Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2003 1:09:57 PM EDT
This might be a real dumb question, but I need to ask it anyway.
I've been eyeing a stainless steel bolt/carrier/piston assembly for my SAR-1 for some time. I think it would look pretty cool. Thing is, it's a full auto. set-up. Would this be legal?
Seems to me that it will not make the rifle FA and bottom line the rifle will still be one pull one shot. So it should be OK right?
I know I'll have to change the piston to the original US piston that came with the SAR-1.
Am I playing with fire or is this doable??
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes it would be legal...Are you sure it's stainless though...I did'nt know of any stainless carriers....Someone correct me if i'm wrong...Campy????
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Jeepcreep
What is the significance of the third pin hole.
Do I need the third pin hole for this FA bolt/carrier to function properly?
What is the small milling operation you refer to? Is that something I would need to get done or is that just part of the difference between the semi and FA bolt/carrier?
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes you do need the third hole for the full auto carrier to function properly.   Sorta, it doesnt do a thing without the auto sear in the gun, but look pretty.

The 3rd pin hole is where the auto sear goes, its a little below the support rivet.  It is considered a machine gun with just that hole in the recv.

The auto carrier will function no diffrent in a semi no matter what, but it is the ramped area on the carrier that trips the auto sear, which releases the hammer. So in a semi, it is functionally useless( How do they say it. "like tits on a warthog") I have some that have auto carriers and others that were nuetered to be semi only, really doesnt matter either way in a semi.

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:37:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't plan on drilling a third hole.
That's all I want is to make it look "pretty".

The bolt/carrier is advertised as "stainless steel Romanian military surplus". Are you sure there is no such thing? I thought I have seen some pictures of full auto AK47s with either stainless or chrome carriers.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#8]
they are not stainless. they are bare polished steel. the piston on it is chrome plated. oh and the ones that guy has on ebay are not romanian they are polish. it will work fine but you will have to replace the gas piston with a u.s. one or replace another part on your ak to make your 922 compliance.
                  later  jay

Quoted:
I don't plan on drilling a third hole.
That's all I want is to make it look "pretty".

The bolt/carrier is advertised as "stainless steel Romanian military surplus". Are you sure there is no such thing? I thought I have seen some pictures of full auto AK47s with either stainless or chrome carriers.

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#9]
The one on ebay is exactly the one I was looking at. Guess I'll just blow that off.
Probably just polish the one I have.
Don't want it to be high maintenance though. If I polish off the black finish, it will probably rust unless I polish it every so often right?
Great information guys, really appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#10]
If it were me, I wouldn't want a bolt for carrier in my AK thats just bare steel with NO kind of coating on it.

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:40:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 9:01:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I just found some great instructions on nothingbutguns on how to polish up the AK carrier. Think I'll give it a try. Should look awesome when finished.
Again, Thanks guys and have a happy bird day!!!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top