Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/12/2003 11:41:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Man, we fix at least one of those Century guns a week! BE SURE TO CHECK THE HEADSPACE!!! 90% of them are way too big. If you don't know how to check it, let me know and I'll post direction.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Campy,

Dont base your opinion of HK on the stuff Century puts out
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought 20 of the aluminium HK mags from Old Gun Supply www.oldgunsupply.com for $3 each, and they were all like new. Haven't had a single problem with them in three different guns.

Link Posted: 7/12/2003 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I warned you.  I go to look at the greasegun clone and see what happens.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry to hear that you hate your G3.  I hate my CETME(shoot 8" to the left at 50yds and there is no REAL fix) but I just wanted a HK looking rifle in my collection anyway, and I can comp the 8"when shooting at cans.

The rear sling is attached by sliding the end of the sling through the hole in the stock and using a metal piece that holds on to the end of the sling so the sling can't slide back out.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Please don't insult anyone by equating Century with HK. HK is one of the finest firearms built in the world. You would know and appreciate that if you had in fact purchased one. Instead you bought the cheapest thing you could find and now can't figure out why it doesn't work very well. You got what you paid for, nothing more. Don't drag the good name of HK through the mud because of your terrible decisions.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh yeah, check the back of the bolt and look for any grind marks. They ground some of them like that to make it appear that it is headspaced correctly. If it is ground, sharp edges are the give away, it could still be too tight. Saw taht on a couple of them.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Bob waits until after we meet there to say he is roller lock shopping, knowing I own a CETME and G3. No feeler gauges on hand of course, but he has to buy one now instead of waiting for next months show (Must the kind of go-getter initiative that makes him a Staff Member).

I'll have a real HK stock set and sling for you at the plate shoot. Or wait till you find out the Century set has no heat sheilding in addition to no sling point in back...

CETME steel mags work on these too, since Century builds each on the same receiver.

Bishop:is the rear sight off, the front triple frame canted, or do you see an impact spot inside a crooked Century muzzle break?

I really like my Cetme, and the recent G3 just needs a rear sight relocation about 1/8" (can you hear the Dremel?).

Campy needs me for gun help? Another sign of the impending apocalypse.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Tapco is selling G-3 alluminum mags for less than 3 dollars apiece right now.  I just received an order of 8 Hungarian 20 round "tanker" mags from them.  Included with that shipment was two H&K G3 alluminum mags. I don't have a G3, and don't have current plans to buy one, but the mags were so cheap that I decided to pick a few up.

They are in really nice condition. I'm extremely impressed with them, given the low cost.  The Hungarian mags aren't bad either(some rust on a few of them, but other ones look brand new).
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Was at a pathetic excuse for a gunshop with Helldog40 this afternoon... used G3 para mags $25 each and used FN metric mags, $40.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a gorgeous Cetme and a fucking uglt L1A1... the Cetme sits in the safe, the L1A1 gets all the range time.  Well until my new ORF FAL carbone comes in within the next couple weeks.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I go out for the evening and already, there's more than a dozen replies to Campy's gunshow adventures.  Go figure!  I was definitely a gun-buying day - we shouldn't leave out our "can't-hold-my-liquor" friend who also picked up a CETME - so I guess it was two HK pattern guns to one AR and one AK.

So far, my little "groundhog gun" is doing pretty well, cleaned up the barrel and gave everything a once over - now all I have to do is to find some optics and find the proper height rings:

As for my CETME, well, I'm definitely experiencing some minor teething problems with it at the moment:

All in all, a great day for a show - though we did have to make sure to maintain proper distance when walking behind Campy as not to diminish that aura surrounding him.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, if anything the MP5 is good right? I was under the impression H&K stuff was basically some of the best in the world.  The G3 is a battle proven design, what is so bad about it Campy?  (the H&K, not the CAI).  
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 1:18:57 AM EDT
[#19]
The Germans have 3 Airborne BNs if I remember correctly. Two is the former west, and the other is a carry over from the east. I jumped with one a few weeks ago. They using the G-36 now.

Judging the G-3 based on a CAI built gun is like judging the AK off a Hesse or Krinks based gun. Lets see, a factory built by Germans  or a rifle built using old parts kits, a reverse engineered receiver not even made the same way, built by people making $6 an hour.

I have a preban HK91, and it runs great. I boought mine for $1400 in 97, and you dont have to make a runner out of it. It already runs great. Have also shot of military G3s without problems.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:44:59 AM EDT
[#20]
PPS-$ 4 for steel real HK 91 mags? Hmmm maybe for the alyouminimum but steel is usually more than that.

Aim- Not yesterday, there was a box full of lightly used steel mags for $7. If I did not already have a stack of NIW steels and sacks of alum...

Eng- Gun buying day? $250 for a gorgeous 1900 Oberndorf M96, and $149 for a spanking new Makarov.

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:22:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:53:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I bought my HK91 in '87 and it runs flawlessly. I just don't trust the CETME's and Century clones............too many problems for too many people.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I ran my Cetme for the first time yesterday. Ran great but the front sight is a little problematic. I have it close but it is rotated all the way left and seems to be off by a couple of inches to the left at 100m.
Other than that it is in excellent condition internals, bore, etc and ran great. I'll tinker with the site a little today and see if I can get it on. Not sure about buying another but my SAR-1 is a great little rifle. The Cetme? If I get the front sight on the money I'll consider it one of my best buys. Usually go more upscale but it called my name one day in the gunstore. I was picking up my FNC and the guy who owned the gunstore needed a little business anyhow.

Also shot my SAR-48 for the first time yesterday. Had some problems trying to get the gas setting set up until I realized that gas plug was rotated in the wrong position. What a PITA. Gotta wonder if the guy who had it previously put it back together incorrectly and decided to sell it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#24]
I shot one of the problem-pleagued 1st run CETMEs a while ago and had no issues with it. The owner said he had to scrape the black paint out of the back of the reciever, but after that it "ran like a freight train" which is exactly what the bolt sounded like going back and fourth next to my ear.

I'm currently looking to trade my SAR2 setup for a good similar CETME package.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Well, can't get the front sight on the money but I get good groups and seems very reliable.
I'll probably mount a cheap red dot sight on it eventually.

FAL ran great also but I'll tell ya, the more I shoot the more I appreciate my AR's. They ARE the best:

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm just waiting for Waldo to find this thread ....
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#28]
And yet my CETME cocks smoothly, and you/Waldo/Platehsooter were there when I was whacking Waldo's steel plate at 200+ yds with untouched stock irons on my first mag. So they can be good, but my G3 is just as bad right as yours is left, grrr...

On a brighter note, my Swede put 2 1" apart on the top of the paper for my first 5, and after adjusting the sight picture lower I put shots 5-10 in under 2" with 4 1 1/4" and 3 in 3/4". Just aiming at an 8" bull at 100yds. YUM!

Oh, the AK with Kobra still rocks for plate shoots :)
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#29]
This is your penalty for committing Heresy.  Kalashnikov himself probably thought this one up.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey all...

Since we're on the topic of the G3:

I've found a couple places that sell parts kits, but can anyone point me to a forum-style site much like this one for the G3 stuff?

How about links to parts kit resellers, receiver resellers, etc?

I've seen a couple of G3SG1's built out of G3's, with PSG-1 grips, etc, on them, and am thinking that I'm wanting one of those in my collection next.  Yeah, I'm sure that someday I'll get an AR something, but these G3's are looking REAL nice.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Hey all...

Since we're on the topic of the G3:

I've found a couple places that sell parts kits, but can anyone point me to a forum-style site much like this one for the G3 stuff?

How about links to parts kit resellers, receiver resellers, etc?

I've seen a couple of G3SG1's built out of G3's, with PSG-1 grips, etc, on them, and am thinking that I'm wanting one of those in my collection next.  Yeah, I'm sure that someday I'll get an AR something, but these G3's are looking REAL nice.

www.gunboards.com

www.cetmerifles.com
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
....that fix for the windage....ya ain't gonna belive this. Turn down the head of the screw holding on the rear drum! I have heard of more than 1 person having to do this...something about the casting was off. I chucked up the screw(double nutted), and "milled" it down using a counter rotation from my dremel tool. Believe it or not it worked great!

rotdorn!
Sounds good. Now explain to us weekend gunsmith apprentices so we can understand. Pics would be nice if you can. thanks.

edited to add: looked at my rear sight and I don't see a screw per se. No slot in it anyway.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
the only time that sight would be useful is if a screaming hoard of godless red chinese were over-running my livingroom.

How would they get that close???
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#35]
or do what i did, send the POS back to century twice until they send you a "decent" one.

1st was like 3 feet left @ 100 yards.
2nd one was 2 feet left, didnt cycle, and wouldnt hold a mag in

3rd one, well after a little dremil touch up around the mag catch hole in the reciever she runs like a champ and is dead nut @ 100 yards. sure is an accurate sucker, heavy and LOUD though.

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
or do what i did, send the POS back to century twice until they send you a "decent" one.

1st was like 3 feet left @ 100 yards.
2nd one was 2 feet left, didnt cycle, and wouldnt hold a mag in

3rd one, well after a little dremil touch up around the mag catch hole in the reciever she runs like a champ and is dead nut @ 100 yards. sure is an accurate sucker, heavy and LOUD though.

Mine runs great and I expected worse from what I hear. Most seem to shoot left and the post above may account for that. I do like my rifle and if I can fix the problem I will do it. I fully expected to have a couple of fixes. If this is it and I can fix it I will be happy. Otherwise it runs great and groups well.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
the only time that sight would be useful is if a screaming hoard of godless red chinese were over-running my livingroom.

I'm in.  Anybody else game?
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:20:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:45:37 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I don't have a G3, and don't have current plans to buy one, but the mags were so cheap that I decided to pick a few up.

It's the sickness, man, the sickness!
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#40]
The clones never run right.............pay the money for a real HK...........I know, it hurts.............I should have would have could have back in the 80's........no consolasion for you you'ns. MHO.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#41]
BTW, Bob's my age.........firckin' old man. (see ya at da creek bud!!)
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Thank you for the links!  I realize the CETME's are licensed copies of the G3, but is there another site that does specialize in specifically the HK G3, or am I being way too picky/finicky?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 2:55:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Bob,

Does it have that funky muzzel brake on it? If so, is it on straight? Talked to Todd and he brought up about one we worked on that was actually drilled to .312". A little tight. We opened up a bit and it worked fine. Just a thought.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 3:10:09 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Thank you for the links!  I realize the CETME's are licensed copies of the G3, but is there another site that does specialize in specifically the HK G3, or am I being way too picky/finicky?

HKpro.com

But the CETME was first, then came the G3. Ger engineer went to Spain after WW2, developed gun, later came back to Ger, tweaked it a bit, mainly different angles to the roller locking pieces for stronger extraction (unlocks with more pressure still in the bbl=more violent cycling).
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 3:21:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 4:15:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 5:21:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Just think guys....1987 price of an HK91 with one 20 mag was $550 retail with a $50 rebate. My wife kabashed me buying the HK93 next because "we can't afford it honey". Oh well, never lessen to your wife hehehe.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:00:33 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
wanna read 9 pages about how bad a $750-900 version of the g3/91 is?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=9&t=168519

i'm glad i got the cheapy version, and not the overpriced ptr-91.

Was thinking about making this my next project/build after I get my AK-74's done...

Should be better than a pre-built, if it's done right.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top