ban rifles, the threads are legal so long as they're permanently covered, meaning whatever kind of muzzle brake you prefer needs to be welded in place so you can't attach an "evil" flash hider)
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys!   I was thinking that if it was a postban that he must have swapped out a preban barrel in order for it to have the plunger stud for the slant muzzle brake to lock in.
  Do the postbans have the push in button or rod for the slant muzzle brake?  
  As far as the date of 85, it is really a bad etched number that is very hard to read even under a magnifying glass and bright light.
It sure looked like it was 85, but it's probably a 95.  
  So, if this is a postban, I need to have the brake welded on?   Do I have to change the furniture too?   It's the laminated wood with regular plastic pistol grip.
Thanks again!
JD

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#12]
  Ok, is there anyway I would know if my parts are U.S. parts or not, or should I just order the U.S. parts and be safe about it?  Is the gas piston marked with identifying marks?  
Also, who do you recommend for the parts, TAPCO?
Thanks...
JD

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all your help!   I think I read somewhere about a better US made trigger control group with a much better trigger.
I like this AKM a lot, but was curious about whether or not it was what I was told it was.
  I'll be ordering my parts ASAP!   I'll also have my gunsmith spotweld the slanted brake for me.
Thanks for everyone's help!
JD

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe someone already mentioned it, but you're gonna need to permanently attach the muzzle device.  

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top