Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2003 8:02:35 PM EDT
surfing the web i ran into it for $20 and it looks pretty good. just wanted to hear from some first handers
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:04:18 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.powercustom.com/AKPages/images/akmagrelease2.gif

in case you havnt seen it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 7:00:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I have it and absolutely LOVE it.  It allows the trigger finger to initiate the mag change while the support hand fishes another mag out.  It is a simple design, yet tough.  Doesn't detract from the overall appearance too much.  Easy to install (if you have a drill & riveter).  Even if you don't have a riveter, just use a hammer and punch to deform the rivets.  I used a pop-riveter and then a hammer and punch to flatten and tighten the hold.

Just for comparison, without the mag release, the firing hand would be on the pistol grip supporting the weapon, and the non firing hand would have to initiate the catch on the mag and THEN go for a new mag.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:31:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I wanted to try one of these. I read the information on the RSA sight and emailed them with a question. They never answered me so I never ordered it.

Does it get hung up on things?
Do you ever scrape your fingers or hands on it?
Did you put yours on with rivets or screws? They say you can use screws, and I think they look nice, but they can't tell you which screws to use.

Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:35:55 AM EDT
[#4]
screws would be no prob finding. im thinking rivist may be the way to go though. i wish it wasnt ambidextrous.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Lancelot-  I will give it a go on answering your questions.

Hung up on things?  I don't mean to sound degrading, but, No, I haven't noticed as I try to keep things away from the trigger area.  I feel that the mag and pistol grip protect the area fairly well.  Due to the extended "Mag clip" or potrusion on the mag that engages the mag release catch, then an inadvertent mag drop is fairly easy to avoid.  There is a bit of travel that still must be done to release the mag.  My SAR 2 is broken down awaiting some work to be done to it, but, here are some pics:

Baseline photo

Extended mag depressed to point to release mag catch

Scrape fingers or hands?  The edges aren't sharp to me, so I would say NO.

Screws or Rivets?  I would go with rivets, as they are simple and once done (correctly) you can forget about 'em.

2002GTI-  It may be butchering a healthy animal, but if you want it without the other side, just dremel (or hack-saw) cut it off & smooth the edge.

I really like mine, as it is a simple yet functional modification.  IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks! I appreciate the response.

The reason I asked that was... I had an extended bolt release handle on my AR and it was always getting hung up on my web gear, and poked me in the back when I had it slung.

Link Posted: 11/4/2003 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Lancelot-  No problem, glad to be of assistance.  The extended mag release doesn't stick out farther than the scope-rail adapter hoo-dad on the non-ejection port side of the SAR-2, so it wouldn't dig into anything.  The firing port side, the extended mag release potrudes *maybe* 3mm or so.

I don't see it as really being that much of an inconvenience in the way it is situated.... Individual results may vary though.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I wanted to try one of these. I read the information on the RSA sight and emailed them with a question. They never answered me so I never ordered it.

Does it get hung up on things?
Do you ever scrape your fingers or hands on it?
Did you put yours on with rivets or screws? ...snip...

It can hang on stuff, depends on how you carry the weapon.
I never had any hand scrapes from it.

It was originally designed to be put on with pop-rivets

Here is a pic from my album showing that.

Here is a pic of the first three evalution units from a couple years ago, one of whch went to some guy in Ohio, CampyLou, no CampyVern, nope er um, well anyway he like AK's and tricycles or something.

full free details, plans and directions on how to make your own MAG-WING at ths link. www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?show_all=1&start=1&id=4291667841
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 3:32:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys. One will be in the mail to me shortly. I just got a second rifle today, so now I may need two.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top