Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2003 2:32:56 PM EDT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2190686269&category=4720

This would be neat to have, but this gentelman was selling a DUG M-1 Garand awhile back, I wanted it real bad...But I was told by a few folks that even if it was completly in-operable do to corroded condition, The serial number would most likelly be retrivable and that would be a big time no-no having is shipped form Bastogne!!!

ANy thoughts??????
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#2]
ATF's view may differ, but it looks like there is no way this could me to fire.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2190686269&category=4720

The serial number would most likelly be retrivable and that would be a big time no-no having is shipped form Bastogne!!!

ANy thoughts??????

Who cares?
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Wonder how many are hiding out in German basements and attics fully functional?

God Id love to have one
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#5]
What kind of ammo would that thing take? And is it easy to find in the USA?
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#6]
7.62x33 I believe.

Not available that Im aware of.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#7]
7.92x33. I dont think there are any commercially loaded, at least not here in the states. Other than a few NFA guns, there is no market for it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#8]
It's out there.

Some original WW2 German.

Some East German post-war manufacture.

Some later neck-downed semi-commercial.

Expect to pay $1/round.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Who cares if that thing works? It's an amazing peice of rusted metal from a WW2 historical standpoint.  

My heart would almost pop if I was roaming around my backyard with a metal detecter and unearthed something like that.  

Some of the stuff they are still finding out there... it's really overwhelming for me to think of these things hidden out there untouched since they were lost or abandoned over fifty years ago in the greatest struggle against evil the world has ever known.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 2:15:54 AM EDT
[#11]
We should put together an AR15.com metal detector trip to some
wwII battle fields
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 2:41:33 AM EDT
[#12]
ARGH!!!! All I found was 1/2 a german paratroop helmet, shrapnell and US brass...........
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 3:54:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 4:50:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey I'll volunteer my EOD services for the inevitable UXO that is found!  Silly folks try and sell that stuff too!

Don't dig too "Hard"!  But if you do, then I guess the EMT skills will come in handy!

Weird how not alot of media over in Europe picks up on the folks who get injured finding UXO...

There is A-L-O-T of FRAG over there that makes a Metal Detector SING all the damn time!  Even if you attenuate out the small/deep stuff then you are ringing off on bigger/surface FRAG.  Frustrating.

Some people call it a battleground, I think it's a graveyard with no markers...

I would rather volunteer for the St. Petersburg trip though!  "Vodka Taster"  MMmmm, Russian Vodka...

While in Hungary and Bulgaria I was amazed at all the WWII German stuff for sale.  Badges and uniform stuff mostly.  So I would say it's a safe bet that there is a bunch of "stuff" in St. Petersburg as well.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#16]
This will make you cry...  A good friend of mine has family in Monte Cassino, Italy (scene of some fairly heavy fighting in WW2).  About 5 years back, his uncle was putting in a swimming pool in back of his villa.  He brought in a front end loader, and the loader ended up digging up a buried German pillbox.  In the pillbox were CRATES of grenades, machine guns, ammunition, helmets, etc...  Unfortunately, his uncle (who was a fairly older guy) panicked & called in the local Carabinieri who took the stuff away for disposal.  They took some photos of the stuff before they disposed of it, and it's a crying shame to see the stuff sitting in crates waiting to meet its end...
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Shee-It, give the BAT-men about 5 pounds of JB Weld and 10 hours in a machine shop, and I bet they could make it run.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 9:34:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#19]
On vacation, I once got to walk arround a forrest in Poland that had seen some decent fighting. If you looked a little on the ground you could find rusted out cartridges every once in a while. Shrapnel and pieces of mortars were also easy to find. Not really looking, I found a heavily rusted German e-tool as well.

Guy I was with bragged about finding sealed cases of artilery shells and mortars which he had to call EOD people for. He also said he found oiled and sealed firearms. Anybody can find this shit, I brought back a rusted german bayonet from there (family member threw it away later). The magnitude of the battles fought means that there is shit there to be found for 100s of years. That guy is smart for putting it on ebay.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

just a few good ol' u.s. dollars and a ticket to st. petersburg! i'm sure i could have an armload of german souvenirs in great working condition in a matter of a few hours.

I have a question...
How would a person get that stuff back to the USA?
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Getting stuff back from another country?  As long as it isn't hazardous in nature or restricted there shouldn't be ANY problem hand carrying it back.  I would think.

I have no clue about firearms, I suppose you would have to be a legitimate firearms importer to receive firearms, but PARTS from firearms...I dunno...

I haven't been overseas as a civilian, but as military, there wasn't a problem for me to bring back stuff... No searching of bags & customs, they only gave me "GUFF" for having handcuffs!  Weird!
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a friend over in Poland who sells stuff on Ebay all the time.  The Polish army is down sizing, so he and a friend buy everything they can off the closing units (thats where I got those laminate Polish stocks I was selling a while back).  They also buy old military buildings.  He told me that the Polish have saved everything since WWII.  Now they are selling it off if they can, or otherwise getting rid of it any way they can.  This usually means getting a backhoe, digging a big hole on the gov. property, and burying it.  He told me he found a bunch of old empty German land mines buryied under the entry way to a building he bought!

Also, in the news a while back, the Germans found some old Stazi papers talking about how a hugh airport in Germany was built over a hugh bunker complex.  This complex was FILLED with ordinance, explosives, and even WWII German planes filled with fuel and with live bombs still attached, ready to go!  The papers said the airport had to finished very fast and that they couldn't get ride of the ordinace fast enough so they built right over it.  Now they are going to see if its true and if so, what to do about it because the airport is one of the heavyest used in Germany.  They also mentioned how the Nazies built thousands of bunkers all over Berlin and people are finding them all the time.  Makes me want to go to Germany and start digging!

Brick
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have a question...
How would a person get that stuff back to the USA?

Somehow get it to Mexico, then hire an illegal to carry it across....it's not like the .gov is actually trying to stop them........
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top