Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/24/2003 3:01:59 PM EDT
hey again guys,

I know bulletfest is pretty much a blast away at everything and everyone will be busy and it might not be possible but could maybe someone help me sight in my AK? I dont have any AK tools yet. It's not too far off I can hit a 3x4 steel plate at 200 yards everytime. so its not too far off but when I shoot at a 2 liter bottle at around 90 yds it doesn't hit it but it hits around it.  

I haven't had anyone to help me or the tools to do it nor the time.

thanks
slov
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
If we can find a place to do it, I would be more than happy to help.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#3]
ober,

I was also thinking it might be hard to find a little area to do it. especially since I expect the hail of lead to be unreal.

I'm not stupid and I can sight some things in. Example I sighted in my friends AR-180b pretty close on Saturday. He was hitting a 2 liter bottle at 100 yards no problem standing up with it so we decided that was close enough for bulletfest.

I've had my AK and FAL for quite a while and haven't got either of them sighted in properly. kind of depressing actualy. At least I have the tools for the FAL and can do it the AK I don't have the B-Square tool i'd like to have to adjust without marring the finish and I don't have a sight post tool for the AK type sight.

thanks
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#4]
aimless,

yeah I kinda just spray it at stuff

you know according to VPC it was made to spray bullets from the hip anyways
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Pretty good shooting hitting that plate at 200!
Will be bringing my sight tool. I don't think you'll be lacking for help at BFIV.
Get yourself prepared beforehand by reviewing these sight-in procedures:
linx310.nothingbutguns.com/sightin.htm
2 pages long.
Bring a few good sight-in targets(make your own and/or get the standard orange or black bullseyes), good amount of ammo from the same lot, and if you got it, a spotting scope or good pair of binoculars.
This will be the first 'Fest for me, so I'm not sure what a good link-up spot would be. My boy and I will be dragging around a red wagon.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#7]
When shooting the plate at 200 vs. the bottle, where is your rear sight setting at?
Is it left the same for both, or do you set it for the different range?
At the start, or during a target set break, you may be able to set up your sight-in targets on a backing on either side of the line away from the center of action. Maybe mark it with visable orange 'sight-in/no shoot". Hopefully other shooters would be understandingHaving a few targets posted would eliminate the need for walking down and taping during breaks.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
When shooting the plate at 200 vs. the bottle, where is your rear sight setting at?
Is it left the same for both, or do you set it for the different range?

when I was shooting the plate I set my elevation up to the 200 mark since I knew it was right at close to 200 yards
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
some useful info:
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=54&t=56369

Remember, every rifle will have a different initial POI.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I remember reading that the Green Berets (is that term out of fashion now? anyway...) were having a tough time teaching the new afghan military recruits because even though they had fought a lot with AKs and shot a lot, they just didn't use the sights.

I wonder how the Afghans are as marksmen pound for pound against American GIs. I'd wager someone who is a better instinctive shot, is a better combat soldier, than one who was trained only over their sights.

It brings a better question up, how does one train as an instinctive marksman?  

I'm reading a book about Mujahideen engagements against the Soviets in the 80s, and although taking heavy losses, they exacted a terrible toll against Soviet troops, often armed with Khyber Pass rifles and old Russian M.44s!

Good stuff, written for the USMC a couple of years back, very technical from a military standpoint, kinda dry if your looking for a good novel though....

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top