Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2003 4:07:04 PM EDT
Well what do you think. The benefits of nato milspec 5.56x45 ammo with the rugged reliablity of the AK platform. Sure accuracy will be down a bit but for general combat/SHTF scenario what do you guys think.
Thanks
GaryM
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you need to add Why? Just get an AK-74!  to the options.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldnt worry about nato spec ammo, When the SHTF you can pick up nato spec rifles off the ground, you know the ones  beside the blue helmets.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Why worry about accuracy? The ranges you would be engaging anything at would be short enough that it wouldn't make a difference. Out side that range, the shorter barrel of the AK would reduce the effectiveness of the round due to lower velocity.

The non-standard/expensive mag issue is a turn off for me. But hey, what ever floats your boat.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I think 5.45 is better suited to the AK platform then 5.56, if only because the way it is designed is more in keeping with the reliabiliy of the AK itself (i.e. more tapered casing, lower pressure, etc.)  

Decent 5.45 can also be hoarded by the "SHTF" concerned for much less then comparably decent 5.56.  

Also, on a note brought up by Ober, the 5.45 suffers less ballistics wise from the 16" barrel then the volocity-hungry 5.56.  

Of course I'm not a big believer in a SHTF scenario.  While it could happen, buying a rifle specifically for it is a bit like buying a large safe to hold your future lottery winnings, IMO.  I wouldn't dare say that on the AR side though
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 4:46:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I happen to be a fan of .223 AK's, having owned several over the years. From what experience I have I can tell you that reliable, UNALTERED mags are limited to only 2 guns that I know of: Norinco and SAR3's. The Norincos use their own 30 rd. mags, but they ain't cheap ($30-$40 each). The SAR3's are best with the East German Weigars, which are priced fairly (@ $20 each). All the other .223 AK's that I know of use mags that have been altered, usually from 5.45 Bakelite mags. This invariably leads to feeding problems. The only exception to this is an InRange Saiga conversion that I sent the mags with the rifle to ensure reliability. But as far as "out of the box" reliable gun/magazine combos, it's Norinco and SAR3 with the above mentioned mags MADE for them.    
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#7]
If I had an ideal gun, I would not have 13 calibers on hand LOL! If you already have an AR, then yes. I think the tapered 5.45 makes more sense for the lighter-cycling AR than the 5.56 in the AK.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:41:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget the Valmet M-76...maybe the best!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top