Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2003 1:19:16 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I've been shooting Wolf 7.62x39 for the last couple years and it's time to replenish my stock...ie I need to get several cases.

I've been reading a lot about different kinds of 7.62x39 ammo...Many say that the newer Wolf ammo has a bi-metal jacketed bullet (mix of steel and copper) and it will increase barrel wear.....Some say that Burnaul is the best, some say what ever is cheapest, others say all Russian ammo is the same, etc, etc, etc.  So many to choose from...Cheata, Silver Bear, Brown Bear, Wolf, Burnaul, and the list goes on.

BTW this will be for my VEPR and SA-M7s, if it was just a beater AK I wouldn't care too much.

What would you recommend and where should I get it from?  Looking for the best quality ammo (and I'm not talking about spending $300 a case for Winchester or anything along that line).  Just looking for the best bang for the buck.

Any info would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#1]
First check out this thread to see how Wolf and other brands stacked up in our tests.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=54&t=56018

The bi-metal in Wolf ammo is also in most other types of ammo as well.  It is nothing to worry about.  It may wear out your barrel in 39.5K rounds instead of 40K rounds.  It is nothing to be concerned about.

We found that Baranul and Uly were the best, but your rifle may not agree.  I would try several different brands that you have good constant access to, try them out, and go with what you like best.

In my stock pile I have almost every brand, commercial and military available.  I shoot them allas if there were no difference.

If I had a preference, I would buy only Barnaul and Uly. (but still have a ton of Wolf just for blasting, only because it is a quarter cent a round cheaper)
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't even worry about which ammo is best........it's all basically the same....just buy the cheapest one. why are you going to lay out more money for ammo, when you really don't have to? you're firing a AK......not some kind of tack driver. as for wear, your not going to wear the barrel out any faster if you buy the cheapest ammo out there vs the most expensive. the only wear you'll experience is the wear in your wallet, buying high priced ammo, and it won't perform any better then the cheap stuff.

just buy what is cheap and forget about which ammo is best.....you basically sound like some of the guys over on the other AK board "which ammo is best" "which is more accurate"..... give me a break.

the best bang for the buck is like 80 bucks for a case of ammo.....
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Ober,

Thanks for the link I'm printing it out now so I can read through all the info.

I'm not looking for EXPENSIVE or MATCH grade ammo......Just looking for the best bang for the buck.....

If two different ammo makers are within the same price range, but one shoots more consistantly or is a little cleaner I would rather get that brand of ammo.  Basically that is all I'm doing, searching for the best bang for the buck.

Anyone else that has anything to add feel free to chime in

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info guys.  I really liked the link that obershutze916 provided....It looks like Baranul FMJ is one if not the most consistant, I think I'll grab a couple of cases....Anyone know where to get the best prices on Baranul?  About the only place I've found is www.dansammo.com for $105 per 1,000 shipped.  Anyone know if anyone else has it cheaper.

BTW I remember reading that the Baranul runs a bit cleaner than Wolf...anyone able to confirm or deney this for me?

I appriciate the help

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 12:13:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
First check out this thread to see how Wolf and other brands stacked up in our tests.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=54&t=56018

The bi-metal in Wolf ammo is also in most other types of ammo as well.  It is nothing to worry about.  It may wear out your barrel in 39.5K rounds instead of 40K rounds.  It is nothing to be concerned about.

We found that Baranul and Uly were the best, but your rifle may not agree.  I would try several different brands that you have good constant access to, try them out, and go with what you like best.

In my stock pile I have almost every brand, commercial and military available.  I shoot them allas if there were no difference.

If I had a preference, I would buy only Barnaul and Uly. (but still have a ton of Wolf just for blasting, only because it is a quarter cent a round cheaper)

The 700 round per sealed can available lately is uly......65 bucks a can at CTD. J&G has it for slightly less than 60 bucks but might toast you on the shipping......all in all pretty comparable to Wolf price wise,,,and you can store it!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:12:45 AM EDT
[#7]
ak accuracy dosen't seem to depend on ammo I'm running through my AK, but latley I've been running Silver Bear Match (HAH!) through mine.  It seems to run a lot cleaner than Wolf or Barnaul.  Also if you go to gunshows, you might see some ammo called Red Hammer.  That stuff is made by Barnaul, so don't worry about that stuff.  It usually runs the same price a wolf so it's about the same.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:57:47 AM EDT
[#8]
The stuff in the spam can is Uly, and we found it to be pretty decent ammo.  I can't say how clean it was as by that time the rifles were so dirty it didn't matter anyway.

The Barnaul, Silver Bear Match (made by Barnaul) is cleaner than Wolf.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:10:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Obershutze!!

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Glad to help.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top