Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2003 12:11:37 AM EDT
Got a Hungarian SA 85M this weekend at the Portland gun show. The weapon looks great and as I understand it the FEG receivers are supposed to be pretty good.

I do have a problem though. Took it out shooting this afternoon, I know it isn’t a match rifle, but I was kinda expecting to keep all the rounds in about an eight-inch group (the black) at 100 yards. My rounds were impacting about two and a half feet left and about a foot high. The elevation I can cure with adjusting the front sight, but how do I fix the windage, there is no adjustment.

Thanks, J

Link Posted: 9/8/2003 1:15:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Windage is adjustable on the front sight base.

You need a windage adjustment tool (available at your local gunshow) to move the sight left or right.

linx310.nothingbutguns.com/sightin.htm

KF
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 4:04:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 4:08:42 AM EDT
[#3]
You can use a socket and a C-clamp to adjust the windage if you don't have time to wait for the next Gun show.Good score on the Hungarian,I've been looking for one for about a year.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 4:27:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You can use a socket and a C-clamp to adjust the windage if you don't have time to wait for the next Gun show.Good score on the Hungarian,I've been looking for one for about a year.

Hope you don't mind if I jump in? I have and SAR-1 with the front sight assembly slightly canted to the left. Someone said I can use a brass hammer and a block of wood and the assembly would move if I tap it lightly. I guess I would have to put the barrel in a vise or something. Yikes! That makes me nervous.

Any thoughts by anyone would be appreciated...
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 4:51:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope you don't mind if I jump in? I have and SAR-1 with the front sight assembly slightly canted to the left. Someone said I can use a brass hammer and a block of wood and the assembly would move if I tap it lightly. I guess I would have to put the barrel in a vise or something. Yikes! That makes me nervous.

Any thoughts by anyone would be appreciated...

Strange, EVERY AK owner needs to add this Site to their favorites.
It has a ton of info. That link will take you right to the "How to straighten your front sight page"

JTR8541, congrats of the new toy!  
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 5:59:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Strangelove,if your front sight is canted you've got a bigger problem.You will have to knock out the two pins in the front sight base to move it to the proper alignment.Once the FSB is straight,you will have to re-drill the pin holes and replace the pins.Check out one of the threads about straightening front sights before jumping in and doing anything based on this brief description of the process.Its not a hard job,just get all of the info you can before starting.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Just curious is that a real SA-85m or is it a kit built on a SA-85M receiver?  The stock is not correct for a Pre-Ban SA-85M.  Looks similar to one of Arsenal USA's SSR-85 parts guns.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#8]
blfuller,

I don’t really know too much about these kinda weapons, but as I understand it the Hungarian FEG receivers/rifles are supposed to be pretty good. I picked this one up for $410. I figure it is just a tad more than an SAR 1 and looks much better, so what the heck.

The rifle does not have a bayonet lug or threads on the muzzle. It does have a little pin sticking out of the FSB above the barrel to lock the comp on. The wood is soft (pine? maybe) and the pistol grip appears to be bakelite not plastic. As for post-ban pre-ban I don’t know. You can see the SN in the pic, it is: SM 18xxx.

I wanted to get a good rifle that would be lighter than my SLR-100H and this is much lighter, now I just gotta get it to hit what I’m aiming at. I’d also like to change the wood out, find a cleaning rod for it and install and angle comp. I figure the comp will have to be welded on.

Best regards, J
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#9]
What are the import marks? I'm guessing it's converted SA85 postban.  The question is, is it legal?  Probably ought to check out the internals and see if the pistol grip is foreign made or not.

Also, does it take a cleaning rod under the barrel? It looks like it from the pic.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 11:17:20 PM EDT
[#10]
The import mark notes KBI Harrisburg, PA and the FCG is of single hook type.

J
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Also has a provision for a cleaning rod.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 11:29:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Dumb question, but isn't the deal that the cleaning rod slides through also the bayonet lug?

(Refer to picture of extrusion below gas tube assembly on barrel)
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 5:49:59 AM EDT
[#13]
JTR8541,
I was just curious if the person you purchased it from represented it as a genuine preban SA-85M and gouged you about $1300, as you paid $410 you did ok.  

FEG receivers with the KBI import markings are definately post ban, Kassnar is preban.  The stocks are probably Bulgarian and they are some type of hardwood and definately not pine.

This rifle has a different barrel or gas block and front sight so it may not have been pressed in properly aligned.  A good way to check if the front and rear sights are somewhat aligned is to turn the rifle upside down and sit the top of the blade of the rear sight on a flat surface.  Then touch the front sight ears to the same surface.  If both ears of the front sight  are not touching the same flat surface as the rear sight is, then the front sight is canted.

The other issue is as AJjer_Bullets mentions is it's legality.  This rifle should have US made parts in it.  I believe the way it sits it should probably have a US made hammer, trigger, sear, gas piston, pistol grip, magazine follower and mag base plate.  This needs to be verified.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top